Ancient city ruins!

Are you saying that all the money I spent on Graham Hancock books was a terrible waste...

Graham Hancock books was a terrible waste...
Never heard of him, so I looked him up.
Seems a bit like Erich von Däniken
I wasted money on his book, but I was only 16 or 17 at the time. It took me quite a while to discover that most of the "facts" varied from outright lies to completely out of context. No internet then and I wasn't any good at research. I think I might have believed it for nearly a year.

Carl Sagan said:
That writing as careless as von Däniken's, whose principal thesis is that our ancestors were dummies, should be so popular is a sober commentary on the credulousness and despair of our times. I also hope for the continuing popularity of books like Chariots of the Gods? in high school and college logic courses, as object lessons in sloppy thinking. I know of no recent books so riddled with logical and factual errors as the works of von Däniken.[18]
—  Foreword to The Space Gods Revealed
My emphasis.

Why didn't they teach proper critical thinking in school? Instead we had one ordained minister teaching R.E, concentrating on natural explanations for all the "miracles" in the bible and another obsessed with Arab ideas about sex. No proper logic or philosophy or how to think critically in any subject. Critical Analysis in English Literature limited to learning official interpretations.
Physics and Chemistry had almost nothing on the "Scientific Method".

Nice free download Origin of the Space Gods
Link to article on how von Däniken recycled Lovecraft
Charioteer of the Gods
also his commercial book here (destination of a broken javascript link in the text)
About the Book: The Cult of Alien Gods

The History Channel and Discovery Channel have way too much speculative and New Age religion presented as fact.

Last edited:
I wasted so much time on Hancock(a good writer, but nuts), Daniken, Adrian Gilbert, the guys who wrote Holy Blood and Holy Grail and Lawerance Gardiner between the ages of 17 and 21. Then I grew up.

Back