Hugo Nominees Announced

I wonder if there is a distinction to be drawn here between “message fiction” and “inclusive fiction”. I don’t much want to read “message fiction”*: firstly, the message is usually crudely presented, which harms the story, and secondly, the message itself is often crude. A story whose message is “being oppressed is bad” is morally absolutely right, but may be so blatantly right that (a) it leaves out all the subtleties of the issue and (b) it probably won’t convert anyone weird enough to disagree. And, while all “message fiction” doesn’t have to be crude, a lot of people are simply repulsed by being given a moral, or being preached at. Obviously there are a lot of degrees of grayness here and the example I have given would definitely be on one end of the spectrum.

On the other hand, I’m all for “inclusive fiction”, where the story is told in a setting informed by certain (correct!) morals. This usually means a genre story (which could be the “pulp” that the Sad Puppies claim to want, although I wonder) where the diverse makeup of the cast is taken for granted. Fury Road or The Force Awakens would be good examples. Where I think the difference lies is that the key roles in those films aren’t stock parts for “woman” (usually hero’s romantic interest) or “black man” (usually sidekick). It’s hard to imagine how you would discuss a specific “experience” in that format but not impossible, provided that the required level of action, intrigue, romance etc was kept up. It’s also worth noting that a story like that would potentially have a much bigger audience than a message story even if its analysis wasn’t as deep. It wouldn’t be preaching to the converted, at least not entirely.

Part of this issue with pulp and diverse characters is, I think, that a grown-up reader doesn’t need to see him/herself literally represented in a story. If I watch Aliens, or Blade, say, I take it for granted that Ripley and Blade are “my guy”. It would be churlish not to. Perhaps it sounds superficial, but I think there’s merit in getting people used to accepting characters who aren’t exactly like them but do fit within the range of acceptable heroes (I’m unlikely to support a film whose hero is a wife-beating terrorist, say). For what it’s worth, personally, I don’t see “people like me” portrayed well or heroically very often in films, at least not in SFF. If there is a person in a film who looks and talks like me, they will usually be a villain, a buffoon or a mentor who is guaranteed not to survive. I’m sure Scots, Welsh and other readers would agree, too, although their list of options is different and probably even narrower.

*I’d make a further distinction between fiction that is specifically arguing for something, which I'd call "message fiction" and dystopian fiction that presents a bad future but doesn’t make one particular argument as to how to avoid it, such as The Handmaid’s Tale or 1984, which I wouldn't.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for that information. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Shame it has to happen that way, if it does, though.

Well, we didn't get "Today I am Paul," but we did get "Cat Pictures Please."

The Hugo Awards

MidAmeriCon II, the 2016 Worldcon, announced today that two previously-announced finalists for the 2016 Hugo Awards have withdrawn from consideration and have been replaced.

The short story “Cat Pictures Please” by Naomi Kritzer (Clarkesworld, January 2015) replaces “The Commuter” by Thomas A. Mays.

The fanzine Lady Business, edited by Clare, Ira, Jodie, KJ, Renay, and Susan, replaces Black Gate, edited by John O’Neill.

It's just occurred to me that if the SP/RP types want to sabotage the contest, why not put an absurd joke entry up for everything? The Boaty McBoatface farce shows that many people will vote for a silly title for a laugh even if they know that there is a more deserving option. Given that the RP aim is clearly as much to sabotage the awards out of spite as it is to promote good writing, I'd have thought that this could work. Perhaps the fact that you have to join up to vote would reduce the number of absurd votes.

Well, I might as well add some comments on those nominees which I can read on-line. (I have almost nothing to say on any of the categories except printed fiction, simply out of ignorance. I might add, for whatever it might be worth, that if somebody asked me to see one of the nominated movies, it would probably be The Martian or Ex Machina, then maybe Mad Max: Fury Road, just based on what I can tell about them from publicity. I know nothing at all about the other categories outside of printed fiction.)

Anyway . . .

Short Story:

I can read three of them on-line:

Asymmetrical warfare : Nature : Nature Publishing Group

"Asymmetrical Warfare" by S. R. Algernon

A pretty good story of conflict and misunderstanding between humans and very strange aliens, narrated by one of the aliens. Solid science fiction.

