After SuperHeroes , What Do You Think Will be the Next Big Thing in The Movies?

I would love a Sinbad! As long as it doesn't turn out like Clash of the Kittens.

The director of Goosebumps just got the gig for the next D&D movie...

Sinbad done right could be a great film franchise.:)

...the next D&D movie...

fhu4fz.jpg

and I'm saying that as a D&D fan... the three 'movies' were an abomination, I just shudder to think what else they can ruin

Well, they just made Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, which I think was a graphic novel first, and so was played seriously rather than as a spoof (I have only seen the trailer) so, thinking creatively...

The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha, and Werewolves.
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and his sentient AI.
Anna Karenina and the being of pure Energy.
The Great Gatsby and his army of Clones.
War and Peace and post-apocalyptic world government.

Well, they just made Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, which I think was a graphic novel first, and so was played seriously rather than as a spoof (I have only seen the trailer) so, thinking creatively...

The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha, and Werewolves.
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and his sentient AI.
Anna Karenina and the being of pure Energy.
The Great Gatsby and his army of Clones.
War and Peace and post-apocalyptic world government.

They could do an adaption of War of the Worlds with Zombies. There is such book , Ive seen it.:)

Doctor Zhivago: The Last American Hero
The Grapes of Wrath Part 3: Revenge of the Okie
Lolita and Alien spidermen- a Scify channel exclusive!
A Passage to India; now with Graboids- a Scify channel exclusive!

I'd like to see some better scripts get into fantasy. I want it to mature from quick fire action flicks and get some substance to it.
I believe the Kingkiller books are going to be adapted into movie, tv, and get a video game, which sounds a bit much, and I'm not sure how they're exactly going to pull it off. But apparently it's in talks and might be a thing. Given that those books are not focused on grand scale battles, it would be interesting to watch how they pull it off. The drama and conflict points aren't what a general audience expects of Fantasy, but maybe that's changed with Game of Thrones. Shannara has been out since January on MTV as a show, but I've not watched that. Of course, Game of Thrones is considerably responsible for this. Everyone wants to have their own Game of Thrones, meaning people making grimdark fantasy have a decent chance of having their work selected for adaptation. There's also a YA fantasy called 'An Ember in the Ashes' which might be getting a movie too, so young-adult might shift from dystopia/sci-fi movies into the fantastical... MAYBE. And we all know YA loves to milk itself and churn out trite.

Speaking of sci-fi, it looks like anything related to AI is a big thing right now, especially because that's what's trending in technology at the moment. Everyone's talking about AI and what the ramifications will be, which is probably why they're making more new Terminator films. I also see the space operas coming back to follow in the trail of the hugely successful Star Wars film. I mean, Star Wars alone is going to give you space operas every single year, so that's basically covered anyway.

I'm not sure what else might get made... I guess alien invasions might become a thing again. I'd like to see some more fantasy, because besides LOTR there's not been any well-known epic fantasy movies. I mean, they made that movie 'Seventh Son' which was literally one of the worst movies I've ever watched. It was ridiculously cliché, and I don't understand why in this day and age they would make that rather than something more modern that fits the standards an audience expects. Maybe one day when Fantasy has become so edgy it cuts itself, we can reminisce about the old, farm boy classics, but until then, we need films that show Fantasy can be more than that.

Yeah, that's essentially my thoughts.

I am a bit tired of super hero movies. And it begins to annoy me that they are considered Science Fiction Movies. In the last 8 to 10 years we have too many and they dry resources for other types of “Science fiction”. Besides I think that Super heroes are more an US trend than a European one. In Fiction, in Europe we usually just have heroes or anti-heroes.

