Was Charlton Premiere's CHILDREN OF DOOM the Finest Single SF Comic Before 1976?

Uh, as anyone actually read all of these early stories? That's what I wonder... are they all reprinted? Have we read them all cover-to-cover and cornsidered each story?

We just have to do the best we can.

I did get hold of a book that reprinted "Heroes Need Cowards" and enjoyed it -- particularly Joe Kubert's art, although looking through a book with hundreds of pages of Kubert art, I did feel like his work was repetitive. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
I've always thought this particular issue would make a great jumping off place for a screenplay if anyone were to make a movie about Sgt. Rock. In fact, I have it in the back of my mind I read somewhere quite a while ago they were planning to with Bruce Willis as Rock. Nothing has ever come of it unfortunately. Willis would make a great Rock.

It's looking like there might not have ever been more than a handful of comics published before 1976 that contained one magazine-length science fiction story -- unless we count superhero comics.

Would it be a good idea here to list any such comics that we are aware of? These would include

----the Star Trek comic books
----other TV tie-in comics -- what would those be? Time Tunnel, etc.?
----the comics version of King Kong, perhap
----other movie tie-in comics -- I seem to remember a Fantastic Voyage comic
----the Classics Illustrated magazines that adapted classics such as The War of the Worlds, Frankenstein, The Invisible Man, The Time Machine, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Off on a Comet, The First Men in the Moon, The Grasshopper Lies Heavy (just kidding!), etc. I'm not sure about all of these, by the way -- but there must be a Classics Illustrated list somewhere.

At one time I must have had the first dozen or so Star Trek comics, but I don't remember that any of them were much good.The stories were original, not adaptations of TV episodes.

Would the first few Dan Dare stories from The Eagle count? They contain some of the best comic artwork I've ever seen.