Discussion Thread -- May 2016 75-word Writing Challenge

Daddy’s Little Girl?, @Bob Senior – New parents discover that their little darling may not be as wonderful as they first imagined. Hopefully they kept the receipt.

Remission, @HazelRah – Faced with the impending death of their estranged father, the subject of this emotionally-charged story puts off a difficult decision but will they come to regret their procrastination?

All of Yesterday’s Tomorrows, @Culhwch – A scientist refuses to let their loved-one’s illness destroy their future and finds a novel way for them to stay together.

Miscarriage of Justice, @TheDustyZebra – Misdirection abounds in this re-telling of a classic tale, bringing a surprising and emotional new perspective to a familiar story.

Forecast, @johnnyjet – Every profession must deal with regulation and red-tape and it turns out soothsayers are no exception. Surely they should have seen it coming?

Prophesy Ends, @Parson – The power of prophecy is a double-edged sword for the entrepreneur in this tale when his golden goose makes an apocalyptic prediction.

The Way I See It, @Starbeast – Using a surprisingly simple structure, this entry condenses the hopes for the future that we all possess and juxtaposes them against our contempt for the problems of today.

Siren Call, @Ursa major – The populace of a world without poverty, disease or war, after discovering that there is no drama without conflict, are offered a more exciting, more dangerous reality.

@Cory Swanson – Through the medium of a military profile, this entry details a heroic, hot-headed leader about to deploy on a desperate and dangerous mission.

Nineteen Nanoseconds Per Second, @Moonbat – Using modern technological concepts and taking them to their logical conclusion, this story details a nightmare world where being out-of-sync can have devastating results.

.seilF emiT, @The Judge – Scientists attempting to defeat the spectre of old age discover that ‘reversing the signs of aging’, despite the claims of the face cream-peddling corporations, may not be so desirable after all.

Phew, another challenge-worth of reviews done! Vote and shortlists to come.

Match 9: Victoria Silverwolf (VIC) 3-1 Old-Man-Steve-2016 (OMS)
Match 10: Glen (GLN) 2-1 Hopewrites (HPW)

Group A Standings:
Pts. W D L GD
VIC 6 1 0 0 +3
GLN 4 0 1 0 +1
OMS 1 0 1 1 -2
HPW 0 0 0 2 -2

Match 11: Perpetual Man (PRP) 1-2 Stilllearning (STL)
Match 12: Chrispenycate (CPC)3-3 Mr. Orange (MRO)

Group B Standings:
Pts. W D L GD
MRO 4 1 1 0 +1
STL 3 1 0 1 0
CPC 2 0 2 0 0
PRP 1 0 1 1 -1

Match 13: Mosaix (MSX) 1-1 Johnny Appleseed (JAS)
Match 14: Robert Mackay (RMK) 2-0 Sinister42 (S42)

Group C Standings:
Pts. W D L GD
RMK 6 2 0 0 +3
MSX 4 1 1 0 +1
JAS 1 0 1 1 -1
S42 0 0 0 1 -3

Match 15: Ursa Major (URS) 1-1 Person (PSN)
Match 16: Bob Senior (BOB)2-1 The Judge (JDG)

Group D Standings:
Pts. W D L GD
BOB 6 2 0 0 +2
PSN 4 1 1 0 +1
URS 1 0 1 1 -1
JDG 0 0 0 2 -2

Thanks for the nice comments Victoria, Heijan & Shyrka. And thanks for the mentions by Victoria & HazelRah. It's great to get a mention among such a fine group of tales.

