Some mammals may see magnetic fields

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Dogs and orangutans may be able to see magnetic fields

Dogs and some primates may have an internal compass linked to their visual systems, a new study claims.

A light-sensitive molecule found in the eyes of some mammals may give them a magnetic sense similar to that of migratory birds.

Researchers in Germany have traced this 'magnetoreception' molecule to dog-like carnivores, from dogs to bears, and primates including orangutans.

Curiously, it's not been found in any species of cat.

I always find sensory discussions interesting.

What would it be like to "see" in sonar or to "taste" in chemical compounds. Even our entire language is tied around our anthropomorphic sensory perceptions and just describing something different can be odd.

Something that really got me thinking about perceptions was in Besters The Stars My Destination where Gully experiences Synesthesia - I suppose a lot of this centres around human consciousness which is indistinguishable from human sensory experience.

There are probably a lot of things in the Animal Kingdom that may surprise us.

I see and feel sounds in terms of colour and texture, if that's of any interest. Used to drive other people in bands mad - 'can you make it more cardboardy?' I never realised until that point (about 18) that anyone was any different. It makes for confusion in my head though, 'Back to black' by Amy Winehouse is a classic example - she's singing the middle eight bit - 'black, black', and I think, no, you mean burgundy.

Last edited:
Well I can believe that. But, what about these magnetic wrist bracelets; they've made a comeback and there are nice ones in the drugstores now, selling for 20 bucks and up. Personally, I have a gajillion magnets, all sizes, tons neodymium, and lots of those ones from microwaves, which are really strong.
Would be nice for magnets to suddenly increase in value, but the health benefits? Dunno.