Clarkesworld Magazine - Science Fiction & Fantasy

"Cat Pictures Please" by Naomi Kritzer

I had previously reviewed this when it was nominated for the Nebula:

This is best described as "cute." How you feel about that term may determine how much you like the story. It amused me, and was just long enough for a lightweight piece.

Quibble:

I'm not sure it was a very good idea to make so many references to other science fiction stories, particularly the one by Bruce Sterling. That makes the story seem less original than it might seem on its own.

Anti-quibble:

I like the fact that the narrator doesn't completely succeed in all its efforts. Life is messy like that.

Overall, a nice way to pass the time, but not an award-winner in my book.

Last, and very much least:

Vox Popoli: If You Were an Award, My Love

"If You Were an Award, My Love" by Juan Tabo and S. Harris

Obviously this was written only in response to the Nebula-winning short story "If You Were a Dinosaur, My Love" by Rachel Swirsky.

If You Were a Dinosaur, My Love

Swirsky's story drove the Puppies nuts. It can be argued that it isn't speculative fiction at all; it just uses the notion of what things might have been like if the narrator's lover had been a dinosaur. In any case, it's very well-written, poetic and emotional.

The parody is a sophomoric attack on John Scalzi in particular, George R. R. Martin in passing, and everything else the Puppies don't like.

So, of the three I can read, I'd go with "Cat Pictures Please," which seems to be a very popular story.

Probably a good thing Space Raptor Butt Invasion isn't online...although I'm sure your review would be enlightening.

We all have a problem with the Rabids, in which one person, for all practical purposes, tells hundreds of minions what to vote for, and they do so with the sole purpose of wrecking the awards

This nails it. Putting aside left/right ideology for a moment, the Hugo awards are supposed to be works nominated from the members' heartfelt opinions of works they have personally experienced. If a majority of the voting membership has read a book featuring straight white males in a Christianity-approved plot line, and this book is of awesome quality, then I have no qualms about it being voted Best Novel of the year. The problem is that one person, or a handful of persons, has organized a large swathe of followers on social media to buy memberships to Worldcon for the sole purpose of stacking the nominations for works that they have probably not read or seen. You can purchase a supporting membership that still gives you the power to nominate and vote for the Hugo without the obligation of actually attending the convention.

Probably a good thing Space Raptor Butt Invasion isn't online...although I'm sure your review would be enlightening.

Yes to the first part of your statement, maybe not so much to the second part.

In any case, that thing was clearly meant as a rather childish joke at the expense of fandom.

I presume that "Seven Kill Tiger" by Charles Shao is, at the very least, an actual attempt at a good story, as are all of the nominees in the longer printed fiction categories. None of them, even if Rabid Puppy choices, seem to exist only as "in your face" insults.

I can find none of them on-line except two of the novelettes:

And You Shall Know Her By The Trail Of Dead - Lightspeed Magazine

"And You Shall Know Her by the Trail of Dead" by Brooke Bolander

I reviewed this earlier when it was nominated for a Nebula.

Super-violent cyberpunk story hiding a love story inside.

Quibble: I see no reason to set this story on Ganymede. That seems completely irrelevant to the plot, which could be the typical gritty future Earth of cyberpunk.

Anti-quibble: Well, it's not boring, at least. Moves faster than a Hollywood action movie.

Overall, although I can admire the author's vivid, lightning-paced style, I thought the narrator tried way too hard to be as tough as possible, not just with the constant fighting and killing, but with the nonstop display of just about every variation of profanity you can imagine. Doesn't offend me, but seems to be deliberately daring the reader to be offended.

Not my cup of bloody tea.

Folding Beijing - Uncanny Magazine

"Folding Beijing" by Hao Jingfang, translated by Ken Liu

The speculative concept of this story is certainly original enough. It takes place in Beijing maybe a century or so in the future. The city has undergone an incredible transformation. It is somehow "folded up" every twenty-four hours, so that it becomes an entirely different place. Part of the population goes into a sort of stasis, as the other part emerges into the new city. This results, for all practical purposes, in three separate worlds. There is the upper class, the middle class, and the lower class. The protagonist recycles garbage in the lower class. He is paid by a student of the middle class to carry a message to a woman in the upper class. (It's possible, but difficult and dangerous, to travel from one "world" to another.) In addition to the astonishing concept, it's also a very human story, with obvious allegorical concerns about social levels. Of the two I can read, I'd pick this one.

