URGENT - Kindle update before 22 March

Overread

Searching for a flower
Amazon.co.uk Help: Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
Old Kindles will be disconnected from the internet unless you update by Tuesday

Helpfully they didn't send out an email - nor plaster this on their front page for people to notice ergo its got to only 2 days away and I only found this out because someone else linked me to it.

The second link gives a nice breakdown of the versions that need to update (basically anything pre 2012) and furthermore links to an article that tells you how to download manually if you miss the deadline window.

So update your Kindle now if you haven't - if you can't connect to the internet/wi-fi and its after March 22nd then you will have to follow the link in the second link above to update your Kindle manually using a USB cable to your computer.

Mine updated recently, merely by opening it. There are things about he new version I don't like, but overall, there's not much difference.

This is the first I've heard of this, so thanks for posting.

I imagine Amazon will have lots of irritated customers* if, as suspected, many of them lose online capabilities to browse and buy straight from their Kindles.

*Of course, if being annoyed doesn't alter consumer behaviour, it doesn't really matter.

Thanks for the heads-up, OR. :)

What the article doesn't say is when the update was originally rolled out. To the best of my knowledge**, it was being rolled out in early January 2016 at the very latest.

** - To save my battery, I usually keep my Kindle in Aeroplane mode, only switching on the Wi-Fi when purchasing a book. The last time I did this was on the 3rd of January, to buy Uncommon Purpose, by P J Strebor. (The confirmation email arrived on "Sun 03/01/2016 03:26".) When I followed the link in the article, I discovered that the latest update for my Kindle is 4.1.3 (2692310002), which happens to be what my Kindle is running.

I received an email about this - then shortly after, another one saying that I was fine and to ignore the previous email. However, I have both an old Kindle e-reader and a far more recent Fire tablet.

Have checked and synced, just in case. :)

Hmm. I didn't receive anything about this... well, I do get Amazon/Kindle mail occasionally, but unless something leaps out in the title I don't often read it. Maybe it was lurking in a blandly entitled e-mail.

I get a lot of mail from Amazon, to the extent that if I did get an email about an update, it would be too much hassle to find it by hand** (unless I knew the approximate date it might have been sent). I certainly don't recall getting one.

** - Searching for "update" in my email's 'from Amazon' folder brought up four missives about "promotional credit", all received in 2014.

Note that you will be able to update after the 22nd, but that it'll be harder. (Essentially, you'll have to download the firmware update to your PC, then transfer it to the kindle over a USB connection).

I've had two, maybe three e-mails about this, so I'd definitely check your spam folder!
(Still haven't done it though, haha. I really need to, but I mostly use my Nook Glowlight these days so I'll need to find my old Kindle Keyboard first.)

It's no big deal as a USB firmware update is really easy.
Also so as to have a backup and not "leak" reading stats I download to PC when buying from Amazon, then USB transfer.

I doubt there will be an update for my Kindle DXG, which has "free" 3G and no WiFi. None of my family use their Kindles on WiFi, runs battery down much faster. [EDIT] It seems there may be an update for my DXG, contrary to links on other sites.
No email though and I check my Abuse, Trash and Junk folders daily.

[EDIT 2]
Also I DON'T want Amazon's stupid Cloud service. If you have more than one Kindle device/reader it messes up "collections".

It seems there may be an update for my DXG
No update for DXG, but the PC application (installed recently) claims to be "outdated" and I should "update", yet the built in update does nothing. It seems one is expected to go and manually download a newer version.

Have they lost the plot?

Nothing on the Amazon site, email, My Kindle or Sync.

This is nonsense: It's NOT arduous, and unless you have no PC access, far better to ALWAYS use USB!
It's not the end of the world if you don't manage to update it by the deadline - it just means you'll have to go through the comparatively arduous process of downloading the update from Amazon's website to a PC and installing it to the Kindle via USB.

Your Kindle could get disconnected if you don't install this update

To reiterate: There is NO urgency AT ALL!
If there is a newer firmware, it's always EASY to download and copy to the Kindle. I've done it in the past for five kindles. Unless you have no PC/Laptop (Mac OS, Windows, Linux all work fine.)

Thanks for the links Overread! As far as I can tell, my old Kindle Keyboard is up to date on software. I vaguely recall something coming through a while back, and the version is definitely the one cited on the link. :)

But then, I usually leave my wifi on as I'm always preordering stuff and forgetting about it. :D

It's nothing significant and many older models may already have sufficiently updated software:
Amazon Now Demanding That You Update Your (Very Old) Kindle | The Digital Reader
People unpacked the update and figured out it is just updating the list of root certificates, probably because they are replacing the certificates on the servers the kindle talks to on the date in question.
I did update my Kindle DXG once since I got it in October 2013, so it may actually be upto date.

Despite the scaremongering headlines this is no big deal. If you have no PC/Mac/Netbook etc for USB, even some shops (that sell kindles) have been known to connect Kindle to USB to register it for a customer. Even some tablets can update a Kindle if they can read external USB storage and allow downloads. Unlike Apple Things no special software (iTunes) is needed. A kindle works as USB memory on ANY OS or gadget that allows external USB storage.

End note:
ALWAYS make a copy of your Kindle or Kobo documents to PC/Laptop/Netbook/Tablet BEFORE
1) Updating
2) Deregistering or changing user account.

Kobo/Amazon only automatically "reload" so called "Cloud" content. Never rely on anyone's cloud, make your own copies. I save backups of every book i download, free Gutenberg, DRM free Createspace or Ticketyboo, archive.org, my own works or bought books from Amazon (not all AZW have DRM either, it's a publisher choice).

Edit:
Found this Amazon.com Help: Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers

So actually the "needed" updates have been out for some Kindles for over a year!

Many people may have updated long ago. Don't forget to turn off WiFi and/or 3G Wireless as it DRAMATICALLY cuts battery running time and total battery life.

Last edited:
Followed Ray's link and just manually updated my oldest kindle with no problem at all. :)