THE BOOK REPORT: How many books do you own?

I've been trying to read 100 books a year for many years. I lost a bunch (a couple thousand) to a hurricane 13 years ago. Right now I have about 2000 mixed between hard cover and paperback (about half and half). I also have about 1200 audiobooks.

I've been trying to read 100 books a year for many years. I lost a bunch (a couple thousand) to a hurricane 13 years ago. Right now I have about 2000 mixed between hard cover and paperback (about half and half). I also have about 1200 audiobooks.

I tried to read a hundred books last year and failed. (I know! I know! But in my defense, I'm a very slow reader and I have a tendency to read doorstops. Either physical or intellectual. Metaphorically. Very few actual doorstops contain significant amounts of text. And... let's just forget this aside ever happened.)

I'm on target this year, though, according to my Goodreads. At least if I include comic books.

Last year was my best year since the 80s. 120 and that included some large novels. Not counting comic books which I also read a bunch of.
Me and a mate tried to drink 100 pints of beer in a week during our first year at university. We gave up on Wednesday. I still enjoy beer but not on a schedule. Same with books.

You do realize that when you drink beer your only renting it for a short time!

I've just checked my Kindle and I have 310 books on there.

Some are digital copies of favourites I already have in paperback/hardback, and there are a few shared books from my wife in there. Please a few borrowed from the Amazon lending library.

Even still, I would properly need two big new bookshelves to cope with all those books - if in physical form. Which is what I love about ebooks - not only do I tend to buy them much cheaper than paperback, I also save a lot of money on new shelves I have no room for. Lots of books with money saved = good. :)

A year ago my count was 4,086 books. Today the count is 4,054 -- despite the fact that I have acquired more than I expected to since then. I've given away a lot of books, too -- 56 in the past few days.

I have it down to 3,923 as of today.

Oops removed post, I'd forgot I'd already posted something similar when this thread started - post #8

That seemed to cause some trouble so I thought it best to edit this one.

Sorry if you've already read that but it has the same sentiments as my first post so you could always look at that.

I do have a book by some guy called Brian G Turner. I'm saving it as a holiday read.

Last edited:
Thought some folks might like to post updates, and some Chronsters who haven't posted on this thread might like to do so.

I keep promising myself I'll do this, but the majority of my books are in boxes, I do know I have 2 in my handbag, there is currently 13 spread around living room, 2 in kitchen, 1 in bathroom and 17 in bedroom.

I will eventually organise the boxes but they are heavy and I'd have to carry them upstairs, then there is the distraction of discovering an old favourite or a forgotten purchase you have to read.

Tell us when you rip the cover of it, so we can castigate you for being a right numpty again, won't you?

It'll probably be the first day. I'll be there lying on the beach, semi naked, desperately looking round for something to mark my progress while I go to the bar. I suppose I might just snap the cover back to break the spine, but the trouble with that is the book always opens at that page. When you've moved on it keeps dragging you back to the same place. Ripping bits of the cover off is just convenient.

A new method I've discovered since my original post is to rip out pages I've read - say about twenty pages before. It has the advantage that you can leave the book lying around when you've finished it. Then when people pick it up to read they get to that page and... On the plus side. this encourages them to purchase another copy so it's all good for the author - Win win. Obviously when I've finished the book the last page is the first to go - That sounds odd, but you get my drift.

Highest count was in 2016: 4,135
Count as of end of 2018: 3,940

Some folks who might be interested in this thread might not have seen it.

Please see first posting for thoughts on what counts as a book.

THE BOOK REPORT: How many books do you own?

When the end of 2019 arrives, I want my total to remain under 4,000.

It'll probably be the first day. I'll be there lying on the beach, semi naked, desperately looking round for something to mark my progress while I go to the bar. I suppose I might just snap the cover back to break the spine, but the trouble with that is the book always opens at that page. When you've moved on it keeps dragging you back to the same place. Ripping bits of the cover off is just convenient.

A new method I've discovered since my original post is to rip out pages I've read - say about twenty pages before. It has the advantage that you can leave the book lying around when you've finished it. Then when people pick it up to read they get to that page and... On the plus side. this encourages them to purchase another copy so it's all good for the author - Win win. Obviously when I've finished the book the last page is the first to go - That sounds odd, but you get my drift.
Tein, have you ever felt like you want to slowly torture someone to death then bring them back and start again ?
TREAT BOOKS WITH RESPECT.