Hugo Nominees Announced

Victoria Silverwolf

Vegetarian Werewolf
Here they are:

» 2016 Hugo Finalists

BEST NOVEL (3695 ballots)

Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie (Orbit)
The Cinder Spires: The Aeronaut’s Windlass by Jim Butcher (Roc)
The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin (Orbit)
Seveneves: A Novel by Neal Stephenson (William Morrow)
Uprooted by Naomi Novik (Del Rey)

BEST NOVELLA (2416 ballots)

Binti by Nnedi Okorafor (Tor.com)
The Builders by Daniel Polansky (Tor.com)
Penric’s Demon by Lois McMaster Bujold (Spectrum)
Perfect State by Brandon Sanderson (Dragonsteel Entertainment)
Slow Bullets by Alastair Reynolds (Tachyon)

BEST NOVELETTE (1975 ballots)

“And You Shall Know Her by the Trail of Dead” by Brooke Bolander (Lightspeed, Feb2015)
“Flashpoint: Titan” by CHEAH Kai Wai (There Will Be War Volume X, Castalia House)
“Folding Beijing” by Hao Jingfang, trans. Ken Liu (Uncanny Magazine, Jan-Feb 2015)
“Obits” by Stephen King (The Bazaar of Bad Dreams, Scribner)
“What Price Humanity?” by David VanDyke (There Will Be War Volume X, Castalia House)

BEST SHORT STORY (2451 ballots)

“Asymmetrical Warfare” by S. R. Algernon (Nature, Mar 2015)
The Commuter by Thomas A. Mays (Stealth)
“If You Were an Award, My Love” by Juan Tabo and S. Harris (voxday.blogspot.com, Jun 2015)
“Seven Kill Tiger” by Charles Shao (There Will Be War Volume X, Castalia House)
Space Raptor Butt Invasion by Chuck Tingle (Amazon Digital Services)

BEST RELATED WORK (2080 ballots)

Between Light and Shadow: An Exploration of the Fiction of Gene Wolfe, 1951 to 1986 by Marc Aramini (Castalia House)
“The First Draft of My Appendix N Book” by Jeffro Johnson (jeffro.wordpress.com)
“Safe Space as Rape Room” by Daniel Eness (castaliahouse.com)
SJWs Always Lie: Taking Down the Thought Police by Vox Day (Castalia House)
“The Story of Moira Greyland” by Moira Greyland (askthebigot.com)

BEST GRAPHIC STORY (1838 ballots)

The Divine written by Boaz Lavie, art by Asaf Hanuka and Tomer Hanuka (First Second)
Erin Dies Alone written by Grey Carter, art by Cory Rydell (dyingalone.net)
Full Frontal Nerdity by Aaron Williams (ffn.nodwick.com)
Invisible Republic Vol 1 written by Corinna Bechko and Gabriel Hardman, art by Gabriel Hardman (Image Comics)
The Sandman: Overture written by Neil Gaiman, art by J.H. Williams III (Vertigo)

BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION (LONG FORM) (2904 ballots)

Avengers: Age of Ultron written and directed by Joss Whedon (Marvel Studios; Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures)
Ex Machina written and directed by Alex Garland (Film4; DNA Films; Universal Pictures)
Mad Max: Fury Road written by George Miller, Brendan McCarthy, and Nico Lathouris, directed by George Miller (Village Roadshow Pictures; Kennedy Miller Mitchell; RatPac-Dune Entertainment; Warner Bros. Pictures)
The Martian screenplay by Drew Goddard, directed by Ridley Scott (Scott Free Productions; Kinberg Genre; TSG Entertainment; 20th Century Fox)
Star Wars: The Force Awakens written by Lawrence Kasdan, J. J. Abrams, and Michael Arndt, directed by J.J. Abrams (Lucasfilm Ltd.; Bad Robot Productions; Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures)

BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION (SHORT FORM) (2219 ballots)

