Extensive Asimov Reading List

maeda

So i had a desire to return to the first SF author i have ever read, always lacked time
so postponing became rutine, and since my plan was to read all robot-foundation books,
i knew it's gonna be a long task.
Finally two months ago i just decided to start, and must tell you it's been a hell of a ride.
This post on Crons helped me to put all books in proper reading order:
sffchronicles.com/threads/552941/#post-1918775
..and i thank you for that, otherwise i might of read them in chronological order recommended on various other websites, and for any future reference, that would be a mistake.
I only diverted from suggested order with final Foundation cycle: Prelude>Forward>Edge>Earth, that way the end was really the end.
Now that i'm done my plan is to continue with Asimov as long as possible, throwing non related book here and there to avoid overdose :)
Hence this thread, i need somebody with greater knowledge of Asimov to recommend anything that's worth reading, it doesn't even have to be SF, or book, anything that you think is good.

So, compile list: begin pls :)

Do you mean you want to read as much of Asimov as possible? Big job there.
Yes, that's exactly what i meant, but i won't take that as a job that's have to be finished at any particular time,
just gonna start and see where it takes..
I know there's a lot of it, looks scary: isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ch.cgi?5
What i was hoping to get is some general cues what to focus on, or avoid, from someone who read more than foundation-robot and a few of his well known novels.
I think he is well worth the challenge, and the hunt for more obscure material is something i'm looking forward too

edit. apparently 15 post link limit also applies to quotes, so i had to remove it :)

the hunt for more obscure material
I'm not sure it qualifies as obscure, but one of the many Asimov books I loved wasn't even fiction. The book is called "Please Explain" and it explains a lot of science. There are 100 sections, covering everything from relativity and entropy to the scientific method and imaginary numbers. Fascinating stuff if you like your science.

John Jenkins has reviewed almost every Asimov book and short story
After this, one could almost say /thread, thank you, it will be a valuable resource

I'm not sure it qualifies as obscure, but one of the many Asimov books I loved wasn't even fiction. The book is called "Please Explain" and it explains a lot of science. There are 100 sections, covering everything from relativity and entropy to the scientific method and imaginary numbers. Fascinating stuff if you like your science.
One big reason why he is one of the few personally, is because of the science, i've read some of his essays on science, and i'll bookmark this one, tnx

i need somebody with greater knowledge of Asimov to recommend anything that's worth reading, it doesn't even have to be SF, or book, anything that you think is good.
A very pretty and very smart lady once told me with a straight face "Heinlein is God," to which I was very tempted to reply "No, Heinlein is a brilliant angel. Asimov is God." [Yes, I'm talking about you, J. B. of Mo. ;-)] So, my 2 cents:
The one thing you have to realize about Asimov's non-fiction is that there is no "typical" Asimov. The man adapted his output to specific audiences with a dexterity that has never been equaled. The Good Doctor himself said that the material he most enjoyed writing was the series of monthly (mostly) essays that began in Venture Science Fiction and continued in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, aka "F & SF" (the same publisher) after the first 4. There are about 400 essays in this series, most of which were collected and published, 17 essays to a volume, by Doubleday. They are IMO, his very best writing. Here is a list:
Asimov Essays From the Mag. of F&SF

He also published collections of essays originally pub'd in other mags, such as Gallery, American Airlines In Flight magazine, and TV Guide. But frankly, those are all dumbed down. The F & SF series is the real deal.

Most of his books of science popularization will be quite dated now, but his books on history and literature aren't. "Asimov's Biographical Encyclopedia of Science and Technology" is great.

As for fiction, I think he may have been proudest of "The Gods Themselves". And as a stand alone novel, probably justly. But for many of us who had already read at least the big 5 from the 50s that his SF rep was founded on (Caves of Steel, Naked Sun, Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation) before he more or less abandoned fiction, "Prelude to Foundation" is a very, very special book indeed and to me was the best of the 80s novels, maybe his best SF novel period. But you really should read the core 5 FIRST, including the original Foundation trilogy, even though this is set before "Foundation".

As for his mysteries, Murder at the ABA is probably the best. Death in the Laboratory maybe second. But, heck, the Good Doctor never wrote a bad book.

--------------------------------------
For those who think I'm wrong about A's attitude about "The Gods, Themselves", first read it if you haven't, then read the late short story "Gold" in the collection of the same name.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for those infos @Lew Rockwell Fan , those collected editions from Doubleday are on my shopping list, and i'm very much looking forward reading them.
I have read Foundation & Robot few months back, for the second time, althou first time it was just a few books, it was long time ago, Foundation was actually the first science fiction book i have ever read, it was a good start :)
About Heinlein, yes he was excellent writer, but if i must judge overall, Asimov is closer to the giants like Sagan, Feynman..

Back