Dr Strange: trailer

I thought the SFX were amazing but the film was light on plot. It's worth going to the cinema just for the effects. The film, though, felt like an overly long introduction for Dr Strange into the MCU that probably could have been dealt with in the next Thor film. It is entertaining and very funny in places. I did like Cumberbatch in the role. The first 'extra' bit after the credits was probably my favourite part in the whole film ...

Funnily enough, I thought the SFX had horrible compositing and lighting, plus it really needed to make up its mind which effect they wanted to use. The director obviously thought using everything he liked would work (Inception, Minority Report, Avengers, Christopher Nolan Batman).

It's very funny. I think the strongest part of the movie was the humor and gags. The story was weak, the character development next to non-existent and the resolution was very unsatisfying. Without both Benedicts' (Cumberbatch and Wong) deadpan humor, this would have really fallen hard. But it was entertaining and made more sense than the other movies.

I loved the effects, and I thought the humor was on point, but it was a bit light on plot. Still a fun movie to see, but don't go in expecting it to change your life. I am excited to see the tie-in with the next Thor movie, though.

Coulda, shoulda, didn't. Now the Doc becomes a typical superhero. Spoiler - The Ancient One is now a lady, by the Smooth-skinned hosts of Hoggoth!

I bought a copy of the animated Dr Strange movie a few years ago and it'll be interesting to see how the live-action version compares to it (but don't hold your breath for my opinion because I won't see this until it's out on DVD)

I saw this the other day and thought it was OK. Not the strongest Marvel movie, but not the weakest either. It seemed to take a while to get going, but also felt it had to as it introduced a lot of concepts new to the Marvel cinematic universe.

When the big bad started being name dropped I was afraid we'd have another Green Lantern situation, where he defeats his most powerful (I think, not too familiar with Dr. Strange's rogue's gallery) enemy in his first outing. That's... Not exactly what happened so while the final confrontation seemed a little anticlimactic I thought it was pretty clever.

I knew nothing about the character of Dr Strange, but approached this film feeling somewhat cynical about how they would handle magic. Clearly, the trailer showed were would be pretty special effects and something of a homage to Inception.

But Dr Strange was bigger and better and more fantastic than that. Every now and then a film comes along and shows you something completely new and different - The Matrix did it, Inception did it, and now Dr Strange has done that.

I enjoyed the way they spoke more about manipulating reality than conjuring magic - I liked the way the story presented a classic "good vs evil" plot and then stepped aside it to figure out another solution. The ending and resolution was clever and fully foreshadowed.

I wasn't sure whether to buy this film or just rent it - I had a sneaking suspicion I'd want to watch it again. And I was very right about that.

Chalk this up as another superb success from Marvel Studios.

Watched this last night and, I don't know, maybe it's just me getting cynical in my old age but I thought it was pretty mediocre.

What really annoyed me was the lazy characterisation...I mean.. take a man at the top of his profession, arrogant, a hit with the ladies, got fast cars, has a life changing trauma...etc, etc. Who are we talking about? Steven Strange or Tony Stark? Do something different for pete's sake! Why does everybody's life changing moment feel like they're all becoming the same?

I'm sorry but the the rigid adherence to formulaic plotting (including dying mentor...quelle surprise..I never saw that one coming:rolleyes:) cannot be compensated for no matter how many flashy CGI things you throw at it. And talking of CGI, I really felt that this was just a replay of Inception mixed in with a dollop of the last 20 minutes of 2001(Strange's first out of body experience). It's even visually cliched!

Too many flashing lights and not a lot of originality here despite one of my favourite bad guys (Mads Mickkelsen)..who was criminally underused by the way.

Superhero films have gone beyond saturation point now methinks and have entered the realm of tedium.

Heretic! :D

A unique part of the film was at the end when Dr Strange fought Mads in forward time, while everything around them happened backwards - yet both sets of action directly interacted.

I've never seen anything like that before, so it gets an extra thumbs up from me for doing something original - though I suspect it may have already been done in Asian cinema.

Heretic! :D

A unique part of the film was at the end when Dr Strange fought Mads in forward time, while everything around them happened backwards - yet both sets of action directly interacted.

Yes. That part was very well done:)

I liked this movie; it's a bit different from the usual Marvel stuff. As always, there's the scene at the end of the credits setting up the next movie.

Watched this last night and, I don't know, maybe it's just me getting cynical in my old age but I thought it was pretty mediocre.

What really annoyed me was the lazy characterisation...I mean.. take a man at the top of his profession, arrogant, a hit with the ladies, got fast cars, has a life changing trauma...etc, etc. Who are we talking about? Steven Strange or Tony Stark? Do something different for pete's sake! Why does everybody's life changing moment feel like they're all becoming the same?

I'm sorry but the the rigid adherence to formulaic plotting (including dying mentor...quelle surprise..I never saw that one coming:rolleyes:) cannot be compensated for no matter how many flashy CGI things you throw at it. And talking of CGI, I really felt that this was just a replay of Inception mixed in with a dollop of the last 20 minutes of 2001(Strange's first out of body experience). It's even visually cliched!

Too many flashing lights and not a lot of originality here despite one of my favourite bad guys (Mads Mickkelsen)..who was criminally underused by the way.

Superhero films have gone beyond saturation point now methinks and have entered the realm of tedium.

In fairness, they were kinda constrained by the comic's Dr. Strange and Iron Man both being arrogant rich guys brought low (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). The plotting was pretty formulaic, but Marvel have shown even with this film that they can do different things. For example
the cliché would have been to have strange beat Mads Mikkleson's character, then go on to beat Dormamu. In truth he never beat either. He annoyed Dormamu into just going away, taking Mads with him.

In fairness, they were kinda constrained by the comic's Dr. Strange and Iron Man both being arrogant rich guys brought low (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Yep. That's probably true. But many stories have been rebooted/re-imagined. Did they really have to stick so rigidly to a cardboard cutout - especially when they had used it so recently with the Iron Man franchise?

As for the plot maybe I missed something important but if time didn't exist in the dark dimension then how did Strange's time spell work? How could he possibly introduce and manipulate time if it doesn't exist in the dark dimension? Surely his spell would have been ineffective?

But even before he casts his spell for the first time, he moves through the dimension and before he talks to Dorm, initiates the spell - and these things happen in a linear fashion - which tells me that time does exist (or else he wouldn't be able to do this) and then the whole plot is just nonsense.

Last edited:
Yep. That's probably true. But many stories have been rebooted/re-imagined. Did they really have to stick so rigidly to a cardboard cutout - especially when they had used it so recently with the Iron Man franchise?

As for the plot maybe I missed something important but if time didn't exist in the dark dimension then how did Strange's time spell work? How could he possibly introduce and manipulate time if it doesn't exist in the dark dimension? Surely his spell would have been ineffective?

But even before he casts his spell for the first time, he moves through the dimension and before he talks to Dorm, initiates the spell - and these things happen in a linear fashion - which tells me that time does exist (or else he wouldn't be able to do this) and then the whole plot is just nonsense.

I would guess the answer is
because he had the Time Gem[\spoiler].

Did they really have to stick so rigidly to a cardboard cutout

I suspect the problem comes from the comic books, which the film needs to connect to. I've lost count of the number of superheroes who happen to be successful billionaires.

It was powered by
the Time Stone.
That was revealed in one quick line at the end of the movie, so it's not surprising if you happened to miss it.[/spoiler]
Ah!
Okay. Looks like I'll have to up my 'attention to detail' setting:)

Back