Plot Help

How about selling them to a necromancer, who uses them to raise an undead army? Your heromay turn a blind eye as long as he gets paid as he is a bounty hunter.

Or what about emptying the demon souls out of the jars into some enchanted concrete-like stone, which sets into gargoyle style demon figures? He could make a fortune selling the statues as artworks with a twisted secret. Maybe if you break them the demons escape...

How about selling them to a necromancer, who uses them to raise an undead army? Your heromay turn a blind eye as long as he gets paid as he is a bounty hunter.

Or what about emptying the demon souls out of the jars into some enchanted concrete-like stone, which sets into gargoyle style demon figures? He could make a fortune selling the statues as artworks with a twisted secret. Maybe if you break them the demons escape...
I like both of these ideas, which is great, and if i continue this into a series, maybe I will explore these. I like the gargoyle one in particular. Thank you.

Can demons actually be destroyed? I get the feeling they (or at least the Christian version) are a bit like Djinn, which can only be rendered captive and the problem handed down to posterity. After all, they are mostly angels, pure soul material that chose an anti-human position at creation, and who's to say they were wrong?

Hindu demons seem a bit more killable, but since reincarnation is a pillar of the philosophy they're probably just sent back to try again as protozoans.

I think that approach I am going with is this:
1-The Warrior monk is gathering the demons in these jars, because his niece was taken by a demon and is trapped in a jar being forever tormented.
2-Because his work is not sanctioned by the priesthood, the monk is rogue, but he is doing this for his sister's child, which is all that he has left of the world.
3-His supplies are limited, because he took what he could before he left, so he only has so much to do his 'work'. He has just enough traps (Clockwork-type cold iron balls, that unlock, create the trap, and then rotate and create the lock. and a Bo Staff with runes that burn demons when they are hit by it.)
4-He traps these demons to trade for her soul to free her from the everlasting torment, though he knows what he is doing is wrong, this is his purpose for the story. (His flawis his love for the last soul of his family.)
*NOTE* Demons cannot be killed, but there is a way to send them back to hell with a ceremony so that they may not return ever again.
*NOTE-2* There is also a way to 'kill' the vessel that carries the demon, forcing it to retreat to the depths, and have to start over again trying to return to their world. Not as permanent though.
There is also a second demon hunter that he bumps heads with, because she is getting revenge for her entire town being wiped out by demons. So there will be two different methods of fighting and killing or capturing what I am now calling HELLIONS.

I'm interested in the personal motivation aspect, that is, to save his (dead?) sister's child. Let me preface my comments to follow by saying that I do not want to stick my fingers into your pie and derail your train of thought. A character's motivations are stronger and strongest when they hit very close to the character's heart and soul. In the "Dororo" example, the main character is hunting demons to recover his own body parts.

My suggestion is to think about a couple of things. First, why did you decide to put his niece in jeopardy instead of his own little sister, his own child, etc. The further removed, the less gut-wrenching it is as a plot device. And if your heart is set on it being the niece, then think of how can you make it compelling. Such as, if he feels guilty for his sister's death because demons attacked the household and he failed to defend her so it's his fault that she's dead and he feels responsible for the niece and to make things right. Or you could establish that it's a female-centric culture and it's his duty to defend the matrilineal bloodline. In other words, he's honor bound.

At the end of the day, it's YOUR story and you should absolutely do whatever feels right to you.

I'm interested in the personal motivation aspect, that is, to save his (dead?) sister's child. Let me preface my comments to follow by saying that I do not want to stick my fingers into your pie and derail your train of thought. A character's motivations are stronger and strongest when they hit very close to the character's heart and soul. In the "Dororo" example, the main character is hunting demons to recover his own body parts.

My suggestion is to think about a couple of things. First, why did you decide to put his niece in jeopardy instead of his own little sister, his own child, etc. The further removed, the less gut-wrenching it is as a plot device. And if your heart is set on it being the niece, then think of how can you make it compelling. Such as, if he feels guilty for his sister's death because demons attacked the household and he failed to defend her so it's his fault that she's dead and he feels responsible for the niece and to make things right. Or you could establish that it's a female-centric culture and it's his duty to defend the maternal bloodline. In other words, he's honor bound.

At the end of the day, it's YOUR story and you should absolutely do whatever feels right to you.
I understand the removal aspect. I went with niece, because he was trained as a monk, and he had no wife or child of his own. His sister's husband died (war, or something similar) and the hero was raising the little niece like his own child, so even though he is 'uncle' he has been fulfilling the role of 'father'.
His sister is dead, killed by a hellion, which is what causes my monk to leave the order and go rogue, because they would not authorize his mission to kill the hellion, and gave it to someone else. It is that whole, 'this time, it is personal' scenario. He is honor-bound, but to his family first, which is another crime in the monk-hood, as he should love everyone equally, so he is banished anyway because he had a selfish love for another person, instead of a pure love for all. They are protectors of the peace and humanity, which is why they are not permitted to have families.
One of the other monks knew that he was seeing his sister and niece (sneaking out at night) but he allowed it, because he had hoped that this would show him the value of love, but it turned against the hero, who now, has to try and free the soul of his niece, because his sister's dying words were to 'take care of her', because she did not know that they demon had taken her into the soul trap.

Anyway, that was my idea, though, I question how this will all play out. I have begun the take yesterday, and continued this morning, so I will see how this all plays out in 80K words (I hope)