How happy are your characters...

Pentagon

Hey there- following on from idea's like, the most interesting characters in fiction are not always the ones you'd want to hang out with as a best friend! I found myself wondering how happy are my characters... many of them are careerists or idealists or generally a bit nuts. But when they are doing their jobs, or whatever it is that defines them, are they actually fulfilled?

It strikes me that very few characters actually get a chance to be happy, perhaps because of the conflict, or the threat of the big bad- but for those characters whom 'live' for conflict do they actually enjoy that moment or does the writer forget about it...

Hey there- following on from idea's like, the most interesting characters in fiction are not always the ones you'd want to hang out with as a best friend! I found myself wondering how happy are my characters... many of them are careerists or idealists or generally a bit nuts. But when they are doing their jobs, or whatever it is that defines them, are they actually fulfilled?

It strikes me that very few characters actually get a chance to be happy, perhaps because of the conflict, or the threat of the big bad- but for those characters whom 'live' for conflict do they actually enjoy that moment or does the writer forget about it...
The main character in Thumar, Derak, does complain about certain things and goings on. He is not necessarily unhappy, but sometimes bored. He is most happy in the middle of a crisis, although he won't admit it.

Characters can certainly have moments of happiness - but they might become dull if they remained happy all the time. Even Mark Wattney in The Martian displays both humour and pathos.

Generally a bit unhappy. Conflict creates interest, and misery is the compost heap from which the mirth grows.

Same as Jo. I'm no George R. R Martin, but I've finished a couple of first drafts now and I can't think of a single character who's come out 100% happy with how it's worked out for them. It serves them right for yattering about in my head keeping me up at night.

Characters can certainly have moments of happiness - but they might become dull if they remained happy all the time.

This. Because otherwise they'd have no real drive to do anything in our stories. But they do need flashes of happiness, too, however dark the story. Even GRRM gives his characters their moments. Right before he chops their heads off.

My character was raised in misery but found love despite his demons. It happens in fiction all the time no matter how dark the circumstances. Okay, sometimes it doesn't. :confused:

A lot of my characters 'live' for conflict, but I don't think it makes them happy. They're still tense, still worried, just that without conflict, they're bored silly, and that's worse... my main character at the moment, I'm not sure he really knows how to be happy. But he's happy being unhappy.

I was trying a Twoflower-esque character whose always happy simply because he can't comprehend the godawful situations he finds himself in, but was finding that boring.

Basically all of my characters are striving to be happy by removing things that threaten them. Mainly each other. I have one or two who are happy, but their struggles are around staying that way. I'd feel it would be boring otherwise.

A very fun question!

Depends on the story. I have a few ideas where I know I've set up the MC to be very unhappy. They lead tragic lives, and despite a great deal of striving, they don't get as many rewards as they deserve. They have their happy moments, but I wouldn't want to be them!

In my current WIP, I would say the MC is fairly happy. He's a very up and down kind of guy, so he can go from the highest of highs to the 'depths of despair' quite quickly! In the end, he realizes that what he thought he wanted isn't what would actually make him happy, and he finds happiness where he never expected it. He's fairly optimistic, and though he has a rougher time of it than he expects to, he ends up being fairly content. :)

Are we not as Sci Fi writers, more tempted to create cruel unjust tyrannical worlds with rebels fighting against the establishment?

Agree with everything said- including and especially never be a character in Jo's story! For my own sense, I want to try and show more focus on when the heroes succeed they actually smile a bit about it, obviously there's never room to relax in the evil tyrannical world... if my protagonist is a focused soldier who 'doesn't do partying', it might be interesting to show everyone else having a good time and the protagonist being a voluntary puritan.

As pH says, writing people not chess pieces- and I just wonder if we all obsess on the needed misery/darkness/gloom/anger/jealousy and maybe should give our characters a break or atleast explain why not!

The Real Pentagon

None of my characters would have chosen the circumstances they find themselves in. Various terrible things happen or have happened to them, and they're trying to deal with the consequences and do what they feel they have to do as best they can. They all experience moments of joy, tenderness, companionship, or fulfillment at one point, but on the whole, these are not happy people. Most of them will come out of it okay, but they won't like the way it went down. :D

None of my characters would have chosen the circumstances they find themselves in. Various terrible things happen or have happened to them, and they're trying to deal with the consequences and do what they feel they have to do as best they can. They all experience moments of joy, tenderness, companionship, or fulfillment at one point, but on the whole, these are not happy people. Most of them will come out of it okay, but they won't like the way it went down. :D

Hear hear! (characters...I promise it'll all work out alright in the end. Apart from those of you who i'm going to kill. Sorry about that...)