Gareth Thomas - Roj Blake

Sad news indeed. I grew up with Blake's 7 as part of my Science Fiction staple diet and I'm sure many others here did the same.

I saw this just before I went to bed last night. Like Foxbat I grew up with Blake's 7, and having been watching the early series recently, it gave the characters a kind of immortality seeing them in their prime - and how young they looked. It is a reminder of real life to have it snapped back to reality, and that even childhood heroes can die.

It is, perhaps the biggest of irony of all, that Thomas left Blake's 7 hoping he would not become typecast, but as the news broke last night all reports were referencing him as Blake. Not bad really, for two series and two episodes work.

It is, perhaps the biggest of irony of all, that Thomas left Blake's 7 hoping he would not become typecast, but as the news broke last night all reports were referencing him as Blake. Not bad really, for two series and two episodes work.

Indeed, a shame to be remembered principally for one thing, but looked at the other way, to be remembered so fondly and so long for it is a fine thing. Many actors don't have even that.

When they write my obit and scrabble around for something like "His coin analysis program for the 1981 Marconi weekly payroll was a thing of beauty.", I can't see very many people being impressed.

I remember him in many other things (Corrie and Z-cars from the old days, for instance, and Torchwood more recently), but admit that Blake remains foremost in my mind.
R.I.P. Gareth.

Sad to hear this. Some great memories from Blake's 7.

Damnation - is he the first to go?

No, David Jackson (Gan) and Peter Tuddenham (Zen/Orac/Slave) are both dead (2005, 2007)

I onle heard this an hour ago. Sad news indeed, I loved Blakes 7.