A man with a modified skeleton

Syl3nc3r

Hi,

I'm looking for a book that I can vaguely remember, it's about a man who had some sort of accident and broke all his bones, so his whole skeletal feature was biologically engineered to become unbreakable (not terminator or wolverine's adamantium) by some alien or a council of aliens. he's some kind of space pilot.

quite old, I kinda read it during my military college days, back in 94-95, any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Hmm, it might, might, be Mutineer's Moon, by David Webber. Just a thought. And welcome to Chrons.

I've no idea, I'm afraid, but I'll move this over to Book Search which is where we cage a good many of our denizens who are excellent at identifying books from the smallest of clues.

And whether we can help you with this one or not, do stick around and see what else we're talking about in Books and beyond!

This could possibly be the 'Last Legionary' series by Douglas Hill (Galactic Warlord, Deathwing over Veynaa, Day of the Starwind, and Planet of the Warlord). The main character in that, having survived an attack that destroyed his entire planet and people, suffers radiation sickness that has caused irreversible changes to his bones. He is picked up by a secret group of genius scientists, hidden on an asteroid, who replace his terminally diseased bones by an unbreakable alloy, thereby saving his life and giving him the highly useful side-effect of being unable to suffer fractures. The scientists have also found out that the attack came from an evil warlord who plans to wreck the galaxy's civilisation with one war after another in order to rule over the ruins, so Keill Randor (the main character) heads out with an alien bird called Glr to find and defeat this evil warlord and save the galaxy.

(Yeah, it's clichéd, but I still loved it as a kid. Anyone else here remember that one?)

Anyway, that's not exactly how you described it, but allowing for the effects of >20 yrs worth of memory fading it could plausibly be the one - certainly the 'replaced unbreakable skeleton' bit of the plot is there. Sound familiar at all?

There was another story about a man with an enhanced skeleton-- only he was a soldier-- one of a legion who'd had all or part of his skeleton augmented or replaced. There was a computer as part of the changes as well.

SPOILERS FOLLOW

When they were released from service, or almost released, there was fear that they could never merge quietly back into society, so there was some period of adjustment in a small town or village (I don't remember if it was on his home planet or not).

In the village, there was a gang-- punks, motorcycle toughs, that type-- who were in control. Our Hero ends up in a showdown with them, and discovers that his computer and enhancements were more automatic than he thought-- and he ends up winning the battle. Especially when he falls on his back, raises his leg, and the howitzer built into his leg fires through his heel and takes them out.

I'm not sure how it ends up, but the howitzer is a definite memory!

--Paul E Musselman

Not a howitzer - anti-armor laser. You're thinking of Cobra by Timothy Zahn. They were built to be guerilla warriors on worlds conquered by the alien Troft. The computer controlling their cybernetics was designed to be unhackable/unchangeable so they couldn't be captured and reprogrammed.

This could possibly be the 'Last Legionary' series by Douglas Hill (Galactic Warlord, Deathwing over Veynaa, Day of the Starwind, and Planet of the Warlord). The main character in that, having survived an attack that destroyed his entire planet and people, suffers radiation sickness that has caused irreversible changes to his bones. He is picked up by a secret group of genius scientists, hidden on an asteroid, who replace his terminally diseased bones by an unbreakable alloy, thereby saving his life and giving him the highly useful side-effect of being unable to suffer fractures. The scientists have also found out that the attack came from an evil warlord who plans to wreck the galaxy's civilisation with one war after another in order to rule over the ruins, so Keill Randor (the main character) heads out with an alien bird called Glr to find and defeat this evil warlord and save the galaxy.

(Yeah, it's clichéd, but I still loved it as a kid. Anyone else here remember that one?)

Anyway, that's not exactly how you described it, but allowing for the effects of >20 yrs worth of memory fading it could plausibly be the one - certainly the 'replaced unbreakable skeleton' bit of the plot is there. Sound familiar at all?

Yes.. yes.. this might be it... although it's 5 series about it... But I'm keeping my options open to other inputs. Thank you!

I've no idea, I'm afraid, but I'll move this over to Book Search which is where we cage a good many of our denizens who are excellent at identifying books from the smallest of clues.

And whether we can help you with this one or not, do stick around and see what else we're talking about in Books and beyond!
Thank you kind sir.

Hi,

Bit off target (I say that a lot, don't I?!) but - "The Reassembled Man" by Kastle. Bit of a sap type main character chosen by aliens to record daily earth life. But they paid him for it by giving him enhanced strength, durability, intelligence and a fascination ability. Not sure about the skeleton.

Cheers, Greg.

Back