Your Favorite Comic Book Story

Extollager

There's a separate thread for outstanding science fiction stories, pre-1975, in comics, etc. Here's a place to tell about all-time favorites, whether sf or not, in the comic art medium. I'd ask that we restrict this to comic books in the sense of magazines, not trade paperbacks and so on, although a story you read in a trade paperback could be considered if it originally appeared in a comic book. Comic books are/were published on cheap paper, etc.

My selection is Carl Barks's Uncle Scrooge story "Tralla La," which takes the "Shangri-La" situation of a hidden kingdom to tell an adventurous, wise, funny, and humane story. Scrooge, Donald, and Donald's nephews seek tranquility and find it in a remote kingdom. Inadvertently they have brought trouble with them, in the form of bottle caps.

However, several of Barks's other stories are worthy to be ranked with this outstanding one, too -- "The Ghost of the Grotto," "The Seven Cities of Cibola," etc. And some of his short stories are virtually perfect of their kind.

Last edited:
Most of my favorite comic book stories are not from floppies, and honestly, i could nominate a different one every day.

Today my choice would be Eightball 23 (2004)

P00001.jpg

The Killing Joke. Only time Batman cracked a smile. :).

Lol, that was a moment of pure lunacy for him. I wonder if it showed his breaking point, or maybe off panel they went out and had a beer. Amazing story nonetheless.

I hope the cartoon they're doing does it justice.

On Free Comic book day, there was this nice little Firefly book, that had a fun little story - it started out goofy, until you understood the story, then it became this happy/sad moment - such a great quick read.
Long form, though, I always loved reading J. Obarr's The Crow graphic novel.

Judge Dredd America is an award-winning favourite. Originally published in the Judge Dredd Megazine, it was re-issued as a two part comic issue (not trade paperback).

What was especially interesting was how they showed Judge Dredd - normally the main character and sometime anti-hero - as a fascist villain, simply through a change in perspective (characters in a fledgling democracy movement).

A story about politics and dreams, violence and guilt, and unrequited love. With superb art by Simon Bisley.

Judge_Dredd_America.jpg

Hmmmm difficult.
From 2000AD either the first Nemesis the Warlock stories or one of the Judge Dredd stories: the best were biting dark satire on the 1980s.
Or...
Almost anything from Metal Hurlant by Moebius.

Nemesis the Warlock and all the 2000 A.D. comix... various mini-series like Stainless Steel Rat, Solomon Kane. Jonah Hex, possible th' only comic what uses hardly no proper English talk.. erm... all EC SF... lots underground comix too. Many more, must dig thru the memory bins a bit.

Locke and key!
Best comic ever. Read it and discover the new measuring stick of great comics.
Great characters in a deep story and the art:
locke-key-omega-archi-detail.jpg

...I teared up reading the ending to Locke and Key!
My sister actually cried.

The Dark Age story arc from Astro City, and I include the Silver Agent one-shot "To Serve And Protect" in that storyline, since it reveals what the Silver Agent was doing the whole time and why, and puts a nice end-cap on the whole thing. It just barely edges out Confessions, also from Astro City, purely because of its epic scope.

Astro City is the best comic book currently being published. "To Serve And Protect" is the only comic issue to actually make me cry.

Bone was surprisingly interesting.

My two favorite Spider-Man Arcs were Maximum Carnage, and the Death of Spider-man (ultimates). I find it hard to believe so many people didn't like Maximum Carnage. It was a great arc.

The Authority was also really good- well the first 3 arcs, anyway.

Back