After SuperHeroes , What Do You Think Will be the Next Big Thing in The Movies?

Well ignoring what might well happen here's what I'd like to see happen

Serious fantasy films and some "arny" style action flicks.

At present fantasy is sitting in two camps; one is films for kids and the other is that its kind of replaced action flicks with the typical wartime action flick now being far more serious. I'd like to see almost a return to the 80-90s kind of era where we have Arny style war films being the action flicks and seeing fantasy return to being a little more serious (even if when we look back many of those films seem less serious by todays' standards).

I'd really love to see some other serious fantasy films other then Lord of the Rings. We've got the technology now (although I'd argue animation always had it but the West keeps lumping animation in for kids...) so I'd like to see some better scripts get into fantasy. I want it to mature from quick fire action flicks and get some substance to it.

Sadly that's mostly a pipe dream until Hollywood resolves its writing problems

I'd really love to see some other serious fantasy films other then Lord of the Rings. We've got the technology now (although I'd argue animation always had it but the West keeps lumping animation in for kids...) so I'd like to see some better scripts get into fantasy. I want it to mature from quick fire action flicks and get some substance to it.

I just had an terrible thought... If Peter Jackson did Dune!

How many films would the original book alone run to? Then once he started on the sequels...

How many films would the original book alone run to? Then once he started on the sequels...
How about Peter Jackson's Wheel of Time? At least a decades worth of films there.

The studio system will stagnate, pumping their money into Super Heroes and Space Operas, pulling highly regarded directors and other talent from the pool to claim their pay check episode.

Then hopefully we'll see an indie renaissance, something like the early seventies. They'd need to be cheap, but kids are making special affects in their bed-room these days and you can shoot a film on your phone so as long as technology keeps racing toward the singularity we should have this.

Peter Jackson, fore-mentioned: believes that the next big jump in cinema will be the merger of computer games and film - the interactive play where you pick the character you're going to play and enjoy the show from their POV. That's not a genre of course, but an interesting view none the less.

LotR is the only main stream Fantasy film series I can think of and if they'd not done the Hobbit, I'd say it was a shoe in now the technology allows more directors to produce fantasy. But since we've Science Fiction, which is an extension of the Super Hero genre (the other way around if you're not a current movie producer), that is what I think we'll be watching for the next ten to fifteen years.

We'll see more computer game cross overs. Serious ones, no more Super Mario Brothers. Assassin's Creed is set to be a winner, Activision have set up/setting up a film production arm to make Call of Duty - will wait an see on that, but those games are if nothing else - cinematic.

If Peter Jackson did Dune, it would be at least 18 hours long.

I'd like to see David Fincher do Dune.
Speilberg to do Many Coloured Land.
Chris Nolan to do a Bond Movie worth watching again.
And Tarantino do a Disney Movie.

Balloo voiced by John Travolta, Bageera voiced by Sam L. Jackson - the script writes itself!

I think Snow White is the perfect engine for him.

A princess on the run in Mexico, a group of tenacious if not short Mexican miners. Dressed in Sombreros and Bandoleers... Wait, this may be better for Robert Rodriguez...

Well, the start of Bambi is very Tarantino already.

However, his remake of The Jungle Book wouldn't leave any wild animals left standing.

This idea could be a whole new thread on it's own!

I will stop here - or there will be a thread intervention.

Balloo voiced by John Travolta, Bageera voiced by Sam L. Jackson - the script writes itself!

I think Snow White is the perfect engine for him.

A princess on the run in Mexico, a group of tenacious if not short Mexican miners. Dressed in Sombreros and Bandoleers... Wait, this may be better for Robert Rodriguez...

I will stop here - or there will be a thread intervention.

Snow Fiction ?:whistle:

Haha - but we all know it will end with Pulp White... :sick:

But to get back on track before someone shouts at me (I'll start a new thread of what if QT made...) - I also watched Screamers a couple of days ago. Surprisingly not as bad as thought it was going to be. Well at least Peter Weller's performance anyway.

Tarantino, whilst a big fan of bloody films, I think is one of the few good directors left. Certainly when he builds a team around him he uses a lot of classic movie telling methods and he's also good at telling a visual story without words or action. In his take on Django when they scroll through the house of the dog handlers/escaped slave catchers, he introduces a series of characters to us and even builds mystery around one or two - all that is done with very little spoke dialogue.

It's a scene very much like the spaghetti westerns where you have to WATCH the film rather than just stare at it or listen to it.

He's a quirky guy; but part of me would like to see him do something less bloody just to see what he produces.

Tarantino, whilst a big fan of bloody films, I think is one of the few good directors left. Certainly when he builds a team around him he uses a lot of classic movie telling methods and he's also good at telling a visual story without words or action. In his take on Django when they scroll through the house of the dog handlers/escaped slave catchers, he introduces a series of characters to us and even builds mystery around one or two - all that is done with very little spoke dialogue.

It's a scene very much like the spaghetti westerns where you have to WATCH the film rather than just stare at it or listen to it.

