After SuperHeroes , What Do You Think Will be the Next Big Thing in The Movies?

Superhero films are popular now but once they fade front he scene what do you think will take their place? What do you think will be the next popular movie trend? :)
I don't go to any super hero movies anymore , not because they are bad, some are very good, but because it is to much been-there-done-that. (I must admit that last years Wonder Woman was framed so differently that I found that very entertaining except for the ending.)
I am more entertained by films that engage me , in recent years that would be a film like Dunkirk , last year, or say The Big Short in 2015.... saw one just last week The Ballad of Buster Scruggs... love out of the ordinary stuff.

One kind of film I would lay down money for is the good ancient history film.
Last really really good one was Gladiator in 2000, 18 years ago!
Troy (2004) was ok , tho no cigar.
Directors cut of Kingdom of Heaven (2005) was ok.
300 trashed a perfectly good piece of history The Battle of Thermopylae , I hate that movie.
There is an instance of comic-booking up a story turned it into trash.

HBO's ROME is an example of a beautiful and enthralling presentation of ancient history.

Superhero films are popular now but once they fade front he scene what do you think will take their place? What do you think will be the next popular movie trend? :)
You know Amazon is doing a Lord of the Rings 'show' , they paid a bundle for Tolkien Middle Earth stuff, think it will succeed even if done well??

You know Amazon is doing a Lord of the Rings 'show' , they paid a bundle for Tolkien Middle Earth stuff, think it will succeed even if done well??

I think there will definite be audience for an LOTR tv show and it will be good. :)

I think there will definite be audience for an LOTR tv show and it will be good. :)
It will be interesting to see, you know I did not expect Game of Thrones to succeed , the story is really Adult , even tho George spins a good story it is a bit complicated.
Tell ya tho, Benioff and Weiss, besides being good writers, have an eye for the kind of artistic density and attention to detail that sets GoT apart, not only does the cast give import but the production values are so well done that the milieu is compelling. I mean Peter Jackson had the same sensibilities , that may be the make or break ingredients of Amazon's attempt.

With the latest Godzilla film and next Years Kong vs Godzilla well ...... :)

I honestly dont think the superhero fad will ever be over. Once they have used up all suitable superheroes they will just start over and reboot them.

After all, they have already rebooted Spider-Man several times, and batman... And others...

But thanks to game of thrones, epic fantasy adaptions might become more popular. We have both Wheel of Time and Magician coming.

I would love to see an adaption of Steven Erikson's Malazen books. Or Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive.

But you know what would be perfect? Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards. The Lies of Locke Lamora would make a fantastic adaption

Last edited:
Honestly I'm surprised that Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter didn't' spark a bigger fantasy era, but I put it down to those films being just too dominating; or the executives only walked away with "long running series are popular" rather than "Mature fantasy is popular."

I'm sure that super heroes will vanish, but it might well prove to be one of the longer running trends a bit like how at one time everything was westerns.

I honestly dont think the superhero fad will ever be over. Once they have used up all suitable superheroes they will just start over and reboot them.

After all, they have already rebooted Spider-Man several times, and batman... And others...
Yeah I was somewhat surprised to see the Joker character is being rebooted yet again, though not so surprised seeing as how quickly Spiderman was rebooted again.

Yeah I was somewhat surprised to see the Joker character is being rebooted yet again, though not so surprised seeing as how quickly Spiderman was rebooted again.

I suppose the pitch would have been something along the line of wouldn't it be great to see the story from the Joker's PoV as the protagonist.

Yeah maybe supervillains is the new thing. Some of the superheroes and popular mutants do have a bad side.

I suppose the pitch would have been something along the line of wouldn't it be great to see the story from the Joker's PoV as the protagonist.
Perhaps what Grendel did for Beowulf might actually inspire a villain's PoV super hero story.

I stopped watching the superhero films a while ago. They may be well done, but they start to all be the same after awhile. Like Mr. Incredible said: "I feel like the maid; 'I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!'" No idea what the next 'big thing' will be when they finally tire of superheros, but I'd love to see more Steampunk film done.