2.01: Fear The Walking Dead - Monster

ctg

weaver of the unseen
d4Pw2tC.jpg

Victor Strand, Nick Clark and Daniel Salazar

Our families flee a burning Los Angeles on Strand's yacht. Strand remains mysterious. Our group encounters danger at sea.

I don't think we could have seen more devastating departure from Los Angeles than seeing the city burning all over. I don't know if it was done purposely by the military, but we can certainly think they did similar kind of thing that we saw happen to Atlanta, when they fire-bombed the streets. Almost similarly to what people have seen happening in the BSG's Caprica.

It is hard to leave your home behind. To see it burning and hear the people crying. Although there wasn't much of that because for some reason Los Angeles population got wiped out. Maybe the people fled into countryside rather than towards sea, because there weren't that many boats or ships in the water. And Strand was right when he refused to help that little dinky packed with people.

We know that the living are the worst, but at this point of apocalyptic time line, not all have turned to survivors. To Rick and his posse that took awfully long time to accomplish. Strand and his people don't even know what they are capable doing. In fact, we know that they haven't really gone over the edge and understood dangers of this world. Alicia especially.

In her defence I have to say it's not easy to leave peaceful world behind, because she's acting like a normal human being. Her flaw is to not understand what people do when the world as-we-know-it ends. She literally grasped the portable scanner and talked her way out from the depression, while giving out all sorts of information to the counter party. Almost as if world hadn't ended.

But then again, I noticed that they haven't actually thought too much about safety over waters. Not even that they're in a horrible situation when the pirates show up to rape and pillage their precious cargo. In this case the sea worthy Abigail, that could do with mounted machine-guns, spikes to rebel floaters and so on. Those things might be hard to come by over the Pacific Ocean, but not too hard, as there's going to be awfully lot of stuff in the water. Not talking about the islands that might have been overran by zombies, and eventually left completely clean as the hunger moves zombies into the ocean.

A question at the end: why fish haven't started nibbling those corpses?

Travis did well by providing Alicia with a distraction. He is as naive as she about survivors being the biggest threat.
As one who knows better, Strand should have kept control of the radio.

As one who knows better, Strand should have kept control of the radio.

I'm still confident that he used to smuggle narcotics for living and that scanner is one he would have carried in his cabin, while the crew handled other business. Now has all radios and instruments at helm to give him options. No need to be carrying scanner with him. I would assume he has armed himself already. Maybe even with a suppressed weapons.

He was very shifty on saying that over the water sound carries mysterious. It carries great distances, especially in conditions they have. Where are all those ships? There should be evidence of huge cargo ships somewhere.

I don't know if it was done purposely by the military, but we can certainly think they did similar kind of thing that we saw happen to Atlanta, when they fire-bombed the streets.

Project Cobalt.

Project Cobalt

You mean that military withdraw order? Yeah, it fits the bill. But what I find surprising about that is the silence in the city and surrounding areas. Surely there should more booms as whole bloody city is burning. There must be gas, propane and other high pressure tanks that would make some noises, when they go off. And the smoke columns would be visible for long distances.

You mean that military withdraw order? Yeah, it fits the bill. But what I find surprising about that is the silence in the city and surrounding areas. Surely there should more booms as whole bloody city is burning. There must be gas, propane and other high pressure tanks that would make some noises, when they go off. And the smoke columns would be visible for long distances.

Yeah, the withdrwal would have been part of the contingency plan, no need to blow your own men up as well right? As for the city burning, it's difficult to know from our perspective, maybe they turned off / diverted the gas flow, siphoned off oil from forecourts etc. And being at night you couldn't really see the smoke too well. Or maybe they were targeting away from major 'boom' spots. I thought I heard some explosions so not that bothered tbh.

However, is it strange that I now want to keep calling Strand 'Shaft' after his change into the nautical gear?

And being at night you couldn't really see the smoke too well.

Who will stop LA or other places from burning to ground? a zombie fire-brigade? Those fires would continue burning for a while and it would be visible to anyone travelling by the coastline.

Daniel, can't help feeling he is the one with the best survival chances.

I would assume he would go mental, if something happened to Ofelia. One thing I haven't seen so far is: does he know how to dispose zombies in close quarters? He seems to prefer firearms.

I would assume he would go mental, if something happened to Ofelia. One thing I haven't seen so far is: does he know how to dispose zombies in close quarters? He seems to prefer firearms.

We know he's not squeamish though - I mean he can torture a soldier without worrying I imagine he can chop to the head a walking dead.

We know he's not squeamish though - I mean he can torture a soldier without worrying I imagine he can chop to the head a walking dead.

Yeah, he knows how to kill. But I think Daniel is as capable of doing harm to living beings dead or alive. He just don't prefer to get in close contact with the subjects in hand. In the same time, I think Strand is as capable of doing same things even though we haven't seen him actually capping anyone.

In the other end I'm so worried for Travis, as he still doesn't seem to grasp all things that one has to do in this apocalyptic world. He is such a pussy - pardon for my language, but pacifist has no place in this world.

Yeah, he knows how to kill. But I think Daniel is as capable of doing harm to living beings dead or alive. He just don't prefer to get in close contact with the subjects in hand.

Yeah I think Daniel is canny enough to know that it's less risk to engage from distance than doing it up close and personal. But I have no doubt that if he had to he would, and in the most efficient and brutal way as possible.

Reactions: ctg
[QUOTE="ctg, post: 2017841, member: 19249"In the other end I'm so worried for Travis, as he still doesn't seem to grasp all things that one has to do in this apocalyptic world. He is such a pussy - pardon for my language, but pacifist has no place in this world.[/QUOTE]Travis may be a pacifist at heart, but he was certainly able to overcome anger management when he beat the shishkabob out of soldier boy Andy near the end of the first season. He may be more adaptable than we think.

Travis may be a pacifist at heart, but he was certainly able to overcome anger management when he beat the shishkabob out of soldier boy Andy near the end of the first season. He may be more adaptable than we think.

What I mean is that this world is really, really ruthless. It's kill-or-get-slaughtered kind of world, where pacifism has no place because the dead makes it complicated. You can peaceful, put to a point, which after will almost always culminate with somebody dying. And if it's living, you have to deal with the end result or move out from the area.

By the way, your link is geoblocked.

Going for a swim in the ocean. Hmm...wtf! Not good. This crowd are starting to look like their cousins in TWD. They do some good, intelligent stuff but then turn into the village idiot in the next scene.

Going for a swim in the ocean. Hmm...wtf! Not good. This crowd are starting to look like their cousins in TWD. They do some good, intelligent stuff but then turn into the village idiot in the next scene.

That scene was stupid though, the Walker would have sunk... it takes co-ordination and more importantly a full set of lungs!

That scene was stupid though, the Walker would have sunk... it takes co-ordination and more importantly a full set of lungs!

I thought it showed Nick's character very well. He wasn't after a log book, but a quick fix to cure his addiction. So in that regards it was well done, and Travis was a fool on going after him. Those floaters were probably quite fresh kills, not rotten bulbous things that they get when they've been in water for quite a while.