Joanne Harris withdraws from festival over 'unreasonable' demands

The Bluestocking

Bloody Mary in Blue
Joanne Harris has announced she is pulling out of a literature festival “for the first time in my life” because of its demanding contract terms and has called for an industry-wide standard to be introduced.

Chocolat author Harris tweeted earlier today (23rd February) that: “For the first time in my life, and with the utmost regret, I'm pulling out of a festival because of the terms of their contract.”

The festival in question had demanded a six-week exclusivity clause around the author holding any other events in the area, requested unrestricted filming of her attendance there and five free copies of the book. “All this for the princely sum of fifty quid,” Harris said, adding: “No thanks.”

Read the rest here.

Whoa! The first two (or at least the first one) are definitely in the "what on earth..." category.

If I understood it right, 50 quids are 50 British Pounds??? If so, this would be about the amount to pay for five books, I guess. I am not British, but a book usually costs between slightly under 10 Euro to 15 Euro. Although I am a short story author, I have experienced that a lot of people think that artists have to give free copies of their books. I always have to explain that I am NOT getting a huge number of free copies from the publisher - an author like Harris certainly gets more, but it is also limited. I am sure she also needs some to show around and has a family who want some, so I don´t think any author can hand out books like treats on Halloween at any occasion. For me it is really bad that some authors - especially vanity press ones who sometimes don´t care how much money they waste - in fact do it. There was even a visitor of my parents basically demanding a book. Hey, he has nothing to do with me and he already got a free dinner cooked by Mum. I am really glad if someone tells the people that an author does not have to say yes to everything and that books are in fact physical things of a certain value. They can be given as presents, but they cannot be demanded. And I also don´t think that the festival team reads all those books. If they need some reading samples, they can also be transmitted in a digital version. (In fact I made some public readings and no organizer ever wanted to read a lot in advance. Once I LENT a book to one as she wanted to check out my style. So it is most likely rather a private souvenir or something to please volunteer workers. And no, it is not right that everyone is paid if the event is professional. I was really shocked when we had the Eurovision here in Austria that they were looking for volunteers and their "payment" was that they can have an exciting experience??? WTF??? - They raise so much money with the event and then they can´t pay a few bucks per hour??? And they even did not promise that their volunteers will see anything of the event.)

That is one thing. With video recording I first thought she is making to much ado about it. It is a public event, so what? - But when I read that she is most likely not recorded to make a little youtube-video to promote next year´s event (and use some seconds of several lectures) or such or a review of the past festival, but sold, this is something different. If so, she should have a piece of the cake.

The other thing is the exclusivity. What??? I have not heard of this ever before and it is a shame. At most events people are rather disappointed when artists rush in and just do the job and leave. It is even better for the event if the person is relaxed, as (s)he will stay in the region for a while anyway. Exclusivity is like selling the soul. And well, real fans will also see someone twice.

The thing is, the festival wants to treat Harris as a contractor - one that provides their time for free, and can be financially exploited at will.

This is the sort of thing Philip Pullman was complaining about when he recently quit as patron of the Oxford Lit Festival because they were expecting writers to appear for free. Harris says in that article the exclusivity clause would prevent writers from doing a book signing tour.