Match 17: Victoria Silverwolf (VIC) 3-3 Glen (GLN)
Match 18: Old-Man-Steve-2016 (OMS) 1-1 Hopewrites (HPW)

Group A Standings:
Pts. W D L GD
VIC 7 2 1 0 +3
GLN 5 1 2 0 +1
OMS 2 0 2 1 -2
HPW 1 0 1 2 -2

Victoria Silverwolf and Glen advance to the Quarterfinals

Match 19: Perpetual Man (PRP) 1-3 Mr. Orange (MRO)
Match 20: Chrispenycate (CPC)2-2 Stilllearning (STL)

Group B Standings:
Pts. W D L GD
MRO 7 2 1 0 +3
STL 4 1 1 1 0
CPC 3 0 3 0 0
PRP 1 0 1 2 -3

Mr. Orange and Stilllearning advance to the Quarterfinals

Match 21: Mosaix (MSX) 2-1 (RMK)
Match 22: Johnny Appleseed (JAS) 1-1 Sinister42 (S42)

Group C Standings:
Pts. W D L GD
MSX 7 2 1 0 +2
RMK 6 2 0 1 +2
JAS 2 0 2 1 -1
S42 1 0 1 2 -3

Mosaix and Robert Mackay advance to the Quarterfinals

Match 23: Ursa Major (URS) 1-1 The Judge (JDG)
Match 24: Bob Senior (BOB) 2-1 Person (PSN)

Group D Standings:
Pts. W D L GD
BOB 9 3 0 0 +3
PSN 4 1 1 1 0
URS 2 0 2 1 -1
JDG 1 0 1 2 -2

Bob Senior and Person advance to the Quarterfinals

Reading through the entries I began to think that maybe the real challenge here was to do one without using the actual word 'tomorrow'.

*checks own story*

Dammit!

Anyway my faves were by:

Victoria S
Shyrka
Venusian Broon
chrispenycate
Ihe
DG Jones
StilLearning
Droflet
ratsy
johnnyjet
Parson
The Judge

And my vote was for Vaz.

I was going to write about why I chose that particular piece but I think I read on another thread that we're not supposed to comment on the individual stories until after voting closes?

Sorry but am I missing something? Is this the writers forum or some hellish sports channel?

pH

yes. yes.

Enough folks like your sentiments so I'm done with it in this forum. If anyone wants to see the rest played out I'll start a thread in the sports forum.

I'm new here. Please pardon my misguided enthusiasm. I'll stick to the standards. If anyone has a problem please let me know right away. I don't want to piss anyone off.

Anyway, when seen in the context of this classic bit of comedy, hopefully you can appreciate what I was trying to do.

I was going to write about why I chose that particular piece but I think I read on another thread that we're not supposed to comment on the individual stories until after voting closes?

No, you're good -- the rule is that you're not supposed to do anything to explain or expand upon your OWN story until after the voting closes. Commentary (so long as it's positive) about other people's stories is welcomed and encouraged at any time. :)

yes. yes.

Enough folks like your sentiments so I'm done with it in this forum. If anyone wants to see the rest played out I'll start a thread in the sports forum.

I'm new here. Please pardon my misguided enthusiasm. I'll stick to the standards. If anyone has a problem please let me know right away. I don't want to piss anyone off.

Anyway, when seen in the context of this classic bit of comedy, hopefully you can appreciate what I was trying to do.

I'll think you'll find @Phyrebrat was joking rather than being serious - I certainly read it as such. Likewise my similar post chastising @Victoria Silverwolf was said with tongue so far planted in cheek that it was sticking out of my ear.

I'll think you'll find @Phyrebrat was joking rather than being serious - I certainly read it as such. Likewise my similar post chastising @Victoria Silverwolf was said with tongue so far planted in cheek that it was sticking out of my ear.[/QUOTE

I appreciate the support, and I got your comment. Until I accumulate 113 trophy points though, my commentary will err on the side of mostly cautious conformity.

113 trophy points

@Heijan Xavier Trophy points smophy points they mean diddley squat. Unless a Mod says otherwise all's fair in pen and keyboard - I'd say love and war but that would make my post less nonsensical.

Don't worry about it, you will never please everybody - my own utterances are proof of that ;)

Last year I made attempts at reviewing 75 entries from the point of view of one on my characters. I knew such silliness wouldn't be to everyones taste as noted by one of the mods but the idea was acceptable.

If someone truly dislikes your post then they'd report it - I was disappointed never to be reported, obviously my evil Dark Lord wasn't evil enough :)

Last edited:
@Heijan Xavier Trophy points smophy points they mean diddley squat. Unless a Mod says otherwise all's fair in pen and keyboard - I'd say love and war but that would make my post less nonsensical.

