A quick question about police procedure

Mirannan

I'm putting this in the writing section because it relates to my WIP. The question is: Would the British police normally offer a lift to close relatives of a crime victim?

The specific scenario is that a young woman has been attacked and is in hospital, and her mother and father are just being informed - in the middle of the night, if that makes a difference.

I'd just love some feedback. I don't like glaring and obvious mistakes in my work. :cautious:

I don't think they would necessarily 'offer'. I think it more realistic for them to give the details and maybe check whether they had a way of getting there. If the police are visiting the house and there's a car in the driveway, it would be odd for the police to make a point of offering.

The police will also be keen to take statements, there may be questions about if they'd been declared a missing person etc. It may be suggested that they go to the hospital, but they will want to speak with them whilst there. In other cases, the police would want to talk with the parents, even briefly before they had a chance to speak with the victim. Though this is very different in the case of A. Victim has been missing four days and is found near death, where the police will want to speak to the parents as to why they had left home. Option B. the victim was beaten up outside a night club and is seriously injured but there is nothing suspicious.

Police don't like being taken for granted and the attitude test unfortunately is a thing. Being used as a free taxi service is a real grievance for Police, but that doesn't mean if they are asked politely they would always say no.

In regard to glaring and obvious, I would find it odd if it was made out that it's standard procedure. But if in the course of the conversation it emerges that the parents had been drinking and cannot drive, or for whatever reason it comes up, I wouldn't dispute it. If you're concerned, I suggest that you make it more natural and there's a good reason for it.

Just my 2cents as a former SC in the Met, I have to say even going off personal experience it is very hard to answer. I'd be interested to see what Ralph say's if he has personal experience.

A quick answer, to a quick question would be: Yes, not a problem with this. Especially when one balances the needs of pacing a story too. Do you really want to get into the situation where you have your poor parents and cops discussing over the phone the relative merits of which form of public transport to take?

The real world answer to this is that I expect my officers to balance common sense, compassion, the wider police context, policy and then underpin all that with the law.

Common Sense / pragmatism: Are we going by the parents house anyway? Can the parents drive? Is public transport running at that time? If they have a car then makes sense to me that they use that.

Compassion: Are the parents in any state to drive after discovering their daughter has been attacked. Is it just the right thing to do? Is it a minor injury or major? Is it going to be the last time they're ever going to see their daughter? Has she suffered life changing or life threatening injuries? Has she been raped? Is the girl refusing to speak and just crying out for her parents and, frankly, we're not going to be able to help her / find out what's happened until her parents are there?

Wider Police Context: Are we down to one available car who are currently on their way to an axe wielding maniac without back up? Do we have lots of cops free (ha! now that would be fiction!) one of which can just take a run by the parents place and collect them.

Policy: Do we have a local policy in place that dictates what we should and shouldn't do? Maybe we have a policy stating we MUST go collect a family member if it's X offense.

Law: How old is the girl? If she's a child, before we can statement her, we need to have an appropriate adult present anyway (say a parent to aid understanding).

Very general response to this, it being nearly 2 am and all. Am always happy to beta read police scenes for folks so feel free to PM it over.

Notes

Insurance: One of the reasons, as odd as it may sound, why we don't provide a taxi service is that Police cars aren't insured to carry people other than for a policing purpose. The wider, more societal, issue is that once we start doing it, where do we stop? If we do it regularly, we'll find ourselves in the situation where come midnight, every unit in the country would suddenly turn into a free taxi and no police will be left to, well, police!

Life threatening / Life changing: One of the saddest duties we do is convey family members to a dying person in hospital (from accident or incident but not generally not natural causes). I've known this to happen from half way across the country (Blue lighting and each force's cars handed the parents over to the next force's car at the border to get them there in time). Quite rare. I've only known that to happen a few times in ten years. I'm not even sure on what criteria activates this 'service'. (though can check)

Family Liaison Officers: For murders and very serious assaults then a Family Liaison Officer can be assigned. One of their jobs is to basically look after the family. Part of that can be conveying them around. (An A&E department, for example may not be in the same hospital where the specific kind of surgery the victim needs can be done. The victim will, of course, be taken in an ambulance but the FLO may drive the rest of the family over)

Thanks, Ralph. If you don't mind, I have a further question. Would it be normal policy to send a police officer with news like this, or would such news normally be delivered by phone? If it helps, the attack is actually a rape but the victim has come out of it relatively OK (physically at least) for story-related reasons.

Policy is something set by an individual force as opposed to law which is laid down for us. Policy can also be broken, if justified (and one must be prepared to justify, if necessary to a misconduct panel that break). Law can't be. In other words, in your story, decide if it's a policy of that force, then decide if the cops are going to follow it.

In my view, once again, pragmatism would be balanced by compassion and the victims wishes.

Assuming the victim wants her parents to know.

What if the parents live an hour into the countryside? Would it be fair to delay the parents receiving the news for an hour just to stay in-line with a policy document? Would YOU expect that when you could have found out immediately by phone? Do we have a spare unit free for the two hour journey, there and back? But receiving that news would be awful for any parent, let alone on the end of a phone. But what if they live five minutes around the corner from a unit that is free? But what about if the control room have two disorders, a suicide, a missing child, a burglary-in-progress and Mr and Mrs Smith are complaining again their driveway being blocked by a neighbour again (Take a wild guess at what glamorous complaint about lack of service I've been dealing with tonight!) on their screens waiting to be resourced?

But what about the rape itself? We may have a crime scene that needs to be guarded. We have the investigation to do, CCTV to view, forensics to consider, witness statements to take, telecoms enquirers to conduct, searches, house-to-house etc etc. All needs to be resourced as well.

And so on and so forth.

The short answer to your question, in real life is... depends! To quote the comedy show, Fresh Meat, your cops will have to either sh*t or get off the toilet in other words, make a decision.

Because, lest we forget, there's a victim there of one of the most horrendous crimes imaginable and she probably just wants her mum and dad and there's a bad guy out there who needs to be found and arrested as quickly as possible while ensuring we get the best evidence so he gets a conviction at court.

I would also say as a writer though you can remember that fiction policing and real policing differ in many many ways. Even on those cops on cameras programs, I've thought 'Eh? What are they doing?' (not that I watch them as I can't think of much worse than coming home from a hard day on the coal face to then watch a show about mining!). Unless you're marketing this book as a true police procedural... just try and get it in the right ball park.

In summary, as a Police officer would your described scenario 'throw me out the book?'

Nope.

Unless you're marketing this book as a true police procedural... just try and get it in the right ball park.
Someone mentioned recently that all those 1930s (originally) and earlier amateur detectives today would be absolutely unrealistic, they'd never be allowed at the crime scene.

So it depends on how contemporaneously the story is set. Or not. CSI and similar etc are fantasy Policing?

A few years ago when the police informed my grandfather about the death of my grandmother, they drove him to my mother's so she could take care of the trip to the hospital.