2.03: Fear The Walking Dead - Ouroboros

ctg

weaver of the unseen
v9MPVdt.jpg

Alicia Clark, Christopher Manawa and Daniel Salazar (Photy by Richard Foreman/AMC)

Madison confronts Strand about his undisclosed destination; Nick, Alicia and others inspect a plane crash site.

Note: Ouroboros is a symbol of a snake (sometimes dragon) eating its own tail in a circle, and often symbolizes eternal recurrence (something coming back in a similar form infinitely), something recreating itself constantly, or a phoenix-like cycle. It can also symbolize eternity, or something so great it cannot be extinguished and endures forever.

Travis did his best on trying to get killed, but he failed to get captured by a dead passenger. One that for some reason had managed to fit his arm all the way into water intake. I don't know exactly how they're done in boats, but I would assume that it's not just a pipe hole. Although the pumps throwing out water has so far being just straight holes.

But what really happened to the passenger as he was in that tiny rescue boat that's not meant for Ocean sailing. Not for long term sailing at least. What surprised me was how he looked at dead. There was no bloating, instead his skin had shrunk and started resembling a sultan.

Another thing that surprised me as well is Christopher continued effort on trying to find weapons and ways to dispose dead people. However he hasn't learn most effective ways, or the fact, that you'll continue disposing them from near vicinity until you're going to get overran or you have dealt with the dead. Letting them live isn't a nice thing as they always pose a threat to the living.

In this case I didn't see a point on them going on shore to check out a plane wreck. There's nothing there to help to survive. No food, no guns, maybe some water bottles and some medications, like the antibiotics Nick found from the suitcase. Only for so small things the scavenging trip was using useless things to do as those things are worth petrol and ammo.

Thing is we know that there are hordes of zombies.

It took Rick to go mental after Carl's for TWD crew to learn they can deal with the horde. FTWD people don't have any skills or experience on how to deal with great numbers. But that's the lesson Ouroboros teaches us: zombies will never run out of numbers. Not at the beginning of the zombie apocalypse.

The most stupid came from Strand for not finding out what the woman in lifeboat is capable. She could have been useful to them for being smart enough to survive in the ocean in a tiny dinky.

What did you think? And did anyone redeemed their name? I would like to move Strand into the kill-list for being a stubborn SOB.

In this case I didn't see a point on them going on shore to check out a plane wreck. There's nothing there to help to survive. No food, no guns, maybe some water bottles and some medications, like the antibiotics Nick found from the suitcase. Only for so small things the scavenging trip was using useless things to do as those things are worth petrol and ammo.
It was the "beach/island of the week" that I complained of last week, and hoped that we wouldn't get stuck in. Notice how by the end of the show, everything had returned to exactly the way it was at the start.

The most stupid came from Strand for not finding out what the woman in lifeboat is capable. She could have been useful to them for being smart enough to survive in the ocean in a tiny dinky.
What did you think? And did anyone redeemed their name? I would like to move Strand into the kill-list for being a stubborn SOB.
Strand said it, "You're not a killer," otherwise he would be first overboard. Soon, they will be killers though. He must be getting worried when that will be.

My take on this week:

There was no collective reason to go to the beach, but individually there was. Daniel for antibiotics, Nick for a fix, Chris (from what I could understand) to take out frustrations, and Alicia to, well, do something stupid. Yes, there should not have been any problems, why oh why did they not post a proper lookout! Despite the "beach of the week" I liked the way the tension built, culminating in Nick's new look (still think it beats the grandpa togs he previously wore).

With Strand, there's something up there. The refusal to allow anyone else on board is bordering on the fanatical. Part of me thinks (and could be wrong) that he's working on orders not to let anyone else on, and whomever is giving those orders is not one to cross. He definitely seemed conflicted shortly before he cut them loose.

But yes, all of the plot devices in this week were there simply to drive an isolated story, there seemed to be no other reason, was all a little coincidental. I do foresee Chris becoming a bit of a psychopath, if he doesn't get himself killed first. Alicia claims she understands the new reality, she does not. Nick on the other hand, he fits right in.

Notice how by the end of the show, everything had returned to exactly the way it was at the start.

Well as long as there's a status quo, things are better than what they could be - in the mainland. But for a moment, think about a case were they're driving two to three knots and they hit a floater. In this case, the floater didn't find a boarding deck at the rear. It couldn't get worse than getting stuck in the pump hole.

