Algin Tenkian

Tank Jr.

I started reading Neal Asher's books about a couple of months ago, and am now as far Gridlinked in the Polity series, hoping that I have not missed any of it following Neal's posted time line in his own post in another thread.

Like many visitors to this forum I have found that Neal really offers a fleshed out Science Fiction Universe crammed with tech and society that is rare among other authors. (Yes.. Hooked for good..)

I'm about three quarters of the way through Gridlinked and the name Algin Tenkian popped up a few times with some very short accounts on some of his achievements in the Polity Universe and of his weapons designs shop and fascinating earlier life that lead from being initially a member of the resistance groups (An actual terrorist..) to being an agent for the Polity and an inventor of the much mentioned material "Chainglass.."..

So I guess the reason I am here is to ask is there any more of Algin Tenkian in any other of Neal's books? Something where he plays a main character perhaps? He seemed such a fascinating and interesting character, far too interesting to only be a footnote in Gridlinked..!!

Oh well, looks like he probably doesn't appear in any other Polity book Hmmm.

May I humbly request Mr. Asher. Sir. That you tell us a lot more about Algin Tenkian at some time in the future? No pressure. Haha.

I've not read the new Penny Black books from Asher yet and they are, I think, set (or at least begin) earlier in the timeline during the Prador War so it's possible he might pop up in there, but otherwise I've never come across anything other than references to him in any of the books.

Oh and welcome to the Chrons. Always good to have another Asher fan around. And you've got some great books to come; the Cormac books are all great and if you love Asher's complex universe you're going to just love the Spatterjay books when you come on to them! :D

Vertigo I have already read the Spatterjay books but haven't tried the Penny Black books as yet, but have read Prador Moon, Hilldiggers, Shadow of the Scorpion, The Gabble, The Technician, The Skinner, The Voyage of Sable Keech, Dark Intelligence (Not in this order, top of my head.. I tried to stick to the recc'd order available on Kindle..) and just love Asher's books for their surprise turns and "Big Picture.." stories. Have no fear, I will be sticking with them until I've read them all now.

Going back to Algin Tenkian, I came across other short references to him in some of those other books I have mentioned, his custom weapons being of the greatest fame but the most tantalising glimpse of him, was for me in Gridlinked. I thought maybe Neal Asher had plans for him or had maybe featured him in some earlier book that I had missed. Cormac is a great Character as is the Brass man that lurks about with the evil Pelter.. I feel there is a lot more to revealed about his story too and have yet to read Brass Man to fill the gap.

Thanks for the reply, it's been helpful to me. It's been nothing but a enjoyable pleasure to read some proper Sci-Fi again, Cheers.

Ah, it wasn't Penny Black I meant to say (I'm a little brain dead at the moment) it was Penny Royal, and Dark Intelligence is the first of the two (I think) books on he/she/it. So if you've read that one and he doesn't appear there then I suspect that's it. Brass Man is such a good character and the book is excellent.

I thought maybe Penny Black was some earlier precursor to Penny Royal hehe.. Ok thanks for the heads up, abandon search :)

There are only scattered references to Tenkian - unless there's something in 'Runcible Tales', a copy of which I have yet to lay hands on.

From your list of titles read you've yet to properly meet 'The Owner'. 'The Departure' is excellent stuff, and there are two more volumes of it to follow up. Probably should have held off on 'Dark Intelligence' though, as later bits of the 'Cormac' series contain the reason for the new novels.

There are only scattered references to Tenkian - unless there's something in 'Runcible Tales', a copy of which I have yet to lay hands on.

From your list of titles read you've yet to properly meet 'The Owner'. 'The Departure' is excellent stuff, and there are two more volumes of it to follow up. Probably should have held off on 'Dark Intelligence' though, as later bits of the 'Cormac' series contain the reason for the new novels.

Thanks for that steely, yeah I think you are right, I have read Runcible Tales.. - I'm reading Cowl, right now and when I finish that trilogy/group it'll be time to start searching out for The Owner and The Departure.. Yes I read Dark Intelligence and chronologically that's a bit out of synch but the tropes themselves are so well fleshed out and rich, that I think I'll still be able to enjoy them as much as all the other Asher stuff that I've read..

I still wish that Algin Tenkian would be given a book though, fascinating character that Neal could really capitalize on as he seems such a capable character.. :)

Back