Surprising article about Child of Saturn (my first novel, 1989)

Discussion in 'Teresa Edgerton' started by Teresa Edgerton, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Teresa Edgerton

Teresa Edgerton Goblin Princess Staff Member

2. Juliana

Juliana YA author, Juliana Spink Mills

That's a lovely article, Teresa. And on Tor, too, very nice!

"Beyond swords and quests, she presents a small, jeweled trinket of a book that is lovely, sharp-edged, and not quite like anything else." :)

3. mosaix

mosaix Shropshire, U.K.

Agreed.

Just how did you find the article, Teresa?

4. Parson

Parson This world is not my home

Teresa, I am so happy for you. This must make you week the way getting a thank you note for my part in helping someone does for me.(y)

5. Teresa Edgerton

I think so, too, Juliana. And thanks, Parson.

A friend told me about it and emailed me a link.

I think it is a very perceptive article, although it might give the wrong idea about how I meant to present religion. In fact, I used to get letters from readers thanking me for writing a Christian fantasy. I wasn't, really, but some of the specific Arthurian tales I was drawing on (as well as my love of the Christmas season and all its ancient rituals) undoubtedly gave that impression.

Not that I disagree with what she said. I understand what she was saying and it's not inaccurate. But people who have not read the series might apply it more broadly than I actually meant.

6. Jo Zebedee

Jo Zebedee Come away, oh human child - Waters and the Wild

How lovely. :) A lot of Arthurian legends link very strongly to early Christianity (and to the Irish and Welsh legends.)

7. ratsy

ratsy www.scifiexplorations.com

That is a really nice article. I've always wanted to read more of your books, so I actually just ordered a used copy of this so I can check it out. Looking forward to it.

8. J Riff

J Riff The Ants are my friends..

Good review. Must find a copy of this 'jeweled trinket'.

9. Jennifer L. Carson

Jennifer L. Carson Well-Known Member

Maybe it, too, needs to become an ebook. I'd think it's about time, don't you?

10. Teresa Edgerton

As a matter of fact, the paperback edition was scanned and proofread several years ago, and only needs formatting and cover art, so I have considered publishing it.

But since all three books in the trilogy are relatively short I've also thought about releasing them as an omnibus edition instead of separately, and the files for the other two books are still full of scanning errors and it might take quite a bit of work to get them ready.

Juliana and ratsy like this.
  11. TheEndIsNigh

TheEndIsNigh ...Prepare Thyself

There's the answer then Teresa. Publish the first and use the profits to get the others into shape. Plus published separately the series will put your name on the bookshelves for longer.

12. Jennifer L. Carson

Jennifer L. Carson Well-Known Member

Woot! I finally made my hundredth post!

But on the subject at hand: it never hurts to have income from 3 books over one omnibus, I wouldn't think. Plus you could get that on out now, like TheEndIsNigh suggested, then once each has been released and had it's new run, release the omnibus one.

13. Teresa Edgerton

I'll have to think about that. I have some money coming in soon so perhaps I can afford cover art.

14. Mad Alice

Mad Alice From Earth; Mad House of the Universe

I take it you would change the cover if you could.
    What direction would you take it in? More Celtic perhaps? An interior of the castle? More of the characters?

15. Teresa Edgerton

I don't have the rights to use the old cover. Not that I would if I could. It's attractive, but it doesn't bear any relation to the characters or the story, very little to the setting, and if you look closely there are some very ... odd ... details -- like the location of the boiling cauldron.

What direction would I take? Possibly more Celtic, and definitely more medieval. I have some ideas based on the main characters and the setting, and one scene in particular if it could be done effectively.

16. Mad Alice

Which scene? The court assembled?

17. Parson

Parson This world is not my home

Huh? You don't have rights to print other books with that cover? I could see not being able to use it to adorn a sweat shirt or something, but the cover of the same book?

18. Mad Alice

i think it still belongs to the publisher. But this gives a chance for a new start.

19. TheEndIsNigh

TheEndIsNigh ...Prepare Thyself

This gets better and better.

Just find a young aspiring artist. Then lock him up in your garret until he produces the goods for the cover.

Keep him chained up until the third book is published.

Then you can release him so he can tell the world about his odeal at the hands of a Goblin Princess.

You might even get a fourth book out of it.

Win Win

Parson and Juliana like this.
  20. Teresa Edgerton

I was thinking of the scene in the snowy courtyard where she finds him unconscious. But it might be too busy with all the banners, and something simpler would be better.

I'm not the one who commissioned the cover and paid the artist. That was a deal between my old publisher and the artist to license the art for use on their edition of the book. I was able to get the rights to the novel back after the book went OP because that's my own work. The art still belongs to the artist, so in theory I could hunt him down and pay him to use it again, but I'd rather pay someone else to do it right. I paid for and provided the map by Ann Maglinte, though, so I could still use that.

This sounds like a brilliant idea, one I shall give all due consideration.