If a floater or a group of them gets in the boat, Abigail's crew has to do everything the can in order to survive. If a major storm develops in the pacific, they're going to have to find a safe harbour and things can get ugly very easily, very fast. But, for the safety reason I think Abigail is a better choice than getting stuck with Dale's bus - on their way to Herhel's farm. In the same time it's also a coffin - if that said "safe harbour" is overran by a hoard, and there's really no other choice to go elsewhere.

He must be getting worried when that will be.

Strand tries to see the future, but he doesn't see what he should be watching. He doesn't understand that this mystical place in Baja, Mexico can already be overran by some other gang, or a hoard. So, forcing that survivor in that little dinky he's not seeking information, same stuff they got from the logbook. In fact, he isn't learning that the game is over. Zombies won! No replays available.

The silence in the other end of the line should be a wake up call about the reality, but he ignored it, and forced himself to be the idiot. Not the man who can see the game. Maybe the reason for that is because, the game has changed. It's all about survival from here on forever, until they can find a settlement like the Alexandria Safe-zone.

The problem they have is: they are skipping the land complely and diminishing the possibility of finding proper survivors, like the one he dumped in the boat. They need all lives they can get, and they need a doctor, because we know how effed up that situation can be, if they don't have one to deal with the emergencies.

Sorry to lend the new BSG here, but I believe Adama knew from the get-go that the game was all about survival, and it was played in the numbers - if he didn't, Baltar had no doubt about it. And those numbers are so small at the Pacific Ocean - just like they were in the BSG's space after cyclon's attack.

You can go up and down the coastline, and it's same story everywhere they go. So heading over the Pacific (to Hawaii) is a gamble Strand didn't want to make. He needs a bigger vessel for that thing. In fact, they all need a bigger boat, a proper one to survive out there.

Abigail is just too small for the prospect of long term survival. But they're not making it absolutely clear in the show. And, they don't have a strong leader. There are too many Alphas in this group.

Who would have to go, for them to get straight with the game?

Last edited:
How stupid are these people? That said I really like Nick and I believe Travis has major reserves in the mental strength dept.

Last edited:
The look that Madison gave Strand when he said she is not a killer said otherwise. She proved herself capable of killing when she bludgeoned her principal's head to a bloody pulp with a fire extinguisher. At the time, she had no idea that he was already dead.

She was defending herself in that case. If Strand seriously threatens any member of her family, I don't doubt that she would react with lethal force. I think she might need a little help, though, in carrying out her threat to throw him overboard. :)

Madison's overall relationship with Strand seems a little strange. She calls him "Victor" when they are having a private discussion but reverts back to "Strand" when she refers to him in conversations with others. It also seems odd that she is more quick to trust his plans than is Travis.

The look that Madison gave Strand when he said she is not a killer said otherwise. She proved herself capable of killing when she bludgeoned her principal's head to a bloody pulp with a fire extinguisher. At the time, she had no idea that he was already dead.

She was defending herself in that case. If Strand seriously threatens any member of her family, I don't doubt that she would react with lethal force. I think she might need a little help, though, in carrying out her threat to throw him overboard. :)

Agreed, that was the look of a maternal instinct that said, you try and hurt my family and I'll finish you.

Madison's overall relationship with Strand seems a little strange. She calls him "Victor" when they are having a private discussion but reverts back to "Strand" when she refers to him in conversations with others. It also seems odd that she is more quick to trust his plans than is Travis.
Didn't catch that bit, how does she know his first name??

Agreed, that was the look of a maternal instinct that said, you try and hurt my family and I'll finish you.

Didn't catch that bit, how does she know his first name??
That was the first time I recall Strand being called anything but Strand, although I may have missed a full name introduction somewhere. It struck me as implying a relationship with Victor closer than that shared by the others.

I'm not sure this has been posted anywhere else here, but the backstory for Flight 462 was released as an eight part webzine thing before the Season began and is available to watch here

Yeah, I put the whole thing in next episode threat and made those two survivors as members for the crew. We know how valuable certain characters like Alex can be for teams survival efforts. She knows how to handle things, and most probably has quite a bit of medical training, or at least knowledge on what happened out there, especially at the beginning. But Kirkman and AMC decided to not invest more into that avenue. It is almost as if somebody dips into that mythological box of to find out where to zombie plague originated from everything fall into part.

Personally, in my own - still unpublished - stuff I don't have that sort of hesitation and I've gave readers enough of information to join the dots and come up with what actually happened, and why. Where FTWD fails is that they haven't explored enough of Pacific Ocean and it's coastal areas to set themselves in a stable environment, like what they did with the Hershel's Farm at TWD. Abigail isn't feeling like a home, but like a coffin.

I have the feeling we will see her again.

Well it was a shitty conclusion. But Alex is still a side-character. Like Otis - the Hunter.