Wheel of Time TV series coming?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
After the recent Wheel of Time TV pilot fiasco, there's been an announcement from the Jordan estate that a TV series may now become a reality:

Are publishers aiming for volume sales, rather than profit?
The following is a press statement that has been approved by the studio involved in contract negotiations:

Update: Wanted to share with you exciting news about The Wheel of Time. Legal issues have been resolved. The Wheel of Time will become a cutting edge TV series! I couldn’t be more pleased. Look for the official announcement coming soon from a major studio —Harriet

Ashaman

Hey Brian. As i said in another thread I just hope they won't butcher this series like they did (in my opinion at least) with Goodkinds SoT or Butcher's Dresden files or, more recently, Brooks's Shannara Chronicles!

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
No worries - as the other thread was primarily about the original pilot, I figured this news would benefit from a separate discussion. It's certainly something to take note of - but I wonder if the Jordan estate is counting its chickens by expecting a TV series to actually be developed, as opposed to simply put in a list of potential projects.

Ashaman

According to the statement and from what I can understand they already have the agreement with the studio, based on that : "The following is a press statement that has been approved by the studio involved in contract negotiations" . Could be wrong of course but that's what I am getting from it my friend. ;-)

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
I may hVE stopped at book 4, but if they made it into a good tv series , I would watch it. :)

SilentRoamer

I really hope this comes to fruition as WoT (despite its flaws) is one of my favourite series.

Would love to see a visual representation of the Bore and The Breaking.

There are so many scenes in the books which have such strong visuals.

Judderman

The Iceman cometh
They have to make sure they have Nynaeve tugging her braid at least a couple of times per episode to be a reasonably accurate adaption.

I agree with Ray that they could cut out a lot and make it a much tighter story. Though who would/could do that?? They can't even ask the original writer.

If they could make something high quality and perhaps by 2019 they could take quite a lot of the market that had been watching Game of Thrones. If it is on a channel like HBO. Or it could be on the scifi channel and be a passing amusement for a couple of seasons.

SilentRoamer

They have to make sure they have Nynaeve tugging her braid at least a couple of times per episode to be a reasonably accurate adaption.

I agree with Ray that they could cut out a lot and make it a much tighter story. Though who would/could do that?? They can't even ask the original writer.
Of course braid tugging and paddle spanking would need to be included for authenticity sake.

WRT final decisions I believe that Harriet Jordan (Roberts wife) is left in charge of the Jordan Estate and has final say on all matters pertaining to rights.

Bagpuss

Shipwrecked & comatose - where's the mango juice?
Variety has run a story today indicating that Sony Pictures have picked up the tv series. Article is here. Short version is that Rafe Judkins is expected to write and exec produce, Red Eagle Entertainment is still involved in the project and Harriet will be a consulting producer.

Judderman

The Iceman cometh
That is good news. As they appear to have several fantasy series on their potential list I would if some will get dropped before making it to producing an actual series. On the other hand they could be spread over a long time.