Game of Thrones: 6.04 - Book of the Stranger

ctg

weaver of the unseen
y9aM9E7.jpg

Littlefinger (Photo by Helen Sloan/HBO)

Tyrion strikes a deal; Jorah and Daario engage in a difficult task; Jaime and Cersei try to improve their situation.

It's very intriguing title given the role of the Stranger. I saw last week's episode as a bridge episode Kama so I'm expecting fireworks in this one.

Is it just me, or is anyone else incredibly anxious about being able to see the next episode of soon as possible? For me at least, I think it's about the show passing the books and not knowing what's coming, at least in most of the story arcs. I'm really enjoying the attention and anticipation.

Jon and Sansa reunited.....check

Pink letter.....check

Jon leading the North.....check

Things escalating rapidly in KL...check

Dany uniting the DothrakI and leading them.....check

Littlefinger going to war with Ramsay..... didn't see that coming.

Great episode. I cried like a little baby whenJon and Sansa hugged

Hard to argue that the HBO version of the Mother of Dragons is not fireproof, or at least highly fire resistant. That seems to be an important leadership quality among the Dothraki.

Yeah, I liked the Northern parts (except for Osha dying, didn't see the point except to drive home once again Ramsay character). Jon doesn't seem to have mentioned the white walkers to sansa yet. Good thing the faith thingie is reaching it's climax, it was getting a bit dull. Seems Cersei is attempting to make the Tyrells the evildoers whilst the Lannisters stand down for the faith. The vale is entering the battle. The arryn lord seems to completely trust Petyr, i doubt Sansa will still feel the same but it will prove interesting should they come across each other.

On a personal note, i can't wait to see Jon command and fight an even bigger army. Hardhome was cool, and you felt Jon becoming what the north (and the rest of the world) need him to be.

@Dany, methinks Drogon will have part to play in convincing the Dothraki to join her cause in the books, if they(the books) ever come out. I doubt it will happen like on tv. Unless GRRM decides to make her impervious to fire after all (he previously stated it to be a one time thing when the dragons where born). Seemed an easy and quick way to convince the dothraki. It works more or less, i'll give them that. I do wonder if Dany coated the floor with oil or something else beforehand cause that fire spread like crazy.

It made the meereen scenes with Tyrion look somewhat redundant though(after all why make peace with masters when you can annihilate them with Dothraki screamers), except for maybe help clean up the meereen mess, which need to be solved before Dany can truly move on.

I do hope dany and her dragons don't get too powerful though. It would eschew the balance of the world and possible make the endgame just between the others and her. Something I'd rather not see happening.

Last edited:
Jon's heart has grown bitter and cold since his soul return in his body. He resented Sansa's request to take back Winterfell like any old battle veteran, who has grown tired of war. In fact, he recites all the people, including "hanging a boy younger than Ricon," as a list of sins burdening his shoulders and I cannot blame him. War and killing does that to even strongest men, and it becomes quite easy task to refuse taking part in further slaughtering, when there is nothing else, Jon has done since he arrived at the Castle Black.

Yet, we know he has a big role in this play. Even Mellisandra calls him as a "prince that was promised, but not delivered." The question is will he take his role and take back his home, or will he head south like he should and become an old man by sea.

What I didn't knew, or couldn't even guess was Littlefinger's lies tying Vail armies to his devious play to take over the world. I think he's most ambitious man I've ever known. Probably most cunning after Hannibal Lecter. But certainly not the wisest as that title, in this realm, lies on Tyrion's shoulders.

I don't know how does everything that he do because he's not an alpha male, just smart enough to use his brain to rule over the absence of rules in the country that isn't his. I don't think for one second that he doesn't long to be home, in the Red Keep, drinking wine and doing some other activities if he were given a chance. Just I don't think that chance will come until next season and the end of this play. So in the meantime I love watching him playing politics like a grand master.

Only if people would listen him. But they don't. Just like they didn't listen Dany.

She claimed all her titles at front of his people, and asked to be set free. They didn't, because they're a culture tied to their traditions and there is no change in their ways. And for that reason I believe they had to go in a show of power. Mother of Dragons should not be played with. She has done awesome things in that part of the world, and she will continue doing so until her children are dead.

