Surprising article about Child of Saturn (my first novel, 1989)

Teresa, I am so happy for you. This must make you week the way getting a thank you note for my part in helping someone does for me.(y)

I think so, too, Juliana. And thanks, Parson.

Just how did you find the article, Teresa?

A friend told me about it and emailed me a link.

I think it is a very perceptive article, although it might give the wrong idea about how I meant to present religion. In fact, I used to get letters from readers thanking me for writing a Christian fantasy. I wasn't, really, but some of the specific Arthurian tales I was drawing on (as well as my love of the Christmas season and all its ancient rituals) undoubtedly gave that impression.

Not that I disagree with what she said. I understand what she was saying and it's not inaccurate. But people who have not read the series might apply it more broadly than I actually meant.

That is a really nice article. I've always wanted to read more of your books, so I actually just ordered a used copy of this so I can check it out. Looking forward to it.

As a matter of fact, the paperback edition was scanned and proofread several years ago, and only needs formatting and cover art, so I have considered publishing it.

But since all three books in the trilogy are relatively short I've also thought about releasing them as an omnibus edition instead of separately, and the files for the other two books are still full of scanning errors and it might take quite a bit of work to get them ready.

Woot! I finally made my hundredth post!

But on the subject at hand: it never hurts to have income from 3 books over one omnibus, I wouldn't think. Plus you could get that on out now, like TheEndIsNigh suggested, then once each has been released and had it's new run, release the omnibus one.

I'll have to think about that. I have some money coming in soon so perhaps I can afford cover art.
I take it you would change the cover if you could.
What direction would you take it in? More Celtic perhaps? An interior of the castle? More of the characters?

I don't have the rights to use the old cover. Not that I would if I could. It's attractive, but it doesn't bear any relation to the characters or the story, very little to the setting, and if you look closely there are some very ... odd ... details -- like the location of the boiling cauldron.

What direction would I take? Possibly more Celtic, and definitely more medieval. I have some ideas based on the main characters and the setting, and one scene in particular if it could be done effectively.

I don't have the rights to use the old cover. Not that I would if I could. It's attractive, but it doesn't bear any relation to the characters or the story, very little to the setting, and if you look closely there are some very ... odd ... details -- like the location of the boiling cauldron.

What direction would I take? Possibly more Celtic, and definitely more medieval. I have some ideas based on the main characters and the setting, and one scene in particular if it could be done effectively.
Which scene? The court assembled?

Huh? You don't have rights to print other books with that cover? I could see not being able to use it to adorn a sweat shirt or something, but the cover of the same book?

Huh? You don't have rights to print other books with that cover? I could see not being able to use it to adorn a sweat shirt or something, but the cover of the same book?
i think it still belongs to the publisher. But this gives a chance for a new start.

This gets better and better.

Just find a young aspiring artist. Then lock him up in your garret until he produces the goods for the cover.

Keep him chained up until the third book is published.

Then you can release him so he can tell the world about his odeal at the hands of a Goblin Princess.

You might even get a fourth book out of it.

Win Win

Which scene? The court assembled?

I was thinking of the scene in the snowy courtyard where she finds him unconscious. But it might be too busy with all the banners, and something simpler would be better.

Huh? You don't have rights to print other books with that cover?

I'm not the one who commissioned the cover and paid the artist. That was a deal between my old publisher and the artist to license the art for use on their edition of the book. I was able to get the rights to the novel back after the book went OP because that's my own work. The art still belongs to the artist, so in theory I could hunt him down and pay him to use it again, but I'd rather pay someone else to do it right. I paid for and provided the map by Ann Maglinte, though, so I could still use that.

This gets better and better.

Just find a young aspiring artist. Then lock him up in your garret until he produces the goods for the cover.

Keep him chained up until the third book is published.

Then you can release him so he can tell the world about his odeal at the hands of a Goblin Princess.

You might even get a fourth book out of it.

Win Win

This sounds like a brilliant idea, one I shall give all due consideration.