After SuperHeroes , What Do You Think Will be the Next Big Thing in The Movies?

Arrival made just over $200m... not the figures movie houses are looking for today. And, can you name a second?
A second profitable positive SF movie? Do you mean besides Contact and 2001? Monsters, The Martian, Wall-E, Upstream Color, The Time Traveler's Wife, The Abyss, Primer.

Movie houses put out films at a variety of budgets and expected box office grosses - comedies, historicals, dramas, etc. They just don't want to spend $500 million and lose money. Science fiction movies don't have to be expensive blockbusters, and they don't have to be wars or horror films when they are higher budget.

Movie goers don't just want conflict. Titanic was one of the most profitable movies of all times - a romance. Minions, Beauty and the Beast, Toy Story, etc all grossed over $1 billion. Lots of ways to make a buck.

Along the same lines, Jurassic Park, Solaris, Close Encounters, E.T., Tron, Hitchhiker's Guide, Cloud Atlas, Inner Space, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Real Steel, Inception, A.I., Bicentennial Man, Iceman and Her.

Last edited:
Most of those you two mentioned had a lot of conflict, and special effects. No, not war, but still, they are examples of what I said! :p

Most of those you two mentioned had a lot of conflict, and special effects. No, not war, but still, they are examples of what I said! :p
I'm not sure what you're getting at. I said that I'd like to see SF movies made that aren't distopian or horrifying. All works of fiction have conflict, and most films of all genres have special effects. If my examples were 2001, Contact and The Arrival, why do you think that I'm talking about movies with no SFX?

I'm not sure what you're getting at. I said that I'd like to see SF movies made that aren't distopian or horrifying. All works of fiction have conflict, and most films of all genres have special effects. If my examples were 2001, Contact and The Arrival, why do you think that I'm talking about movies with no SFX?
*shrugs* I was working off what I'd said.

mea culpa.

What I'd like to see, and what will be, I understand, are two completely different things. What will follow Superheroes? The next billon-dollar genre. And until that pops up, expect to see more and more Superhero movies.

The studios aren't going to give up on billion-dollar franchises - and nothing I'd like to see is going to generate that kind of income.

Well it won't be anything original, and it'll be something where special effects and CGI will feature heavily, preferably something out of copyright.

How about Mythology?

There are still plenty of unfilmed stories from Greek and Roman.
And what about Norse (I want to see 800 warriors abreast emerging from 500 doors of Valhalla at Ragnarok)
Or Germanic (Siegfried slaying Fafnir)
Or Celtic (Fin MacCool and the Fenians; Cuchulainn in his battle-frenzy appearance)

And that's just the Europeans.

There are plenty more to be plundered from Asia, Africa, Australasia and the Americas

Chinese Myths and Legends, Netflix already have an Australian Further adventures of Monkey.

Chinese Myths and Legends, Netflix already have an Australian Further adventures of Monkey.
I've read the book. It's exactly like the TV series. 100 chapters in the full version entitled "Journey To The West". Ripe for a film franchise, yep.

Before Marvel give up entirely I'd love to see them tackle Groo The Wanderer, but it'll never happen.

How about maybe other 2000AD characters getting their own franchise?
My top choices there would be Strontium Dog, Bad Company, and Flesh.

Honestly Judge Dredd is still quite under-used when you consider how he's really only had 2 films with a long gap between them. He's ripe for a trilogy of films or a long TV series for adults.

Honestly Judge Dredd is still quite under-used when you consider how he's really only had 2 films with a long gap between them. He's ripe for a trilogy of films or a long TV series for adults.
Why keep making disappointing Judge Dredd films when there are all those other stories and characters that haven't had a single film? How about Wildcats, Tom Strong, Biomega, etc?

I really don't think Dredd's satire of comic heroes and caricatured aesthetics translates to live action very well.

Onyx because Judge Dredd is probably the most widely known of all the 2000AD characters. Like it or not many of the others are just not well known. I'd use JD to launch the 2000AD as a franchise for films and then bring in the others; much in the same way that Super Hero films have used a selection of their most iconic heroes to push other heroes into the lime light. They don't even have to be in the same films, just the same franchise behind the film (same as how Pixar has built a name for itself).

Onyx because Judge Dredd is probably the most widely known of all the 2000AD characters. Like it or not many of the others are just not well known. I'd use JD to launch the 2000AD as a franchise for films and then bring in the others; much in the same way that Super Hero films have used a selection of their most iconic heroes to push other heroes into the lime light. They don't even have to be in the same films, just the same franchise behind the film (same as how Pixar has built a name for itself).
I mean no disrespect when I say that I don't think the 2000AD franchise is something that many people are really aware of, outside of Dredd. I've been reading comics in the US since the early '80s and 2000AD has never been on my radar, despite seeking out a lot of alternative stuff. I think French Heavy Metal stuff has a better shot, like Valerian. But anything that seems like parody or satire isn't going to do unless it goes all the way over to full-blown comedy.

For comics to become movies they either need to be major pop-culture figures or the source material has to be so good that it could have been just a script in the first place.

That is true. As great as 2000 AD was it isn’t gigantic world war. And even UK many people won’t know it. Definitely potential for more films but I don’t see them being huge.

For
I've read the book. It's exactly like the TV series. 100 chapters in the full version entitled "Journey To The West". Ripe for a film franchise, yep.

Before Marvel give up entirely I'd love to see them tackle Groo The Wanderer, but it'll never happen.

How about maybe other 2000AD characters getting their own franchise?
My top choices there would be Strontium Dog, Bad Company, and Flesh.
I think that Into the Badlands AMC series is based on Journey to the west.

Maybe if they could get the right actor ,they could revive the Ernest franchise.:whistle:

I assume you mean Pacific Rim sequels.

I hope they aren't the next big thing.