(The other novelettes are two military SF stories from the same anthology, and "Obits" by Stephen King, which has already won an Edgar.)

I have no link to the novellas or novels. They all seem to be, at the very least, legitimate contenders, unlike a couple of the short story nominees.

I think Denise is right. It's hard not to feel that the aim isn't to change the awards but just to sabotage them for the sake of it. It's not even making a point: it's more like breaking something you don't like so nobody else can use it.

Thanks for putting your comments up, Victoria. It reminds me just how little SF I've read over the last few years, and how little of that was genuinely innovative.

My sources in the literary elite tell me that he has written another story in which his Hugo award has, shall we say, a leading role. I have a weird feeling that he may end up writing some kind of bizarre explicit satire on the whole thing.

My sources in the literary elite tell me that he has written another story in which his Hugo award has, shall we say, a leading role. I have a weird feeling that he may end up writing some kind of bizarre explicit satire on the whole thing.
Personally I'm hoping the uptick of interest in freakish sci fi erotica will boost sales of my own forthcoming award-worthy masterwork Waxing Uranus.

Well, I might as well add some comments

Might as well join you. :)

I haven't seen Fury Road and didn't want to even though it's apparently been received very well. I didn't see Age of Ultron, either, but likely will some day. I'm sure it's spiffy but I'd be surprised if it'd make my top 3. As I've said elsewhere, I think The Force Awakens, Ex Machina, and The Martian are all excellent films. This was a very good year for SF cinema. I wouldn't kick if TFA won and it would certainly seem to be a popular choice. I think EM and TM are a little better and more substantial though. I was a little more torn immediately after seeing EM but, now that time has elapsed and the things that bugged me have come to bug me more, I definitely favor The Martian.

I've seen none of the Short Form stuff but the fact that Person of Interest and I, Zombie aren't on either Long for the seasons or Short for some episode is one place where the SP list is better than the actual Hugo list.

For the fiction, I have not read and do not foresee reading any of the novels.

Ditto the novellas except for Alastair Reynolds' Slow Bullets. I actually can't help but feel this is a little overrated. To me, it is good, make no mistake, and I can see it as a nominee (and will be surprised if isn't in the Dozois annual) but can't help thinking there must be something still better.

In the novelette category, I've only read the "You Shall Know Her" thing which I intensely dislike. To discuss the story in the same manner in which it's written, I do not see the *&(%#@ attraction of this %&(*)$@% story which makes me wanna @&*$)%*#* $%#@*!!! Absurd joke stories which are meant only for sabotage have been mentioned and that's what this one seems like to me.

Of the short stories, I haven't read the fictional response to "If You Were a Dinosaur, My Love" but the general intarwebz response really astonished me. To say it's not SF is absolutely valid, though exceptions are frequently made for things "of interest" to the field which use familiar tropes and whatnot. But, whatever it was, it was well-written and effective. I get it if it doesn't float your boat (it's not my kind of thing, either) but the, erm, rabid response to it says to me that something else is going on. Anyway - neither here nor there. The ones I have read are "Asymmetrical Warfare" and "Cat Pictures Please." I recommended both when I read them awhile back but my problem here is that, while I like both and they make fine nominees, much like Slow Bullets, I don't see them as ideal "winners" as I did "Paul," so I'm torn here. AW is funnier (I mean, dark funny, but funny). I dunno. Either's fine, so neither will win, probably. I do echo VS and encourage folks to follow her links to those stories, though. I'll do that soon with her other links though I kinda doubt I'll like them as much. (One sounds awful and one sounds like a kind of ripoff of Farmer's "Sliced-Crosswise Only-On-Tuesday World" (later sort of morphed into Dayworld, as I understand it) though that may be a case of convergent evolution.)

