If they Did a TV Series Set In The LoveCraft Universe ?

Some stories, such as The Call of Cthulhu could easily make for an entire season or more.

Make along the same lines of American Horror Story ? If they structured the series like that, they could cover the whole mythos. :)

colonial times

I can see putting a Lovecraftian series into colonial times, although imho the 1920's seems better suited to the atmosphere of the stories (the atmosphere of the "colonial times," it seems to me, is "polluted," as it were, by all the witch stories...)

But I think what I'd like to see is an attempt to introduce Lovecraft's universe into modern times -- it would be a challenge, but the contrasts of the eras could make for some great plot twists and images! Cthulhu on a reality show? Things from other dimensions haunting a spaceship on its way to Mars?

And perhaps we could make room for some of the non-Lovecraft homages -- that is, those attempts by other authors to do a "Lovecraft" story...? (Simak did one, for instance -- set on Pluto.)

I was thinking more like Night Gallery.

That would work as well.:)

One of my favorite episodes was

Camera Obsucra . Its based on a very good horror story of the same name by Basil Copper . Is one the best horror stories I've ever read. (y)

Make along the same lines of American Horror Story ? If they structured the series like that, they could cover the whole mythos. :)

I think that would be possible, though I don't think I would do it 'troupe' style where you have the actors appear again and again playing different parts. You could weave stories together, season to season. Some characters could have bit parts in some before appearing in their own.

Miskatonic University related characters have every opportunity to interact. Plus, Randolph Carter interacts with many. Maybe a sealed box with the label "Papers of the Late Francis Wayland Thurston, of Boston" finds its way into the library archives and is unboxed by Dr Armitage.

I think that would be possible, though I don't think I would do it 'troupe' style where you have the actors appear again and again playing different parts. You could weave stories together, season to season. Some characters could have bit parts in some before appearing in their own.

I like this! :)

How about a series on how students get by at Miskatonic University? I always wondered what the Student Union there would be like

I'd set it in the present day because I think people can identify with present day college students more easily and you also have more story possibilities. Maybe wrap in some SF stuff as Lovecraft seemed to like turning his themes to SF as well.

Last edited:
How about a series on how students get by at Miskatonic University? I always wondered what the Student Union there would be like

I'd set it in the present day because I think people can identify with present day college students more easily and you also have more story possibilities. Maybe wrap in some SF stuff as Lovecraft seemed to like turning his themes to SF as well.

Another take at the Hogwarts idea? A very, very different take...

Some of the stories don't really have a specific era associated with them but I think it would be neat to have at least some in the 20s / 30s, and then move some forward in time that aren't very time specific. Then you could introduce some characters as younger characters or students, that in turn are introduced later as adult characters when its their 'season'.

You could also have some 'always' characters that weave through several eras, such as Curwen (someone could 'just add water' later...) and Carter and some more monstrous ones like Pickman and Olmstead.

I always thought At The Mountains of Madness had series potential. The ancient city could be revealed as the Antarctic ice sheets shrink and the exploration of the city could at least span a miniseries if it was handled properly. As with all my TV series suggestions, I would put it on Netflix or HBO. Get some of the people who worked on Fringe to work on that series.

I always thought At The Mountains of Madness had series potential. The ancient city could be revealed as the Antarctic ice sheets shrink and the exploration of the city could at least span a miniseries if it was handled properly. As with all my TV series suggestions, I would put it on Netflix or HBO. Get some of the people who worked on Fringe to work on that series.

Yes, now that would be an incredible tv miniseries series . Why not have Guillermo Del toro write and produce the miniseries. (y)

Good idea, excellent choice.

He's one the few Producer/ directors/writers in Hollywood who could do a great job of adapting Lovecraft for either the big screen or small screen.

Last edited:
Somehow I imagine the only way a TV show could truly be Lovecraftian would mean tentacular slaughter of the nation-wide audience, each grabbed and pulled into the TV screen, never to be seen again while enduring aeons of darkness only leavened by the terror that they are not alone, that malevolent beings lurk in close proximity ready to absorb their consciousnesses in eldritch communion.

Or something like that.

Randy M.

Somehow I imagine the only way a TV show could truly be Lovecraftian would mean tentacular slaughter of the nation-wide audience, each grabbed and pulled into the TV screen, never to be seen again while enduring aeons of darkness only leavened by the terror that they are not alone, that malevolent beings lurk in close proximity ready to absorb their consciousnesses in eldritch communion.

Or something like that.

Randy M.

That'd be a great opening visual for the series!

Seems like the series wouldn't last very long, considering that the Earth wasn't lasting very long in his stories. And a caveat: Lovecraft himself warned, through his characters, against the imagery being presented, referring to his beings and panoramas as indescribable.

In 2014, I wrote the first season of a web series I'm not permitted to promote here as a new member. Anyway, I chose to give it an entirely modern setting, albeit based around the familiar Miskatonic University, which is planning its long-awaited return to Antarctica after 85 years. The story follows two professors who are forced to action when a copy of the Necronomicon is stolen from the British Museum by an eco-terrorist group calling themselves The Deep Ones. And it turns out a descendent of Randolph Carter is at the center of the conflict. One or two of the episodes are arguably stand-alones, but in general, it all leads up to the threat of what would happen when the Necronomicon falls into the wrong hands. We were commissioned to produce a pilot, which recently went live, but I've got about 98 more posts to go before I can share the link with you, per forum rules.