I'm Going to Count My Books & Give THE BOOK REPORT on June 1

Extollager

Chrons people are invited to count their books and to wait until June 1, 2016 to report the number. On June 1 you could post a message in a form something like this: "During April 28-30, I counted my books. At that time I counted 1,054 volumes."

This will give everyone time to count their books, to take the opportunity to weed, and so on.

For myself, assuming I follow through (!), I intend to follow these guidelines:

1.Electronic books don't count.
2.Telephone books don't count. (See also #7 below.)
3.Books that are yours only for use during your time on a job don't count.
4.Bound volumes of magazines do count, but loose magazines don't count.
5.Items that one has bound with staples don't count as books. (I have a number of novels that I downloaded from Project Gutenberg, printed, and bound with large staples. I'm not going to count these as books.) However, something like a fan-published book that is bound with staples will count. I have Harry Warner's fan history A Wealth of Fable in the form of three mimeographed and stapled "volumes." It will count as one book. (But see #8 below.)
6.Diaries, personal journals, scrapbooks, and photo albums don't count as books.
7.Ephemera such as Penney's or Monkey Ward's catalogs, paperback almanacs, college catalogs, and bookseller catalogs don't count, but school and college yearbooks do count as books. I own four city directories. They will add four books to my count.
8.Each volume of a multi-volume book counts as a book. For example, the two-volume Ballantine Fantasy editions of The Night Land and The Well at the World's End will add up to four books, not two. A forty-volume encyclopaedia set counts as 40 books.
9.Duplicate copies of books certainly do count. The idea is to count books, not "titles."
10.I've been married for 33 years. For me, it's easy to say whether a given book is mine or my wife's. Others may think about this matter in other ways.

Again, I'd ask that people wait till June 1 to report their count at a thread to be called THE BOOK REPORT, so that we can have a one-day celebration (or, if this is how it feels, public confession!) of our book holdings; but till then it would be nice to hear from people who intend to participate, and to have comments on the above one person's criteria vs. your own, and whatever else seems appropriate. It might be amusing if people would like to post their estimate of how many books they have, and to compare them on June 1 with the actual number. It would also be amusing if we get a high percentage of Chrons members reporting, to get a sense of how many books out collections together represent. (Gulp!)

I'm going to estimate that I when I do my count will arrive at about 3,o00 books.

Last edited:
Hmm... may not be enough time.
Do ones boxed in the attic count?

mine or my wife's.
Hmm. Tricky on maybe 500 titles. Easier to simply count books in the house.
Some might be my son's books.

So non-fiction counts, like a manual on Corel Draw or "WIN32 API Desktop Reference"?

Why are we doing this?

I can't get close enough to some of the books to count them!

What about rpg'ing and wargaming rulebooks?

The only reason I think I might be able to do this is I'm sorting out stuff to sell anyway... otherwise I'd be like, dude... think how much reading time I'll waste counting them!

It's up to y'all how to decide what counts as a book, of course, what counts as your book, or why you would want to take the time to count your books in the first place.

I intend to do this mostly because I'm just curious about how many books I have! I inventoried my books over 40 years ago and counted a little over one thousand. I've bought many books since then but have also pretty aggressively weeded my collection, selling or giving away, or even occasionally throwing away, hundreds of books.

My estimate of 3,000 books may turn out to be off by quite a bit.

I don't think it's going to take much time, since I just intend to walk around and count spines of books, for the most part. Some are in boxes or are double-shelved, so I will have to take them out for a moment to count 'em.

Hoo, boy. If I do this, I'll need to lay in a bigger stock of fingers and toes ...

Randy M.

One thing this exercise is going to do is get me thinking about disposing of several shelves' worth of books that I was given, but that I'm mostly not very interested in. If I'm not going to keep them, I don't want their numbers to inflate my book-count. If I'm not going to keep them, what am I going to do with them?

I think I'm going to have to have three counts: books I'm keeping, and books I "have" but expect to dispose of -- that's two counts; and then the total of these two, since while I "have" them, they are, after all, mine!