Doctor Who: “Heaven Sent” written by Steven Moffat, directed by Rachel Talalay (BBC Television)
Grimm: “Headache” written by Jim Kouf and David Greenwalt, directed by Jim Kouf(Universal Television; GK Productions; Hazy Mills Productions; Open 4 Business Productions; NBCUniversal Television Distribution)
Jessica Jones: “AKA Smile” written by Scott Reynolds, Melissa Rosenberg, and Jamie King, directed by Michael Rymer (Marvel Television; ABC Studios; Tall Girls Productions;Netflix)
My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: “The Cutie Map” Parts 1 and 2 written by Scott Sonneborn, M.A. Larson, and Meghan McCarthy, directed by Jayson Thiessen and Jim Miller (DHX Media/Vancouver; Hasbro Studios)
Supernatural: “Just My Imagination” written by Jenny Klein, directed by Richard Speight Jr. (Kripke Enterprises; Wonderland Sound and Vision; Warner Bros. Television)

BEST EDITOR – SHORT FORM (1891 ballots)

John Joseph Adams
Neil Clarke
Ellen Datlow
Jerry Pournelle
Sheila Williams

BEST EDITOR – LONG FORM (1764 ballots)

Liz Gorinsky
Vox Day
Sheila E. Gilbert
Jim Minz
Toni Weisskopf

BEST PROFESSIONAL ARTIST (1481 ballots)

Lars Braad Andersen
Larry Elmore
Abigail Larson
Michal Karcz
Larry Rostant

BEST SEMIPROZINE (1457 ballots)

Beneath Ceaseless Skies edited by Scott H. Andrews, Nicole Lavigne, and Kate Marshall
Daily Science Fiction edited by Michele-Lee Barasso and Jonathan Laden
Sci Phi Journal edited by Jason Rennie
Strange Horizons edited by Catherine Krahe, Julia Rios, A. J. Odasso, Vanessa Rose Phin,Maureen Kincaid Speller, and the Strange Horizons staff
Uncanny Magazine edited by Lynne M. Thomas & Michael Damian Thomas, Michi Trota, and Erika Ensign & Steven Schapansky

BEST FANZINE (1455 ballots)

Black Gate edited by John O’Neill
Castalia House Blog edited by Jeffro Johnson
File 770 edited by Mike Glyer
Superversive SF edited by Jason Rennie
Tangent Online edited by Dave Truesdale

BEST FANCAST (1267 ballots)

8-4 Play, Mark MacDonald, John Ricciardi, Hiroko Minamoto, and Justin Epperson
Cane and Rinse, Cane and Rinse
HelloGreedo, HelloGreedo
The Rageaholic, RazörFist
Tales to Terrify, Stephen Kilpatrick

BEST FAN WRITER (1568 ballots)

Douglas Ernst
Mike Glyer
Morgan Holmes
Jeffro Johnson
Shamus Young

BEST FAN ARTIST (1073 ballots)

Matthew Callahan
Christian Quinot
disse86
Kukuruyo
Steve Stiles

JOHN W. CAMPBELL AWARD FOR BEST NEW WRITER (1922 ballots)

Pierce Brown *
Sebastien de Castell *
Brian Niemeier
Andy Weir *
Alyssa Wong *

At this point, all I can say is "Welcome to Puppygate Part Two."

*long stare*

*takes massive drag on cigarette*

*exhales slowly*

*long stare*

The novels looks reasonably interesting, though it's a shame we didn't see Jo Zebedee up there for a Campbell.

I noticed Vox Day - leader of the Rabid Puppies - has been nominated for "Best Editor - long form".

An article in The Guardian suggests that Worldcon are trying to change the voting system to make them harder to game...
The Hugo Awards: George RR Martin, Vox Day and Alastair Reynolds on the prize's future

Ha! I think I would have needed to have several thousand more sales. :p

Still a lot of puppies in there :(

Uhoh... Puppygate?? Rabid Puppies? Is it need-to-know stuff? Rabid writers I can unnerstand, but....*

Its funny because when I look at reading older SF "Hugo nominated" carries some weight and is a label of quality.