He's a quirky guy; but part of me would like to see him do something less bloody just to see what he produces.

I just can't see him ever doing a nice romantic comedy that doesn't involve the use of guns and martial arts.:whistle:

I'm a fan. Other than Death Proof, I've enjoyed every one. He's going to do one more western, so he says. Then maybe another Kill Bill, but he keeps saying he's going to quit soon, wanting to write and critique etc.

Digital has a large part to play, he's fanatical about film: sleepwalks film literacy, as Overread says - you have to watch his films rather than stare and listen to them. They are not television, as most movies are now. There's so much going on at any one moment and he never wastes a shot. He doesn't do deleted scenes for that reason, what he films is what's in the film. That's his word of course, but I for one believe it.

He's one of the greatest and watching Hollywood Reporter's round table with Ridley Scott, I got the feeling he want's to be seen on that level. He won't, not until he's dead. Then everyone, including his critics will turn around and say he was one of the greats. The closest to romance would have to be True Romance and yes, lots of guns and swearing and a young, stoned couch potato: Brad Pitt.

He won the Palm D'or for Pulp Fiction and lost the Oscar to Forrest Gump. Gump had some awesome special affects and in itself a very good film, but Fiction is a masterpiece of cinema. Affects all in camera, a clever story, a break from conventional 3 act structure, it's got dancing, romance, fighting, even a gimp. What else could you ask for?

And every actor/actress he pulls from the discard pile gets a new lease of life. Because he picks his cast just as well as he picks his soundtracks..

Rambling now... must stop.

I'm a fan. Other than Death Proof, I've enjoyed every one. He's going to do one more western, so he says. Then maybe another Kill Bill, but he keeps saying he's going to quit soon, wanting to write and critique etc.

Digital has a large part to play, he's fanatical about film: sleepwalks film literacy, as Overread says - you have to watch his films rather than stare and listen to them. They are not television, as most movies are now. There's so much going on at any one moment and he never wastes a shot. He doesn't do deleted scenes for that reason, what he films is what's in the film. That's his word of course, but I for one believe it.

He's one of the greatest and watching Hollywood Reporter's round table with Ridley Scott, I got the feeling he want's to be seen on that level. He won't, not until he's dead. Then everyone, including his critics will turn around and say he was one of the greats. The closest to romance would have to be True Romance and yes, lots of guns and swearing and a young, stoned couch potato: Brad Pitt.

He won the Palm D'or for Pulp Fiction and lost the Oscar to Forrest Gump. Gump had some awesome special affects and in itself a very good film, but Fiction is a masterpiece of cinema. Affects all in camera, a clever story, a break from conventional 3 act structure, it's got dancing, romance, fighting, even a gimp. What else could you ask for?

And every actor/actress he pulls from the discard pile gets a new lease of life. Because he picks his cast just as well as he picks his soundtracks..

Rambling now... must stop.

Or he'll be forgotten .

darth-vader-nooooo.jpg

The reason I say this is because you can be famous one day and not even a memory the next. A good example of this is Hugh Herbert who was a comedian and very famous and in his day, a household name. After he died, he quickly faded way . Now the only time you see him is as parodied in warner brothers cartoons.

Alien Invasion.

Personally, I'd like Hollywood to go back to good old fashioned post apocalyptic movies.

Personally, I'd like Hollywood to go back to good old fashioned post apocalyptic movies.
Well, you just had Mad Max: Fury Road and it didn't do too badly at the box office, so maybe they will. However, there are a lot of books they could film with much deeper ideas and bigger canvases than the rather superficial motorbike leather gangs with tanks and bazookas that we get. Possibly those books are just "too celebral" for Hollywood.

If we are asking what we would like, as opposed to what we will get, then I'd like to see return to those distopian futures of 1970's films where the world was now ruled by corporations (since that has now come to pass for real.)

We are getting saturated with Superhero movies now. I think they will keep coming out but in a couple of years all but the biggest fans will be sick of them and we will be passed the rapid production of them as good ideas and enthusiasm runs lower. Comic influence could continue with live action Manga making a return.

An increase in Dystopian futures or other Mad Max-alikes (including wild costumes) is definitely possible. I'm hopeful of an increase in fantasy and Sci-Fi. Though Sci-Fi has generally been steadily released over the last several decades. Superheroes is a smaller niche so for example in Sci-Fi I think the rise of AI related films will continue. I quite enjoyed the one with Johnny Depp last year (Transcendence), and the film where folks "date" AI. Sadly I think a lot of the Sci-Fi output will be increasingly CGI focused. Along with more CGI filled remakes like of Sinbad or Jason and the Argonauts. An increase in Westerns or Spaghetti Westerns is a good call too. The Revenant may spur the release of some gritty films set in harsh landscapes.

The high quality of TV series (along with the above mentioned virtual reality/immersive type movie) may curtail interesting big budget movies. Despite that there is always room for some good stories, including those based on historical fact.

I would love a Sinbad! As long as it doesn't turn out like Clash of the Kittens.

The director of Goosebumps just got the gig for the next D&D movie...