Best fantasy books of the last 10 years or so?

The Big Peat

Darth Buddha
To cut a long story short, I realised today that I've basically read nothing new in the last ten years save for The First Law. Ok, and maybe some other things I read but didn't clock as new.

So I was hoping to grab some recommendations on what I've been missing so I could start to catch up. Uhm. Yeah, that's about the size of it.

Thanks for any tips.

What sort of stuff do you like going from your mention of First Law I'm gonna guess fantasy.

Mark Lawrence - Got a few trilogies of gritty fantasy out. Good quality.
Brandon Sanderson - A bit lighter but still very good. He's done a few series of fantasy stuff but a few years ago he started The Stormlight Archive which is probably gonna end up being his magnum opus.

Adrian Tchaikovsky - Has a fantasy series called Shadows of the Apt that he wrote in the last 10 years. The premise sounds gimmicky when you start reading but it's a fairly mature read.

Steven Erikson - Wrote a 10 part epic fantasy series called Malazan Empire. Haven't read it myself but it's well regarded.

Brent Weeks - Lightbringer and Way of Shadows series are well thought of.

Brian Stavenley - Recieived criticism on treatment of female characters but beyond that the reviews are good and the full trilogy is out and ready to read (this one is very new)

Scott Lynch - Gentleman ******* series is a bit different as it deals with thieves and the like but the downside is the author has trouble with release schedules (owing to mental health difficulties) but there are about 4 novels out at the mo.

Pat Rothfuss - Has written two out of three novels in his Kingkiller Chronicle. Now I hated these books myself but they are extremely well regarded so perhaps it's just me, I thought I ought to mention it anyway. Also suffers from a similar problem with writing and releasing that Scott Lynch does but without the mental health difficulties as far as I know.

If you want me to go beyond fantasy Reccs just say.

After writing that I find it quite funny to note that I'm not a huge fan of long fantasy series - especially epic fantasy - so perhaps I'm not the best person to ask. But I like to think I can recognise a good book in a genre I'm not fond of. For example I can recognise that Jane Austen writes tremendously good romance novels despite not being a huge fan if that makes sense.

This is why I shouldn't make threads after midnight :D Yes, fantasy. Thanks Caliban.

This is why I shouldn't make threads after midnight :D Yes, fantasy. Thanks Caliban.

I've edited the thread title to reflect that. :)

Another one is Brian McClellan's Powder Mage trilogy, which is an almost Napoleonic setting. I wasn't sure I'd like it - I love my mediaeval settings - but his powder mage concept is unique and brilliantly done.

Mark Lawerence is great. His first 3 books are especially good.

The Powder Mage trilogy as mentioned by Brian is also worth a read.

Steven Erikson's Malazan series is just about the finest Fantasy series I have read.

R.Scott Bakker if you like your reading material on the dark side.

I will mention the fantasy books released post 2004-2005 that i think are very good,great reads and it can be fav subgenres like Heroic Fantasy/S&S or weird stuff i dont usually read.

This Forsaken Earth by Pual Kearney book 2 in his Sea Beggars series, it was a strong novel in dark in weird S&S way like REH, Gemmell.

Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor, World Fantasy 2011 award winner that is very different set in fantastic postapocalyptic subsaharan African inspired world. Its very well written, totaly unique setting, brutal story, adventure in very fantastical world. There is some action for S&S fans too but its more interesting for the cultures,peoples it build a fantastical story,world about.

I would also mention First Law books mostly for Glokta if it wasnt already recommended, its very good but i think Kearney is better version of Abercrombie.

Sea Beggars was that recent? Bloody 'eck. Okay, Sea Beggars and The First Law are about the only books I've read from this period :p Shame that series hasn't been completed yet.

First guy basically laid it out for you.
I can vouch for: Brandon Sanderson, Patrick Rothfuss and Scott Lynch!
Their books are great, really elevating fantasy a couple of notches.
The rest are still in my TBR pile.

Back