Where to go from there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Wilson

Lord of the onion rings
Hey all,

The following isn't of my making. It's an unfinished (hardly started really) story I found on my father's laptop after he passed away a few years ago.

I haven't touched it at all, posting it as it is.

Posting the opening here (there's a bit more, about 5K words in total).

I really want to complete it. No rush about it, just want to honour me ol' man's memory TBH.

I have been wondering for a while where to head with this, and would really appreciate some input on the style and whatever thoughts anyone with experience may have reading this.

Thanks a lot for taking time to read this. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Hard, hard, got to keep it low! Must be more aggressive!'

Ray gets off the toilet, wipes his bum.

'Move into the centre, control it. Keep it low.'

"Coffee's ready."

They sit at the kitchen table, Ray and Julia, doing the crossword as they drink their coffee,

"two down; support, sea-side structure, four letters,"

He hates it when it's easy, he also loves it when it's easy, the smart-arse starts writing it in before he's finished giving her the clue. Julia doesn't mind, she's somewhere else, her thoughts drifting, planning, worrying, whatever.

Somebody once said, in a film, maybe Billy the Kid, that every day you should test yourself. He'd ride through a briar patch rather than take the easy route, to push himself, test himself. A challenge a day, each bank hold-up more daring than the last, he ended up getting blasted to death, of course. If he had stuck to doing things the easy way, he would have lived longer, but then there wouldn't have been any films about him. Who's interested in safe, risky is exciting, at least in films. Billy the Average Bloke, it doesn't have the same ring to it, the fearless chap who worked in the greengrocer's, every day he tested himself by stacking the shelves neatly. It's got blockbuster written all over it!

"Bye then, I'll see you later."

"What time will you be home?"

"When I've finished, I expect."

Julia gets a perfunctory peck on the cheek, it can't be red hot romance all the time, can it? She wanders into the front room, watching the car slowly pull out into the road. She checks herself in the mirror, brushing the curl of blonde hair away from her eye. 'Not bad for an old bag,' she thinks as she applies another layer of crimson lipstick.

Ray drives to the workshop, as he had been doing most days for what seemed like a lifetime. He opens the gate, that's the worst bit; stop the car, open the gate, move the car through, shut the gate, back into the stupid car, it's things like this that make him want to give up, the devil's in the details they say, well eternal damnation is in opening and closing that bloody gate. He feels himself getting hot and bothered, something building up inside him, a surge of fury floods through him, a disproportionate torrent of emotion for such an insignificant annoyance. In his frustration, everything becomes much more difficult, the catch doesn't work, the gate digs itself into the mud, it's not like he really wants to go in anyway, he just has to, it's work. This is but one example of his internal life seeping out through his everyday body, a strength of emotion almost unrecognisable to him, poking it's angular head out from under his stiff upper lip. The moment of rage passes as quickly as it appeared, the lid settles back onto the cauldron of spitting bile he carries deep in his innermost being, he must just get on with the day.

It shouldn't take long, he thinks, it's only the head gasket. The workshop is a long, high ceilinged, breeze-block building, the fluorescent lights hum when he turns them on, the big, old doors creak and scrape along the ground when they're pulled open. At least it's reasonably cheap, and it's got three phase. It's not very much like the spacious, airy, modern unit they used to have, though, right in the middle of the industrial estate, enough room to work on four cars at a time, and with a nice clean reception area. Even had a receptionist. 'She was cute' he occasionally reflected, 'I wish...' He had never tried it on with her, prided himself on his fidelity, his loyalty. The repartee between them had become very cosy, by avoiding any hint of flirtatious innuendo they both felt comfortable confiding in the other. The more she knew about the problems in the business, the problems in his marriage, the less chance there was of their underwear intermingling on the floor.

'Where was that ******* now?' he wondered, 'leaving me with all the debts, the mess to clear up. *******, *******, *******.' The one ship more likely to sink than the Titanic, a Partnership.

The day seemed to go really quickly, the headgasket didn't. Sheared stud, dropped nut, everything rusty, greasy, shitty. Some days were like this, at least he was working, and for himself. He had started off as an apprentice, at Caffyns, he liked mucking about with cars, he didn't even mind the 'initiation', spending half an hour hanging on the wall, hooked up by his overalls, they were just having a laugh. Bastards. He learned his trade, worked his way up, until he and Tim had saved up enough money, and enough courage, to strike out on their own. MGBs had been their bread and butter, rebuilds, restoration, modification, the eighties had been a great time, people could afford to indulge their hobbies, have interests, have choice. That's right, the choice to buy their own council house, to move up in the world, stop being a renter, become an owner. Plenty of work, plenty of money, everything was going well, they knew loads of head waiters. This was the life.

