What's your writing stage/dream

1. You make the decision to write and publish a book. (many times since 1986)
2. You write a first draft. (14 now, fiction since 1991, some non-fiction earlier)
3. You publish a book, professional edits, proofreads and cover included.
4. Your book sells its first copy to a total stranger.
5. Your writing sells enough to buy you a cup of coffee once in a while.
6. Your book gets many reviews, preferably positive.
7. A reader contact you to compliment your work.
8. Bookbub agrees to promote your book. Who are Bookbub?
9. Your books sell more than X number of copies. (Whether it's 5 books or 50-thousand, I love those milestone threads.) [ I'd like to sell more than 1,500 a year, but can be spread across numerous titles ]
10. Your writing sells enough for you to quit your day job. Um... the paying "day job" ended in 2009. I write and edit (unpaid) most days.
11. You get (and perhaps turn down) an offer from a major traditional publisher.
12. You get your own [mentioned on] Wikipedia page [reference]. My websites have been quoted as references for some Wiki articles. I guess that doesn't count.
13. Your book hits the NYT bestseller list.
14. Your book is banned, or at least challenged. Storm in a tea cup and unfortunately private.
15. Your book is made into a movie, video game, or some other form of major mass media outside of literature. I suppose doesn't count that I wrote the adventure/platform game. Abandoned due to shortage of artists (we only had one). The game worked.
16. You're stalked as a result of your success.
17. You buy a private island.

Last edited:
Four was interesting and a bit like stage fright.

Seven was nice and even a bit uplifting.

Six never reared it head.

And the prospect of sixteen is probably the reason I've not worked toward going past seven.

I'm somewhere around seven, but I don't know who Bookbub are either. Someone did try to get me my own Wikipedia page, but apparently there isn't enough evidence to justify my existence. That said, I am listed as a steampunk author on another Wikipedia page. I suppose they haven't noticed that one yet.

I don't plan on settling for anything less than 11. Delusional or driven, probably the former.

Between #2 and #3 is a gray windowless Purgatory where time does not exist, where the drafts and rewrites of drafts and critiqued versions of drafts fill up multiple hard drives of multiple computers, and where one needs an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of the endless Sisyphean cycle of submissions and rejections. That's where I'm at.... and may forever be.

I've made it to 12, although I've unfortunately skipped over some of the lower numbers, like making enough money from my writing to quit my day job. A lot of times I didn't have a day job, but that wasn't because I was ever making so much off my writing that I quit a job that I had at the time.

Stage two! I'm working on it! Mu husband wants a helipad and a helicopter to go with it...I don't think he knows how little writers make.

One through nine, completed. Short on the reviews though. I don't have my own wiki page, but I am listed on the wiki page of a magazine that published my stuff.

Love a helicarrier though.

Don't do lists. :whistle: Not worth the mental energy of comparing where I think I am, with where I actually am in regards to anything, let alone writing. I have taken so many steps forward then been knocked back a 100 feet on my rear so many times, I just take one day at a time. Besides, nothing turns out the way you want it to, if it did the world would be very boring. ;)

How about diversify my identity and pursue a dream that has been subdued by reality for too long and see just how far I can take it.

This may well be a cheat, but I can technically claim to have achieved 5 of the original list, despite otherwise only getting to around 1.5 :D. I have two blogs, and the little bit I get from those probably equals a fortnightly cup of latte (not the good stuff though).

Last edited:
I guess through the marvellous Woodbridge Press I (and others,of course) have achieved up to point 8 on the list, which is fantastic for the CV, but I have a little way to go to achieve such things personally. I'd love to get to 9 and 10.

I would absolutely love one of my books to be banned. That would be a dream come true.

Yes, yes, yes! This is the dream.