Space 1999

logan_run

Science fiction fantasy
does anyone like space 199season 1 or 2?or both.how doe sit rate against star trek.

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
The show had great special effects and production values , wooden acting and some really implausible writing . Season 1 was better of the two seasons . That said , I do find the series very entertaining.:)

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
I'd have rather seen UFO renewed (which was the reason the Moonbase sets were built) and the whole idea of the Moon leaving the Earth without any consequences, and flying through space at the speed of a different solar system every week, well, even as a child, I found that way too much af a suspension of disbelief. On the other hand, British SF TV was limited and today it is hard to understand that anything at all was preferable to nothing.

BAYLOR

I'd have rather seen UFO renewed (which was the reason the Moonbase sets were built) and the whole idea of the Moon leaving the Earth without any consequences, and flying through space at the speed of a different solar system every week, well, even as a child, I found that way too much af a suspension of disbelief. On the other hand, British SF TV was limited and today it is hard to understand that anything at all was preferable to nothing.

Wasn't The proposed sequel series called UFO 1999 ?

BAYLOR

The Reboot hasn't happened and like it will never happen at all.

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
Wasn't The proposed sequel series called UFO 1999 ?

Sorry for the 3-years-later reply but you have misunderstood my earlier post. Long before the idea of any sequels, or even of Space 1999 itself, there was just UFO. It got cancelled (I think there was a nationwide shortage of purple wigs and silver lipstick) but the sets that would have been the Moonbase in the next season had already been built. Therefore, a new series was devised using those sets - Space 1999 was born.

I've no idea about any new sequel/re-imaging. I'd very much doubt it would be successful. If I could choose to bring back any British series then it would have to be Blake's 7.

BAYLOR

Sorry for the 3-years-later reply but you have misunderstood my earlier post. Long before the idea of any sequels, or even of Space 1999 itself, there was just UFO. It got cancelled (I think there was a nationwide shortage of purple wigs and silver lipstick) but the sets that would have been the Moonbase in the next season had already been built. Therefore, a new series was devised using those sets - Space 1999 was born.

I've no idea about any new sequel/re-imaging. I'd very much doubt it would be successful. If I could choose to bring back any British series then it would have to be Blake's 7.

UFO production values were really good But the show had many problem problem Wooden acting , unlikable characters and stilted scripts and stories, the series needs more action . Since this was for International distribution they should brought actors from other parts the world including the US. Gerry and Sylvia Anderson should have hired , better director and writers who could actual write good science fiction.

As for Space 1999 It was supposed be UFO 1999 and that would been a better idea then what they ended up doing instead.

There was supposed to be a reboot called Space 2099 but it never got going.