Vox Day and the whole Puppygate saga is beyond frustrating - they really need to get ths sorted for next year or the Hugos are dead.

Here they are:

» 2016 Hugo Finalists

At this point, all I can say is "Welcome to Puppygate Part Two."

As someone who has only a general understanding of the issue, can someone explain what it is about the slate that suggests this is a repeat of last year? I see Vox Day was nominated for editor. But other than that, where is the manipulation? Leckie, Butcher, Jemisin, Stephenson, and Novik all seem like successful or well-regarded authors in the genre.

As someone who has only a general understanding of the issue, can someone explain what it is about the slate that suggests this is a repeat of last year? I see Vox Day was nominated for editor. But other than that, where is the manipulation? Leckie, Butcher, Jemisin, Stephenson, and Novik all seem like successful or well-regarded authors in the genre.

This is the ongoing discussion - the RP selected a lot of books that would be popular anyway, which means they were in, they felt, a win-win. Not to get those books in would mean not supporting stuff that deserved to be in there, and to get the books in there meant they could take the credit....

So people aren't upset that Lois McMaster Bujold was nominated - they're upset because she was nominated as part of a slate. Is that right?

Unless there are some egregious examples of worthy works and authors being left off the shortlist, I'm not sure I see where the huge problem is. They should probably re-jig the system to minimize the effectiveness of slates. But I guess I don't see how the nominees that were announced have made a joke of the merit of the Hugos.

So people aren't upset that Lois McMaster Bujold was nominated - they're upset because she was nominated as part of a slate. Is that right?

Unless there are some egregious examples of worthy works and authors being left off the shortlist, I'm not sure I see where the huge problem is. They should probably re-jig the system to minimize the effectiveness of slates. But I guess I don't see how the nominees that were announced have made a joke of the merit of the Hugos.

Yes, that's exactly it (although Bujold getting nominated often gets much gnashing of teeth by the sf purists.) The system is being changed for 2017.

Anything from "Castalia House," which appears several times on the list, is associated with Vox Day.

His own comment on his motives, from Wikipedia (I have edited out the profanity):

"I wanted to leave a big smoking hole where the Hugo Awards were. All this has ever been is a giant **** *** —one massive gesture of contempt."

This year's Hugos are invalid for me simply because of Martin L. Shoemaker's Today I Am Paul. This was on the Sad Puppies list... and the Nebula list. It was not on the Rabid Puppies list... or the Hugo list. This isn't remotely an ideological story - it's just great. And ignored by the Hugos. This is probably the fault of the Rabids this time (in an active sense, though the apathy of fandom towards short fiction is really more responsible as an act of omission) but I don't care whose fault it is. The Hugos haven't really mattered for two or three decades and this is just another example.

If so inclined, please go read the story now rather than, or before, continuing with this post. To riff off that well-known right-winger, Eric Burdon, "It will be worth it, if not for the sake of this post but for the sake of your own peace of mind."

Another sad year for the Hugos all because a small group of people can't grasp that science fiction is meant to be inclusive of all people and not exclusive. Sigh.

I wish I didn't have to preface this and maybe I don't, but feel like it's probably wiser. I find the Rabids revolting and even the Sads are, let's say, not a natural place for me though in certain aesthetic areas, especially, I am sympathetic. My positions are all over the map but I average left of your average Sad. But I would certainly be placed to the right of orthodox SF fandom by that fandom. So this isn't some pure ideology I'm spouting here one way or the other, but a sort of misfit observation:

It honestly seems to me that it is a sad year for the Hugos, but more because, in the context of SF fandom, a large group of people can't grasp that science fiction is meant to be inclusive and that being inclusive means being tolerant of straight people, white people, male people, Republicans, Christians, people who favor spare prose, people who like vigorous plotting, etc. I totally get people hating the Rabids because Rabids are hateful. I even get people being uncomfortable with Sads because Sads may not be comforting. But it honestly seems to me that fandom today reacts to the groups I've mentioned above as an immune system to invaders. If I were a member of any of those groups (and I am of some) I would (and somewhat do) feel very unwelcome. Some people talk about the "liberal media elite" in general society and I have no idea what they're talking about as most media is corporate-controlled and speaks for the moneyed interests as they are the moneyed interests. But when people talk about a liberal elite bias in science fiction, I don't know how anyone could fail to see it. Yes, this may be trying to make up for decades of supposed white male bias (a "make up" significantly driven by white males, ironically) but two wrongs are definitely not making a right and intolerance and exclusion are intolerance and exclusion no matter which direction they point.

Being nationally parochial for a moment, one of Thomas Jefferson's and other Founders' major concerns was to prevent a "tyranny of the majority" and one of the prime examples of a democracy working well are to have most everybody a little (but not too) annoyed. If anyone is completely happy, it means they live in a fascist state and just happen to like the fascist. It seems to me that many on the extremes and much of SF fandom seems to feel otherwise: that when all straight white males who like simple prose are eliminated, paradise will be achieved. That "liberal values" will somehow triumph through this exclusive, reactionary ideology. All it does is produce Rabid Puppies and more "liberals" fundamentally indistinguishable from them and more Ultra-Rabid Dogs and so on. As we can see: the Sad Puppies (the center-right portion of the "moderates" in this madness) are virtually eliminated from all influence. To blaspheme Paul Rodgers, "it's all Rabid now." And that's not all right. Maybe the extreme right will "win." Maybe the extreme left will "win." Most people will lose either way.

Let me say that I am definitely on the left/liberal side of things, and that I think that J-Sun speaks with wisdom. On "my" side, George R. R. Martin speaks with the same reasoned tone. Neither of us have a problem at all with the Sads saying "here are some works we think should be honored." That's completely fine. We all have a problem with the Rabids, in which one person, for all practical purposes, tells hundreds of minions what to vote for, and they do so with the sole purpose of wrecking the awards.

Oh, I might mention here that Thomas A. Mays has withdrawn his story "The Commuter," which might possibly open up a space for the fine story "Today I am Paul."

According to this chart from the fanzine File 770, "Today I am Paul" was on the recommended list from the Sads, but not on the mandatory list of the Rabids (and I cannot emphasize the difference too much.) Given that, there seems to be a good chance it might be bumped up to replace "The Commuter."

Measuring The Rabid Puppies Slate’s Impact on the Final Hugo Ballot

Thank you very much for that information. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Shame it has to happen that way, if it does, though.

It honestly seems to me that it is a sad year for the Hugos, but more because, in the context of SF fandom, a large group of people can't grasp that science fiction is meant to be inclusive and that being inclusive means being tolerant of straight people, white people, male people, Republicans, Christians, people who favor spare prose, people who like vigorous plotting, etc. I totally get people hating the Rabids because Rabids are hateful. I even get people being uncomfortable with Sads because Sads may not be comforting. But it honestly seems to me that fandom today reacts to the groups I've mentioned above as an immune system to invaders. If I were a member of any of those groups (and I am of some) I would (and somewhat do) feel very unwelcome... Yes, this may be trying to make up for decades of supposed white male bias (a "make up" significantly driven by white males, ironically) but two wrongs are definitely not making a right and intolerance and exclusion are intolerance and exclusion no matter which direction they point.

You've recognized the fundamental difference between liberalism and the identity politics left (and you're not the first). The new left champions diversity of race, gender, and sexual orientation, but have a dogmatic and conformist approach to ideas and speech. By making group identity the paramount characteristic of people, and seeing all politics and speech through the lens of power struggle between these groups, they've become a mirror-image of the conservative right. Championing writers because they're non-CIS women of colour is no different from championing writers simply because they're white men. It's tribalism. And tribalism begets tribalism.