As for new trends… I would like to see more Historical/Mythological epics… like we had in the 1950’s and 1960’s or more recently with Gladiator, Alexander or Troy… but for other timelines and not just the Ancient period. Today I still like to see: 55 days in Peking, Zulu Dawn, Zulu, Khartoum, Christopher Columbus: The Discovery… and many others…

I rather suspect that with the success of GoT the studios are eagerly awaiting the box office for Warcraft and see if GoT has (in conjunction with LOTR) softened people up for the 'next big thing'... fantasy

I rather suspect that with the success of GoT the studios are eagerly awaiting the box office for Warcraft and see if GoT has (in conjunction with LOTR) softened people up for the 'next big thing'... fantasy

Fantasy seems to never get old.:)

Regarding both superheroes and fantasy, which (shock, horror, <faints>) I'm not the greatest fan of, my favourite fantasy film would be Guillermo del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth. Critically acclaimed, box office success, cult following, three Oscars won, and yet where are all the low-budget copies, sequels and films in the same style? Is it because it was Spanish? Hellboy is a much greater commercial success because it is a kind of superhero film, and that's what the mass audience wants. And del Toro then goes on to make something as puerile as Pacific Rim! I guess that when you reach the pinnacle, the only way is down.

It gets hard to dumb down much further than comic books for adults, but I bet they can do it. )
I'm waiting to see how the next wave of SF goes, Aliens, etc.
The worst movies of all, in my somewhat jaded opinion, are biographies of famous people, a virtual playground of fantasy and lies in most cases, from what I can see. I'd like to see a remake of King Kong, where the ape wins.

It gets hard to dumb down much further than comic books for adults, but I bet they can do it.

a little unfair TBH - take Cap'n A for example a childish film or a thought provoker about how much power the government should have and be allowed to exercise over its citizens?

Superhero films are popular now but once they fade front he scene what do you think will take their place? What do you think will be the next popular movie trend? :)

I can't really predict these things because the nature of pop culture changes so much and it is influenced by a lot of outside factors including technology which is vastly changing the landscape for this sort of thing. However Marvel will go strong until about 2030 because by then the timeline just becomes one big literal blur regarding all the time travel and mystical things that happens.

I am not so sure how well star wars will do. I am very nervous about the franchise. Star Wars VII was fun, nostalgia and not much else. Disney's real test with Star Wars will come with Rouge One, and depending on how well that does, they can have unlimited resources for stories. So that is probably as close to the next big thing as you can predict surely right now. Rouge One success = tons of star wars films and possible phases in the star wars universe. Rouge One Failure = up to Star Wars IX and possibly a few more flicks but that's it. There will always be that fan base that loves the original series and nothing else! Which hurts it.

There seems to be a market for top notch directors who want to world-build. That means that Avatar and Warcraft are here to stay.
The Fast and Furious franchise does not seem to be dying out anytime soon and has seemed to actually ramp up production after one of the real death's of one of the main actors so that franchise will be here to stay for years to come.
Cult Classic remakes are here to stay. Sorry but that's the truth. Universal has invested deep into the monster movie business
I think the Lego Movie started a new fun kooky movie trend which we saw with Angry Birds (although not very good) this year and Tetris Movie as well as an Emoji movie in development...

I think that shared universes are going to be huge for awhile in hollywood even after Marvel, Star Wars, Monsters et al. There could come a point in time where you go to the theater and everybody is familiar with at least one character in each movie that is showing at any given time! Mostly because the origin stories have already been made into movies. Though I could even be talking about the present day, at certain times of the year, namely Christmas and summer.

That being said, the shared universe concept combined with all the top talent converging onto those worlds, leaves little room for big hit surprises. This is just the beginning of Shared Universes and with Television now getting into the mix, there is no stopping this train for the next twenty-five years or so. It's safe and makes money and that's good enough for any business model.

Warcraft hasn't done well with the critics and it s box office could be better. I doubt this one will be the beginning of a new franchise .

Warcraft hasn't done well with the critics and it s box office could be better. I doubt this one will be the beginning of a new franchise .
But it is HUGE Overseas particularly SE Asia and they are becoming a really powerful voice in Hollywood.

But it is HUGE Overseas particularly SE Asia and they are becoming a really powerful voice in Hollywood.

It's doing well overseas? Oh in that event it might garner a sequel or two. :)

Warcraft is doing well it has already made enough money to recoup its budget. Most people I know who have seen the movie, along with myself, have enjoyed it.

I would remember superheroes didn't really catch on for several decades before the 1989 batman. Then comics had a number of flops before batman 2005. I think video games have gotten much better with their world building. I think that what they need to do to make video game based movies. Comics aren't close to done yet. When they are though I think we will have enough trial and error with the video game world to do well made video game based movies.

I think the coming years are going to be very interesting.