After SuperHeroes , What Do You Think Will be the Next Big Thing in The Movies?

View attachment 110851

Superheroes are just a continuation of cinema of spectacle. Same as Intolerance, or Ben Hur or Jason and the Argonauts etc. etc.

Cinema has to have an element of spectacle to get people to leave their homes and go to a cinema. It has to be an experience. Your mid budget dramas are all on streaming services.

The future of cinema is stuff like this:

AI generated spectacle and strangeness that will play on the HUGE screen. Imagine a proper fantasy movie with those kind of visuals. I can imagine JJ Abram's Krull is going to use this technology for sure.

And , historical epics might be making a comeback :)

It's not that long ago that we would ask friends what movie they had gone/were going to see at the cinema. Now it's almost exclusively what box set/streaming series we are watching next.

It's also not that long ago that actors would start on tvc then be 'promoted' to movies, never (or very rarely) to be seen on tv again. Now it feels that the 'big name' stars are on tv series far more than they are in the big screen.

I do wonder where cinema is going, and how streaming services seem to have their pulse on what viewers want far more than movie makers do.

With 100+ years of movies, many of which have not been screened in cinemas within the lifetimes of most people, and which would be unknown to many younger cinema goers. I do think that there is an opening for cinemas to show some of the 'great' pictures - especially those less well known - an market them in such a way as to attract a younger audience. Because even if they may have seen them on tv, you haven't watched Alien/Jaws/Close Encounters/Star Wars/Terminator until you've seen it in the cinema.

But I suspect that this won't happen, and as soon as the likes of Amazon start to film the next Bond movie as a Prime exclusive, the writing will truly be on the wall for these once-great institutions. Which will be a shame.

It's not that long ago that we would ask friends what movie they had gone/were going to see at the cinema. Now it's almost exclusively what box set/streaming series we are watching next.

It's also not that long ago that actors would start on tvc then be 'promoted' to movies, never (or very rarely) to be seen on tv again. Now it feels that the 'big name' stars are on tv series far more than they are in the big screen.

I do wonder where cinema is going, and how streaming services seem to have their pulse on what viewers want far more than movie makers do.

With 100+ years of movies, many of which have not been screened in cinemas within the lifetimes of most people, and which would be unknown to many younger cinema goers. I do think that there is an opening for cinemas to show some of the 'great' pictures - especially those less well known - an market them in such a way as to attract a younger audience. Because even if they may have seen them on tv, you haven't watched Alien/Jaws/Close Encounters/Star Wars/Terminator until you've seen it in the cinema.

But I suspect that this won't happen, and as soon as the likes of Amazon start to film the next Bond movie as a Prime exclusive, the writing will truly be on the wall for these once-great institutions. Which will be a shame.

Perhaps Amazon might do a James Bond Television series ?

Perhaps Amazon might do a James Bond Television series ?
I think Apple TV have a James Bond themed reality show, The Race To James Bond or something like that..

I would really like a new Conan The Barbarian film. :(

Marvel Studios Has Its Lowest Opening Day Ever with “The Marvels,” Breaking a Record It Didn’t Want

by Roger Friedman - November 11, 2023 11:26 am

Last night, Marvel Studios broke a record. It was one they didn’t want.

“The Marvels” opened to around $14.5 million, and had the lowest Thurs-Fri opening ever for a Disney-Marvel release with $21.3 million. (In 2008, “The Incredible Hulk” opened to $200K less, but it was at Universal and pre- the Disney MCU run.)

If the superhero sequel makes $50 million for the weekend, they’ll be lucky.

It’s an ironic turn of events since “Captain Marvel,” its predecessor, was the highest grossing female superhero action film.

But everything has gone wrong here, it seems, from the idea to the execution.

What’s really upsetting for Disney-Marvel is that “The Marvels” cost $200 million. It will never break even but it will lose a lot of money.

No one can blame star Brie Larson. The strike prevented her from doing any publicity until late this week. She appeared on the Tonight show and turned up at a theater last night to meet fans.

Disney should have held “The Marvels” until it could be properly promoted. Even if it wasn’t the best Marvel Universe film ever, it wouldn’t have bombed so precipitously.

Now Disney will get to feel the way DC/Warner’s has so many times. And that’s all, folks!

www.showbiz411.com/2023/11/11/marvel-studios-has-its-lowest-opening-day-ever-with-the-marvels-breaking-a-record-it-didnt-want

Marvel Studios Has Its Lowest Opening Day Ever with “The Marvels,” Breaking a Record It Didn’t Want

by Roger Friedman - November 11, 2023 11:26 am

Last night, Marvel Studios broke a record. It was one they didn’t want.

“The Marvels” opened to around $14.5 million, and had the lowest Thurs-Fri opening ever for a Disney-Marvel release with $21.3 million. (In 2008, “The Incredible Hulk” opened to $200K less, but it was at Universal and pre- the Disney MCU run.)

If the superhero sequel makes $50 million for the weekend, they’ll be lucky.

It’s an ironic turn of events since “Captain Marvel,” its predecessor, was the highest grossing female superhero action film.

But everything has gone wrong here, it seems, from the idea to the execution.

What’s really upsetting for Disney-Marvel is that “The Marvels” cost $200 million. It will never break even but it will lose a lot of money.

No one can blame star Brie Larson. The strike prevented her from doing any publicity until late this week. She appeared on the Tonight show and turned up at a theater last night to meet fans.

Disney should have held “The Marvels” until it could be properly promoted. Even if it wasn’t the best Marvel Universe film ever, it wouldn’t have bombed so precipitously.

Now Disney will get to feel the way DC/Warner’s has so many times. And that’s all, folks!

www.showbiz411.com/2023/11/11/marvel-studios-has-its-lowest-opening-day-ever-with-the-marvels-breaking-a-record-it-didnt-want
The Trailer for the Marvel's did impress me . But for all I know it might be a good film

But one the biggest problems is the writing or lack thereof.

Westerns ruled the movie world and tlevsion world for decades . and then they faded. They have made a comeback but not the previous level . In the case of Superior genre, it too is tarring to fade , especially after Endgame .

Last edited:
We may soon find out what the next big thing will be. The Marvels is being considered a box office bomb for a slated blockbuster.

There appears to be a rise in biopics at the moment, i can also see a rise in movies aimed at the female end of the population.

There appears to be a rise in biopics at the moment, i can also see a rise in movies aimed at the female end of the population.

Oppenheimer certainly did big box office.

We may soon find out what the next big thing will be. The Marvels is being considered a box office bomb for a slated blockbuster.

And as of right now. it's not faring all that well at the box office.

They are called flop busters when they fail, big budget movies banking on the success of previous movies. This movie is different at 15 million dollar cost, subtitles, ordinary person without super powers, and a winning monster who is more than a monster.

Godzilla Minus One
"The monster movie is taking the US by storm, with stellar reviews and box office, after reportedly being made for a mere $15m. Does it show where Hollywood is going wrong, asks Caryn James."

Everyone knows Godzilla.
It is like Barbie.
It is a Toho franchise. 37th film in the series. I haven't seen any of the Toho films since Godzilla 85.

What's interesting is that it looks like the entire cast and crew is ethnically Japanese. It is totally not diverse. It is the exact opposite.

One could say the fact that it is the 37th film and it does well is remarkable but not really when it is so well-known and there is no competition.

Replacing Hollywood executives with Japanese ones would probably be a good idea though.

Something new for the movie companies to milk dry.:D

What's interesting is that it looks like the entire cast and crew is ethnically Japanese. It is totally not diverse. It is the exact opposite.
Japan in general very resistant to diversity. Maybe anime can be called an exception to that.