• Published a book you want to tell us about? Uploaded a YouTube video you want to share?

Normally you'll need 100 posts to self-promote, but with an upgraded membership you can do so with your first post.

Find out more here: Become a Supporting Member

THE BOOK REPORT: How many books do you own?

Lafayette

Man of Artistic Fingers
Do NOT sit down next to me on the bus and start nattering about the weather, excecting me to respond. Do not do it!! Please! It's my valuable time between home/work.

As I live in a sort-of rural area I will in fact answer a maximum two questions, then go back to my reading -- or my phone. You'll be lucky to get a grunt out of me after that. I give you fair warning. Sorry, please don't think I'm being rude :)

EDIT: Man, don't try that on the London Underground, lol ...
Since you live in the UK and I in the USA that won'y won't be a problem.

I thought England was suppose to be 'Jolly Old England'.

Last edited:

TheEndIsNigh

...Prepare Thyself
Supporter
Tein, have you ever felt like you want to slowly torture someone to death then bring them back and start again ?
TREAT BOOKS WITH RESPECT.
Waterboarding you mean?

I'm hurt that you should suggest a thing. :giggle:

I mean it's not as though people can't read the bits of the book they've got: decide if they like it and then go and buy a copy themselves.

BigBadBob141

REF:Lafayette
Old yes, but not so jolly now days!
But a least we still have free health care for now!!
Plus most of our police officers do not carry guns!!!

soulsinging

the dude abides
View attachment 50005

Ive got 'the Alchemist'. Dropped off by my daughter, a couple of years ago, but still unread. Have you read it?
I have. It's a very quick read, and is really more of an extended parable than a novel I'd say. The ideas are nothing really new or groundbreaking, but I thought it did a good job conveying those ideas in a simple and engaging format. You won't be blown away by complex characters or an immersive plot. Rather, it's the sort of book you read when feeling a bit overwhelmed or discouraged in life, and hopefully at the end you've got a little more peace of mind and perspective. It's really about how easy it is to get caught up in a specific disappointment or failure and focus on how that keeps up from attaining what we want, to the extent that we don't see how those failures are often necessary to make sure we're "ready" when those wants are actually within reach.

Randy M.

I had a nagging sense Coelho was nudging events to make sure his ending arrived at the philosophical point he was trying to make and wasn't covering his interference quite as well as one would like. Even so, I think Soulsinging has pretty well summarized the final effect of the book on the reader. It's a hopeful journey and seems to be a touchstone for at least one generation of readers needing a hopeful ending.

Randy M.

soulsinging

the dude abides
I had a nagging sense Coelho was nudging events to make sure his ending arrived at the philosophical point he was trying to make and wasn't covering his interference quite as well as one would like. Even so, I think Soulsinging has pretty well summarized the final effect of the book on the reader. It's a hopeful journey and seems to be a touchstone for at least one generation of readers needing a hopeful ending.

Randy M.
There was definitely a heavy authorial hand guiding events... deus ex authorina? I'm pretty sure I read it around the same time I was 1) in the thick of GRRM and Abercrombie's series and 2) beginning to feel the effects of the impending financial meltdown... so I'd agree the message was timely for me and a lot of other people. It was kind of a brief cultural phenom, and I often pair it mentally with Life of Pi, which was released a little earlier I think. Both successful fiction/pop-philosophy mashups.

RJM Corbet

Deus Pascus Corvus
I have. It's a very quick read, and is really more of an extended parable than a novel I'd say. The ideas are nothing really new or groundbreaking, but I thought it did a good job conveying those ideas in a simple and engaging format. You won't be blown away by complex characters or an immersive plot. Rather, it's the sort of book you read when feeling a bit overwhelmed or discouraged in life, and hopefully at the end you've got a little more peace of mind and perspective. It's really about how easy it is to get caught up in a specific disappointment or failure and focus on how that keeps up from attaining what we want, to the extent that we don't see how those failures are often necessary to make sure we're "ready" when those wants are actually within reach.

Randy M.
Ok I'll take on the bus to work and see if I get into it. It's quite thin, so not a brick to have in my bag, which is a requirement for 'bus books'.

You know when I was younger I could enjoy the philosophical stuff. I suppose as I've got a bit older I've developed a philosophy by experience. Every now and again something or someone may come along to shake it around a bit, but I'm no longer the sponge for philosophical thoughts and ideas I once was.

So if I find it a bit mundane, I usually just put it aside, without perhaps persevering on to discover hidden gems. Marcus Aurelius suffered that fate in my hands, I'm afraid. Even though Jeeves often quotes him. There wasn't enough original thought to keep my attention.

But it might have ignited me when I was young.

I prefer trying to know a bit about the strange mysteries of 21st century science these days. It moves so fast.

Last edited:

Extollager

Here's a compilation of readers writing about their personal libraries.

My own official count has inched up to 4,014. Spring-cleaning downsizing of reading matter is, I think, imminent, but I might toss some old magazines that I saved when the university threw away nearly all of its serials archive, rather than eliminating very many books.