Just a reminder, if anyone's interested.

Leading up to the book count event, I have been giving away some books. Someone may now be reading some titles by Lois Bujold, James White, etc. that I didn't need.

I will try this. It may take more than an hour. I believe I have about 800-1000 books.

Okay... I have done my book count. I generally didn't count pamphlets, bound volumes of magazines, phone books, books clearly belonging to my wife, and some books we are saving in case the kids want them eventually. I added up my tally sheets twice and, for a wonder, got the same total each time.

I'll wait till June 1 to announce the total -- when I hope some others will also submit their "Book Reports." What strikes me, having done this, is how poor a job I made of it when it came to estimating how many books I have. I was off by more than a thousand!

It took me around 3 hours to count my collection. I was checking for things like signed copies and first edition status that slowed me down. I had twice as many pulps/magazines/fanzines/pamphlets/chapbooks as I expected. I know they don't count due to the parameters of the thread but they are fun to "rediscover".

Ugh. I had an Auxiliary Library in the storage loft of the barn that has gone hopelessly to mildew and mold. Many great titles from the eighties and earlier. A ton of SFBC, when it was great in the eighties. And decades of Asimov's and Analog Mags. A great loss. I'd have to wear a hazardous waste mask to read many of them. I've been sadly feeding many of them to the Banana Slugs in the forest.

The heaps still left in the house? Count them?!? Yeeesh.

Apparently, I'm not a very tidy person.

I have been thinking about doing the same since i have become a real avid reader, collector since i joined SFF chrons in 2007, didnt read much before 2006.

I dont count ebook,audiobooks since i only read,like paperbooks just like Goodreads i dont count my comic books collections with the rest of my books since i was an avid comics reader before a regular book reader. For me its easy to count my books since i live in a student corridor with 3 big book shelves, 4-5 boxes of books in my storage.

Im a very strict collector i dont collect,buy books by that isnt written by a fav author or for a special interest like history,course books, Somali culture books. I have probably read half of the my 600 books listed in Goodreads through the library or books i traded away or gave away.

My policy is a keep a book you will re-read or love, keep a Vance or a Poe or a London or Euripides or Hammett or a Gemmell but dump all decent generic one time reads by the likes of Stephen King, Jim Bucther as examples of authors i read only once for entertainment.

So i dont have the experience or the time to have a collection of 3000 books but im very curious to find all the early books i have forgotten i still have. Also i have lose more random books to make room for my alltime fav authors books i dont have already ;)

Day after tomorrow...

Of course anyone can chime in with a book count any time, before, on, or after June 1 of this year.

Alex the G and T- I feel your pain.

A co-worker told me a horror story about her father who hosted, supported and helped find agents for a group of Science Fiction authors in the Olympia Washington and Berkley California areas during the 60's. As each member published a new novel they would send copies to him. He ended up needing to build an addition to his house to store all of the books. The house flooded in the late 80's and he lost manuscripts, books, letters and pictures from Ursula Le Guin, Frank Herbert. Marion Zimmer Bradley, and about 20 other authors. It happened about 6 months before he was going to endow the collection to a University.

On to better memories tomorrow with the big count!

A co-worker told me a horror story about her father....It happened about 6 months before he was going to endow the collection to a University.

(Clenches teeth again and draws in a painful breath) Ouuuuchhh.

My official count as of May 25 was 4,086 books. Since then I've added two and removed ten. The count was made pretty rapidly and in installments, but I suppose I did touch most of the books. I'd probably get a slightly different number if I did a recount. The last time I counted my books was around 35 years ago, at which time I came up with just over a thousand.

How about you?

14 books. I don't have many books since they are large and I move around a lot. I only have 3 fiction books in total. I appear to have lost my one sci-fi book to the winds of time. But I still have the book my friend wrote.

3,330. But I still have 5 bookcases, a couple of chairs, and three small lamp stands to count. (Hey, anything with a flat surface ...)

I also have a 2-3 boxes of books I intend to trade or give away that I haven't counted.

Randy M.

Back