sci-fi alien invasion book recommendations?

RIP Paul

a fly tramp
-looking for books with plots revolving around an alien invasion
-preferably stories set in smaller settings, such as an alien invasion from the perspective of one family in their home/ town

I see that Jo's wonderful novel Inish Carraig was mentioned several times in the other thread. I wonder if you've had the chance to read it yet, RIP Paul? It's a terrific read, and fits your list of desired traits exactly. CC

Harry Turtledove's "In The Balance" books were of an alien invasion that took place in the second world war and spun an alternative universe. They may be a little dated, but i remember them being pretty good.

I also read L. Ron Hubbard's Invasion Earth series. Ten mediocre books in the series that i waded through in the nineties. I don't remember too much about them, but they were better than Battlefield Earth.

The Invasion of the Body Snatchers by Jack Finney and The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham spring to mind. Both have interesting slants on alien invasion.

H.G.Wells's "The War Of The Worlds", the one that started it all, not bad for 1898!!!
"Footfall" by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle is worth a read, it's been a while since I read it but I remember it as quite good.

The Man-Kzin Wars started by Larry Niven.

psik

Footfall by Niven and Pournelle is a really good read.

Way of the Pilgrim by Gordon R. Dickson (caveat: while it's an excellent novel, a portion of which won Gordy a Hugo, it's not really about an alien invasion of Earth, so much as about the subsequent Occupation and resistance movement).

I really enjoyed John Ringo's Troy Rising series.

Thanks for this thread, btw. I've been looking for some good alien invasion books as well. I'm going to have to take a look at some of the suggestions here.

The Silence by Tim Lebbon is a good read, it's not aliens that invade but it's still an invasion story, worth checking it out

The story Avoidance Situation by James V. McConnell offers an amusing twist on the alien invasion premise.

i think you had some suggestions in this thread?

looking for low-fi, sci-fi book suggestions!

Alien invasions seem, for me, to be bizarrely rare in modern sci fi. Which is sad cos I love a good alien invasion. I'll watch with interest. :)
Has it moved to YA? Like the Fifth Wave and that one by Stephanie Meyer. I'm a total sucker for bodysnatching aliens and pod people but once you know the original story i dont think you can repeat the suspense with anew version.

Has it moved to YA? Like the Fifth Wave and that one by Stephanie Meyer. I'm a total sucker for bodysnatching aliens and pod people but once you know the original story i dont think you can repeat the suspense with anew version.
I think it's about doing things differently. Certainly, that's the feedback I get most often on Inish Carraig - that readers find the pared back, close and personal story refreshingly different for the genre which can be, for sure, too formulaic. I do know one of the big sf imprints rejected it as they didn't feel an alien invasion would sell. (This was 2 years ago - the market may have changed.)

Absolutely, I wasn't referring to Mayers book. I meant the IOTBS book and film. First 2 films were great but every one since just rehashes it, because the highly evolved concept only has so many interpretations. And there's no surprise when the pods spew out a doppleganger as we already know that will happen having seen the first movie a million times.
Everyone seems odd
Pods are replacing everyone with emotionless doppelgangers
We have to escape.
We can't escape, because they're everywhere.
We're dopplegangers too.

There was a series that came out on TV a few years ago based on IOTBS, I really enjoyed it but unfortunately they decided not to carry on with it :(