I just doubt her reign will go on for a lifespan of a dragon. It probably will be couple hundred at best. Not thousands that are certainly in grasp of those magnificent beasts. Unless Dany is a living god, is she?

doubt that dany is a god. balerion an co outlived their riders as well.

also, did i see tormund ogling brienne as a possible love interest?
brienne on her part looks puzzled.

also, mel seemed to get a pass from davos thx to brienne interruption.

did i see tormund ogling brienne as a possible love interest?
brienne on her part looks puzzled.

also, mel seemed to get a pass from davos thx to brienne interruption.
Oh, yeah. Tormund definitely has a thing for Brienne. I interpreted her look more as embarrassment than puzzlement. Either way, she didn't seem to return the interest.

Davos doesn't doesn't yet know Shireen's fate or the part Mel played in it. I'm guessing Mel's long life will come to a short end when he gets the word.

doubt that dany is a god

How do you explain her invulnerability to fire and psychic connection to dragons?

“The end of episode 604 was definitely meant to consciously echo the end of episode 110,” Weis says. “It’s Dany stepping out a flame to great effect. This time it was just a much, much larger scale. It is as if a god has reborn.”

Last edited:
As if being the key in that sentence. What I foind intriguing is the comment on Jon Snow; That is why he gets himself killed. Is this commenting on his previous death or foreshadowing to him dying a second time.

Didn't enjoy this episode as much as the others, dull in places for me. However, there's so much set up for future episodes, I can't wait for next week!

Very glad Sansa turned up at castle black first thing - I was dreading a 'just missed him' story arc where Sansa has to gallop over the North in search of Jon

I don't think Dany is a god either, resistance to fire is just some innate ability she seems to have and the dragon connection - maybe a bit like a weaker - warging ability?

But surely her powers pale into insignificance compared to Bran and the three eyed Raven?

For me this was the best episode of the season so far. For once all the lead female characters are central and strutting their stuff.

1. In the North Sansa puts some steel into the heart of Jon. She wants revenge and her home back and nothing is going to stop her.

2. Brienne tells Davos and Mel the way things are.

3. As we always knew Margaery is much stronger than any of the men in her life. Loras and Tommen do not deserve someone of her depth.

4. Cersei is hellbent on murdering everyone to get revenge and it looks like she will get her way. I suspect the Tyrells will go down in flames and the Lannisters will pick up the the pieces.

5. The Mother of Dragons is back!

Great episode for the women in Westeros...apart from Osha.

Last edited:
This was one of my favorite episodes of all time. To actually have a happy moment in this show was a long time coming and reminded me of why we all love this show and these books so much.

I had never been to a viewing party before because I was always worried about people talking and I thought too much noise would be a problem. After viewing this episode at a party I am sold. When the gates opened and we saw Sansa the place erupted like a football game and I love how they did the scene without dialogue. Very powerful and the tears flowed.

The final scene with Dany also rocked the house. To be honest the Daenerys chapters in the books are not one of my favorite pov's but she is now giving Arya a run for my favorite bad ass.

I also am enjoying being past the books. Not knowing where we are going is so awesome.

If you get the chance to go to a viewing party please give it a shot. It is so much fun sharing this great show.

The final scene with Dany also rocked the house. To be honest the Daenerys chapters in the books are not one of my favorite pov's but she is now giving Arya a run for my favorite bad ass.
The Dothraki were equally impressed. Dany emerging unscathed from infernos seems to have that effect on them.

The Sansa/Jon reunion really has me thinking about how great it will be when Jon and Arya finally meet up. I am really looking forward to that and I'm hoping Needle will be there too.

Littlefinger is marching on Winterfell! And Jon and all the Stark banners, too? That should be interesting. :)

I didn't watch the last season, so hadn't realised Brienne killed Stannis - presumably while fighting Bolton - and presumably in revenge for Renly?

All this Dany business - so far I'd thought the producers over-looked the dragon. But the suggestion now is that Dany always had a plan, so she probably sent the dragon away. Either way, I hope her story line is now going somewhere (though did she really need all the Dothraki?!)

Finally get a sense of the overall story going somewhere and starting to build up to a conclusion - the way we'd always expected it to.