Hieronymus Bosch 500 years

Allegra

I was totally blown-away when I first found online by chance Bosch's forever beyond-the-future painting The Garden of Earthly Delight, it's hard to believe it was painted in 15 century. Bosch died in 1516, for his 500 years anniversary, all his 50 or so paintings are gathered from all over the world in display in Madrid's Prado museum. I happened to be there weeks ago and felt extremely lucky to see this painting and all his others with my own eyes. The exhibition will run till September. If anyone goes that way, don't miss it! I think no SFF lovers will not be blown-away like me by this painting alone, which is a permanent showpiece in Prado because Philip II bought the painting in 1591. Plenty scholars have tried to decode this painting and have written plenty of books, but it remains an enigma.

The front 3 panels:
825px-El_jard%C3%ADn_de_las_Delicias%2C_de_El_Bosco.jpg

At the back close the 2 side panels:
330px-Hieronymus_Bosch_-_The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights_-_The_exterior_%28shutters%29.jpg

Based on a sketch by Bosch, one of his followers painted this interesting painting "Concert in the Egg', also in the exhibition:

1024px-Concert_in_the_Egg.jpg

There are so many mind-boggling details in the complex painting, such as:

800px-Bosch_Jardin_des_delices_detail.jpg

(the face on the right is the painter himself)

Bosch_the_Prince_of_Hell_with_a_cauldron_on_his_head.JPG

1024px-Hieronymus_Bosch_-_Triptych_of_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights_%28detail%29_-_WGA2516.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Extollager Art 1