Looking over the other categories the only thing I want to mention is that Tangent Online, in my absolutely disinterested and unbiased opinion, should definitely win for Best Fanzine. ;)

It honestly seems to me that it is a sad year for the Hugos, but more because, in the context of SF fandom, a large group of people can't grasp that science fiction is meant to be inclusive and that being inclusive means being tolerant of straight people, white people, male people, Republicans, Christians, people who favor spare prose, people who like vigorous plotting, etc. I totally get people hating the Rabids because Rabids are hateful. I even get people being uncomfortable with Sads because Sads may not be comforting. But it honestly seems to me that fandom today reacts to the groups I've mentioned above as an immune system to invaders. If I were a member of any of those groups (and I am of some) I would (and somewhat do) feel very unwelcome. Some people talk about the "liberal media elite" in general society and I have no idea what they're talking about as most media is corporate-controlled and speaks for the moneyed interests as they are the moneyed interests. But when people talk about a liberal elite bias in science fiction, I don't know how anyone could fail to see it. Yes, this may be trying to make up for decades of supposed white male bias (a "make up" significantly driven by white males, ironically) but two wrongs are definitely not making a right and intolerance and exclusion are intolerance and exclusion no matter which direction they point.

Being nationally parochial for a moment, one of Thomas Jefferson's and other Founders' major concerns was to prevent a "tyranny of the majority" and one of the prime examples of a democracy working well are to have most everybody a little (but not too) annoyed. If anyone is completely happy, it means they live in a fascist state and just happen to like the fascist. It seems to me that many on the extremes and much of SF fandom seems to feel otherwise: that when all straight white males who like simple prose are eliminated, paradise will be achieved. That "liberal values" will somehow triumph through this exclusive, reactionary ideology. All it does is produce Rabid Puppies and more "liberals" fundamentally indistinguishable from them and more Ultra-Rabid Dogs and so on. As we can see: the Sad Puppies (the center-right portion of the "moderates" in this madness) are virtually eliminated from all influence. To blaspheme Paul Rodgers, "it's all Rabid now." And that's not all right. Maybe the extreme right will "win." Maybe the extreme left will "win." Most people will lose either way.

I have read about the different rabids, the movement against them etc but it should be clear real diversity in the field means there is room for everyone and even for those with different views than yourself. I have real respect for conservative SF by real talented authors, the fans that share those views that are still fellow fans to me.

I have grown up so to speak in my SF reading on a lot conservative SF by today's standards, the likes of Heinlein and co i admire despite they are not close to my own views,ideology,pov. I have nothing in common with white male authors,Christians, with political views that are miles away from the left-wing,the swedish system we live in but still i have enjoyed alot of SF enhanced by their views that didn't hurt anyone. To me i dont care what you believe in unless you are putting forward hateful views against female authors, other minorities, otherwise a good author is a good author no matter he is conservative or not.

We shouldnt let hateful rabids here or there divide the fan-base, make the award less prestige for the authors and hurt the award permenantly, like George RR Martin said it should be fixed so the award cant be gamed and its back to when it was an award for great authors of the field, a club you would want to join in by winning award won by Ursula Le Guin, Heinleins, Vances of the SFF world.

It's worth remembering that, according to File 770, out of the 4000+ ballots the puppy nominations are there thanks to block-voting by only 200 of them - so it's not a 'large group' just a small minority of idiots spitting in the barrel for the rest of us.

real diversity in the field means there is room for everyone and even for those with different views than yourself. I have real respect for conservative SF by real talented authors, the fans that share those views that are still fellow fans to me

I whole-heartedly agree!

It's worth remembering that, according to File 770, out of the 4000+ ballots the puppy nominations are there thanks to block-voting by only 200 of them - so it's not a 'large group' just a small minority of idiots spitting in the barrel for the rest of us

Yes, further adding to my perception that those of the puppy ilk are not interested in diversity or inclusion. They want SF to be defined in a certain way and to kick everyone else out of the sandbox.

I have read about the different rabids, the movement against them etc but it should be clear real diversity in the field means there is room for everyone and even for those with different views than yourself. I have real respect for conservative SF by real talented authors, the fans that share those views that are still fellow fans to me..

I agree with you but I also think that there has been very little good quality right wing Sci fi since the 1980s.

I agree with you but I also think that there has been very little good quality right wing Sci fi since the 1980s.

That is a different question because there are other different types of SF that havent had many quality authors since 80s,90s. It is not easy to find new talent in the field no the matter sub-genre, type of SF. There are always alot of old names in the noms for that reason.

Nnedi Okarafor is the only new fav SFF author that i saw in this years nomination with her nom for the best novella.