The Left Hand of Darkness

Discussion in 'Ursula K Le Guin' started by John Thiel III, May 26, 2016.

1. John Thiel III

John Thiel III I'm sitting with a south shoe.

I had to leave "The Left Hand of Darkness" way back when I was in college, it was required reading for my science fiction literary course. I was highly there in class discussions of the book, because, as I mentioned to the teacher of the course, I wanted to sound out how my views on the book took if I was going to be able to get good grades on my test. That's when the teacher started to talk about how indirect the book was. Finally he said, "There's never been another like it." I said, "Yes there was" and mentioned Chad Oliver's "Blood's a Rover" that was in, I think, the Groff Conklin anthology "Operation Future", or one of the Conklin anthologies, anyway. The title was considered inexplicable in that course. I offered, "Genli Ai might have said, "Gen'ly I shake with my left" and had them all wondering if the author really had this word play in mind. "It shows you've read it word for word," the teacher said. "I'd give you an A on that, if it was the only thing I was grading."

2. Ray McCarthy

Ray McCarthy Sentient Marmite: The Truth may make you fret.

3. BAYLOR

BAYLOR There Are Always new Things to Learn.

Couldn't get into it.

4. johnnyjet

johnnyjet Western PA Country Boy

Still one of my all-time favorite novels.

5. DZara

DZara Petite Flower Member

It was a hard read for me, but there were parts of it I loved. Want to read more of her short work.

6. johnnyjet

Hi, DZara from Texas! Ursula LeGuin is one of my all-time favorite authors, but she is a highly literary author and, for that reason, can sometimes be difficult to read. Definitely search out her shorter works. Her collection The Wind's Twelve Quarters has some of her best work: The Wind's Twelve Quarters: Ursula K. Le Guin: 9780060914349: Amazon.com: Books

By the way, welcome to the Chrons, @DZara! You should introduce yourself in the Introductions section.

DZara likes this.
  7. DZara

DZara Petite Flower Member

Thanks, Johnny. Didn't know there was an introductions section - be right over as soon as I find it. :)

8. johnnyjet

9. galanx

galanx Well-Known Member

One of the greatest s-f novels. My main objection was that she used standard masculine pronouns- he, him, his- even when the characters were in neuter phase, which weakened the effect. Of course it's hard to do otherwise in English.