James Patterson

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Finished Private LA, by James Patterson and Mark Sullivan.

I approached it with a huge reserve of cynicism - Patterson is labelled as the biggest-selling novelist in America. However, I've read that he effectively outlines the scenes, then gets someone else to expand that into actual chapters.

I presume he goes back and rewrites/edits as appropriate. Even still, it sounds like an industrial level of production that doesn't seem conducive to creativity - I count 90 adult fiction books released over the past 17 years with his name on them.

Surely they can't be any good?

And yet, I found myself blown away by the structure.

The protagonist chapters are all written in first person. Other POV character, not least the female lead and antagonist, are all written in close third.

And everything is about pace. The chapters are incredibly short and tight - 2-3 pages seemed the norm. If ever there threatens to be a pause in the narrative, the chapter finishes and the narrative continues in a new one.

Sure, I've seen this done elsewhere. But Patterson takes it to a completely new level. It's as though any kind of pause or slowing of pace is treated as a threat - the prose is immediately shut down or cut off.

The prose itself - namely the first person perspective - is full of American slang. There are a load of brand references - one of the kids doesn't have a cell phone, he has an iPhone 4S.This continues throughout. Presumably this is character voice in action.

There is also almost no description. A little for each character when you meet them, then the prose rushes on. And there are quite a lot of characters before the prose rushes on.

There's even less in each scene - a line if you're lucky. Even if the setting is completely different. There are no wistful paragraphs describing the different landscapes of American,as I'm used to in Lee Child's novels. In this book, we're in California, and if you don't know it - tough - fill in the blanks yourself.

There's a ton going on with Morgan, the protagonist, and his conflict is ongoing from all sides - a murder investigation, a kidnapping, concern for his workmates, his broken love life, his treacherous brother and trouble with mobsters. The PTSD that still haunts him from Afghanistan.

And that's before the plot even kicks in proper!

Pace, pace, pace. That's what this book is all about in the most extreme way I've ever seen. And driven not just by external events but also internal conflict.

That's what Patteron does well. He tries to grab your attention and hold onto it. He is the MTV of modern novels. Some people won't like that - personally I thought it worked well.

Enough that I'm sold on reading more - not least, starting the series from scratch.

I wasn't keen to pick up Private LA, but I'm glad I did. If nothing else, it's been an eye-opening experience on how to structure a novel for maximum pace.

In the meantime, here's an interesting piece from Mark Sullivan on the writing experience with Patterson: What I Learned from James Patterson

The criticism:

There were two big mysteries in this story, rather than one. For most of the book it worked pretty well - we already had the after effects of previous books feeding into everything, which all contributed to a breathless sense of pace as we jumped from one situation to the next.

But the serial murder plotline was solved by deus ex machina. The bad guys beat the cops at every turn. They were clever and resourceful. And then, at the end, their computer expert, who'd done so well, suddenly flagged his 's position through a casual act of greed. That in itself shouldn't have been too bad - after all, most of the others had already left. But then the protag just happened to stop in the same cafe as the serial murderers were in - resulting in recognition, a chase, and a shoot out.

All of which means the protag never solved that case - it was handed to him on a plate by the author.

Which can be forgiven to a degree - this book was so busy that it didn't succeed or fail on how that serial murder plot turned out. But finishing a thriller with a deus ex machina was surprisingly sloppy writing, in a book that was otherwise very tight.

Reminds me of a quote from Castle
Martha Rodgers: I almost forgot to tell you - James Patterson called, he's going to be a little late for the poker game tomorrow.
Richard Castle: He probably wants to use the time to write another book.

I'm jus' gonna' drop this here:

i-Qpb4nHr-2100x20000.jpg

It sounds dreadful, and only serves to confirm the opinion I drew of Patterson after starting one of his books some years ago. It was very poorly written garbage; one of the few books I've pitched into a bin within an hour of purchasing it. I bought it for a plane journey, and it didn't even make it into the plane (and I bought it at he airport). It made Dan Brown look like finely crafted art.

It sounds dreadful, and only serves to confirm the opinion I drew of Patterson after starting one of his books some years ago. It was very poorly written garbage; one of the few books I've pitched into a bin within an hour of purchasing it. I bought it for a plane journey, and it didn't even make it into the plane (and I bought it at he airport). It made Dan Brown look like finely crafted art.

Ouch. Worse than Brown. Remind me never to try one. Thanks.

I went to a talk by James Patterson, and picked up one of his books as a freebie. Can't recall which, but by the time I reached East Croydon (from Victoria) I gave up and left it on the train, for the next unsuspecting person. Deus ex machina in chapter one, two and three and the most unconvincing characters I'd read in ages...

It depends on which books you get. The Alex Cross books (at least the ones I've read) are well-written, good books. Anything that is by Patterson "and" someone else, utter claptrap. No way he writes the "and" books -- as witness the kids' stuff with his name on it. Garbage. Not at all the same writing as the Cross books. He's his own Stratemeyer syndicate, as far as I can tell.