what's a sci-fi book that you always wanted to be made into a movie?

Revelation Space would make a good TV series.

I'd love Iain M. Bank's Excession to be made into a movie.

The Reality Disfunction would be pretty cool. Opportunities for space battles and I'd love to see what they make of a Voidhawk.

Can't agree with the first one, particularly the way that series pans out (possibly just me though). And not sure that Reality Dysfunction would work, the setting is amazing but the story with those coming 'back' I would think would put off a lot of viewers (I know it certainly did for me), agreed though that Voidhawks (and Blackhawks) would be awesome - I would even go so far as to say I would use Muse's Exogenesis tracks as a base soundtrack for this. I think the Commonwealth Saga would work much better on screen, initially this could certainly be done on a much lower budget.

The Hyperion Cantos - Dan Simmons
The Gaea Trilogy - John Varley

Absolutely with Hyperion, but not sure how that would translate into a big screen version though with the different stories. Maybe a small screen series version but would be possible but even then might feel disjointed...

The Elric Series
Stranger in a Strange Land
Broken Stone
Deathlands Series
The Darwath Trilogy
Dragons Bane (by Barbara Hambley)
Chronicles of the Chesuli

The House on The Borderland by William Hope Hodgson
The High Crusade Poul Anderson
City by Clifford Simak
Typewriter in the Sky by L Ron Hubbard
The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester
More then Human by Theodore Sturgeon
Magus Rex by Jack Lovejoy
Ghost by Piers Anthony

this is a great list with some near-forgotten gems.

Re the house on the borderland, it felt like 2 stories put together. the horror/suspense story and the metaphysical story (which sort-of lost me or at least my interest).

My pick for book to movie, without regard for the marketability or economic sense in any such movie could include

Titan (varley)
The dragon never sleeps (cook) this would be a long movie...
Ranks of Bronze - drake

would A Talent for War (mcdevitt) work?

Can't agree with the first one, particularly the way that series pans out (possibly just me though).

it isn't just you. He badly botched the formal ending of that series. I was very disappointed.

as a stand-alone, revelation space could be set up like the original Alien in terms of suspense, etc., and potentially be quite effective. A bit tricky when you never seen the main antagonist. that always works better in prose.

Last edited:
I'd like to see Hugh Howey's Silo series adapted for the screen. Seveneves would be good too.

I would like to see the Thomas Covenant Series put to film. I'd especially like seeing the ur-viles in combat, in their wedge formation being led by a lore master. So that would mean either the Illearth War or The Power that Preserves.

Add to that the scenery and different cultures in the Land. I think it would be very neat/interesting.

I daresay I'm echoing someone from earlier in the thread but none of them. I'd rather see great new stories made specifically for the big screen then old stories mutilated to fit.

I think the medium of a serial TV show is the way forwards. They'd have the space to breath then. GOT, Wayward Pines and The Expanse have proven the concept in my eyes.

Hyperion, would definetly be the number one choice.
The Nights Dawn Trilogy

And...

Unfathomed.

I think the medium of a serial TV show is the way forwards. They'd have the space to breath then. GOT, Wayward Pines and The Expanse have proven the concept in my eyes.

Hyperion, would definetly be the number one choice.
The Nights Dawn Trilogy

And...

Unfathomed.

Also, things worth looking at are mini episodes on line - getting very popular and more cost effective for small producers according to some explorations I've been carrying out - not least attempting writing a screenplay. I also think - as writers - if we have something that has a setting that is filmable on Earth without too many effects we have more chance of someone looking at it.

I get the usual comments of 'I could see this as a film' in reviews but know that to adapt Abendau would be Space Epic with inherent costs as well as a huge job to turn into screenplay. But Inish Carraig ... It's set on Earth, in a location with a huge amount of film resources (the legacy of Game of Thrones is a burgeoning film industry in Northern Ireland) with a linear story that's straightforward to adapt (on first run it has come out at 140 pages and needs a chop of about 20% only.) If I were to, for the sake of argument, pitch a screenPlay that's the one to go for.

I always thought "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" would make a good movie. Although seeing how "Starship Troopers and "Damnation Alley" came out, shudder. I thought for its time though "Puppet Masters" was not to bad and fairly true to the book.

Harry Harrison: The Stainless Steel Rat - Classic 'Pulp' action, adventure and an attractive partner in crime.