Dr Strange: trailer

I must admit that this one worries me somewhat - I liked the 'toon version of Dr Strange, I'm just not convinced that Marvel will pull this one off :(

I think it has a lot of potential. A lot of the MCU has focused on a SciFi approach, even in the Thor movies (example -
Jane Foster: That's a quantum field generator isn't it?
Eir: It's a soul forge.
Jane Foster: Does a soul forge transfer molecular energy from one place to another?
Eir: [surprised] Yes.
Jane Foster: [to Thor, quietly pleased] Quantum field generator.)
I don't have a problem with trying to ground some of the MCU's more fantastical aspects by offering some sort of scientific-ish explanation.
Dr. Strange looks like a story where they will finally embrace the mystical, given the nature of the character and what they showed in the trailer. I'm looking forward to it, even if their cityscapes did remind me a little of Inception.

I just want to know how the magic is going to work and how it's going to connect with the already depicted "supernatural" elements,so as Thor's hammer and Loki's illusions.

I saw this yesterday. Very, very good.

I don't usually like Benedict Cumberbatch, but he was well cast.

I'm toying with the idea of payong the extortionate cinema fee to see this. I'' guessing most would recommend it?

just watched it and I'm conflicted. Technically (to me as a layman) the effects and staging are just amazing... that said it seems to miss the 'lightness of touch' that is normal Marvel (that's not to say it's all DC doom 'n' gloom), Nolan's Inception is definitely a reference point!

I think it's one of those films where you admire it but I don't love it (like I did Guardians) - that being said I'm interested in the sequel

My friend lives near an IMAX theater, he's going to see it there. Given the positive reviews so far it might just be worth an IMAX visit.

...I wonder how they will wreck this one.

'Wreck' is the wrong word. Different century, very different audience. The arrogant, broken man who baffled Mordo's schemes is no longer enough. And (sadly) for a mainstream audience, these days even the fantastic has to fall within familiar reference points.

So, it's very pretty. They've played fast and light with the source material, while doing some blenderwork to get a viable continuity with the MCU. That being said, it's a credible origin piece - despite a couple of plot details that sit badly with me.

After forty years of waiting, I'll give this 4 out of 5 stars and a one-liner of "They didn't break it and I enjoyed it."

just watched it and I'm conflicted. Technically (to me as a layman) the effects and staging are just amazing... that said it seems to miss the 'lightness of touch' that is normal Marvel (that's not to say it's all DC doom 'n' gloom), Nolan's Inception is definitely a reference point!

I think it's one of those films where you admire it but I don't love it (like I did Guardians) - that being said I'm interested in the sequel

I don't think the next chapter in Marvel is going to be all too light. With Dr. Strange we are beginning Stage 4, and Stage 4 is for lack of a better word, Magic. Even Harry Potter had few light moments in it and those were all mostly towards the beginning. It's hard to do light magic without getting cheesy and while I didn't see the film yet, I am glad that people aren't saying it is cheesy. I'm very excited for this next phase and the trailer shown during Agents of Shield forced me to get to the theater to see it this upcoming weekend. I don't even like Cumberbatch as an actor.

DON'T SEE THIS FILM IF YOU ARE AFFECTED BY SHAKY CAMERAS!!!!! YOU'LL THANK ME LATER.

I saw the film in the theaters 3D and IMAX, man was it trippy. I almost couldn't take it. This has never happened to me before, I barely had any after-effects after watching both inception and intersellar. I thought my head was going to explode from all the mind-blowingly cool special effects. I'm not sure if I left the theater shaken or physically ill. What a wild ride it was!

Back