It sounds angry. Some people may feel it lacks action or "hook" to draw you in. I'm not sure. I can't tell where the story is going. I think some effective description and emotion.

However I'm rubbish at critiques. I do know if I hate, loath, like or love a story, a book. Occasionally I can explain why.

Nothing in the text "trips" me up.

The prose is clean if meandering. But this is lit fic a la David Foster Wallace not sff ... unless a tentacled alien enters in the next scene?

unless a tentacled alien
or a mis-wired ECU leads to discovery of a starship drive / portal generator / end of civilisation
or it's a VR scene and he's been "wired in" for years.

I only put in one tentacled alien (teenage girl in college) to keep my son happy, it's not important to her character or special powers, any more than having freckles and plaits (she hasn't got those, but some other characters in other books have)

I like it, rather a lot.

I think it's a hard task to complete something as idiosyncratic as this, unless you write like your father. It has a hardboiled - even Beckettian at times - feel to it, about the Human Condition. As far as where it goes, well, that's a hard one. I'd be quite interested in reading the full 5k so feel free to PM it to me, or I can PM my email address to you. Maybe that'd give me a better idea of its direction

@DG Jones - what do you think?

pH

As someone who has lost their dad, I really like the idea of finishing his story for him. There is a lot of character development happening here, and that's a great thing for people who prefer that over world building. For me, this needs better punctuation. Sometimes I stumbled to find where one idea stopped and the next one began, but that's the easy stuff. I'm really confused by the opening and I'd like to see a hint of the SF side pretty soon, but I hope you'll pick up the torch and run with this. I'm sure he'd be proud.

@DG Jones - what do you think?

The dang website doesn't give me alerts when I'm tagged anymore (Grrr) so I just happened upon this now.

Yes, I agree, it's really rather good! The grammar, flow and syntax is pretty clunky in places, but that's nothing that can't be fixed with a proper edit.
But the feel is great; a crooked half-smile of faded Thatcherism after the varnish has worn orf. A hangover of Victorian stoicism and stiff-upper-lippedness crossed with the excitement of the working classes on the make. Extremely English. Crosswords and MGs. Love it!

As for what happens, who knows? It has a short story or novella feel to it rather than novel IMO but anything could happen.

The obvious next step (for me) would be for something to disrupt the well-worn furrow of his resigned life and let the pent-up emotions out. So... enter a new character, someone who's the embodiment of Billy The Kid who's going to shake things up somehow. As for who that is, that's up to you, but in my mind somebody who brings out his inner Billy-the-Kid (or just his inner kid, harking back to the glory days of the 80s) would be just the tonic the story requires.

May I ask: is it supposed to be speculative? One possible tangent would be to somehow transport him back to the snarling, Amis-icious 80s so he can relive it and see it in a different light, or something...? I don't know. It's got the makings of something exciting.

Best of luck with it, and it sounds like a very noble project to honour your dad.

What is the story about? Its hard to know exactly what to say with there being so little context. I found myself wanting something to happen. As it is, its a mundane scene about a mundane day - well executed - but I'd be asking myself "so what" pretty quickly unless the title or the premise had grabbed me in some way. Is this normal life about to be torn apart by something? Is Ray going to turn to crime? What's the hook?

Prose wise... there's an Irvine Welsh-esque element to it that I like. There's a definite style going on but on the negative or hopefully constructive, I hated the second line. If the intent is to make it earthy and real, all it did was feel childish. I was expecting it to be some crass comedy and if I'd picked that up in a bookshop I'd have put it straight down. Which would be a shame because reading on, I warmed to it very quickly.

I did find it jumped POV from Ray to Julia for one paragraph then back to Ray. Maybe that's fine, but it meant I was hedging as to who was the main character for a while.

I like his writing style a lot.

But... I think it would be interesting experiment to try and add another 5000k words to it and see if you're able to take it in a direction and it still seem like it was written by the same person. That's a great fast paced read. But it's hard to write like that unless you think in that way or practice a lot.

You may have addressed this somewhere but are you thinking of this as a short story or a long novel? I really do like this writing. But I do think it might wear me out if it goes on like this for an entire novel.

It makes it difficult to judge with just this bit. It's not SFF. It definitely has earmark of literary. The question might be::
Can you take off from his prose and carry the same style from there.
Not to mention nailing down the Genre, which might show up later in what he has so far finished.

Still if you were to take it over and were going to spin it toward the SFF genre, then perhaps you should go through the whole and chose where you want to take it and if it needs a rewrite from the start to fit things in, you could post it again for critique. As it is there are some portions of this piece that seemed disjointed and it's difficult to tell if that is a plan in the narrative voice or what. Unless you know, you might want to clean that up a bit.

I really like the writing style and am curious if Steve has determined a direction for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back