Don't worry about it, you will never please everybody - my own utterances are proof of that ;)

Thanks. That was a bit tongue and cheek as well. Nonetheless. Rookies must respect the veterans and the status quo, and I will.

Great stories this month, and a great theme.
My shortlist and Vote

Victoria Silverwolf – Reflections
Remedy – companions for life and death
Wruter – an other
Mr Orange – Tomorrow's yesterday outside a dark tavern
Hazelrah – Remission
Culhwch – all of yesterday's tomorrows

Thanks for the mentions people :)

Bob – Ah the voice of the inquisition, Spanish or otherwise they have nothing on the kids. The age old work around is to pass it from one parent to the other (it works) but ultimately the questions might go a bit too far, and there is a solution. I’ve said, but never meant it. Have I?

HazelRah – Oh a bitter truth. A child grows alienated from a father, but at the core of things there is an element of warmth, a love frozen and all but forgotten. But in putting off visiting a dying man may lead to regret and pain, but it rings oh so true.

Cul – My mind is gone, replaced with a future self, who is vicariously living out his life though our body, but what has become of me? Am I still in control or has the older me assumed control? Is that old me just riding through. Extended time infinite repetition as it happens again and again. Geez I hope life was interesting.

TDZ – Ahh, perception and word trickery, leading the reader down the garden path with a familiar take on a classic theme and then pulling the rug from under the feet with a display of character perspective coming from a totally different direction, squashing all expectations.

Johnnyjet – In a time where more and more legislation seems to find itself squeezed into the most unlikely of places this seems to fit. It just would not be fair to give people too much of a clear of the future. Of course diametrically opposing viewpoints does not help much…

Parson – A chilling look at the ability of seeing the future, that twists and turns like a particularly writhing serpent. Setting the scene well we are given what seems the ultimate expression of freewill, a prophet choosing not to prophesize. There is a grim end, when there is a reason it will be the last, speaking of a possible end for far too many.

SB – The perfect take on the mediocrity of existence and that hope that is for the future. Tomorrow is going to be such an exciting place, one we always look towards, hope for, believe is coming, yet has not yet arrived. It will come sooner or later. I want my hover car.

Ursa – Tying in nicely to the previous story, we are hit with a question that is probably more true than we would like, what would we do if we got all those things that makes dreaming of the future look so bright? Probably see them as common place and dull and go looking for more elusive butterflies to catch. Unless, of course time runs out.

Cory Swanson – A service sheet for the ideal candidate for those dodgy, possible one way missions. A novel way of presenting a story that works well, giving a lot of information in a different way. The use of the dissolving agents made me smirk – is that use of highly corrosive chemicals, or a method of dealing with the enemy. Or a combination of both!

MB – What is a leap year? Well it’s an extra day to make up for the time we lose over the previous 3 years, a chronological patch one might say. But what if one tried to correct something similar with a modification of time itself. A causal hiccup that shrunk the length of days until tomorrow was no longer there waiting.

TJ – No matter how clever people get, there is something that is a good piece of advice, easily forgotten but true no matter what: ‘Don’t mess with things you don’t understand.’

Well another month almost over and done with and once again stupendous entries right across the board. There were one or two that tickled my fancy, and two or three which seemed to come with a stomach punch built in.

So many could have made the short list but in the end:

Bowler
Cascade
Johnny Appleseed
HazelRah
and Parson

while DG Jones walks away with the trophy!

Thanks for the few mentions, and to Bowler for the vote. :D

I just loathe sports. I'm sorry if I made you feel unwelcome.

pH

Shame on you. How can you not like sports like Bo-taoshi, Poohsticks, Extreme ironing, Wife carrying, Gurning and Bog snorkeling. Your life must truly be hollow ;)

Edit: being naughty and editing after the Like I thoroughly enjoy sports of all kinds except for Golf. The idea of hitting a little ball and walking to find it only to hit it again makes no sense to me.

Last edited:

Back