Agents of Shield S305 - 4,722 Hours

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Synopsis:
Simmons agrees to tell Fitz of her six months on the planet. After being dragged through the portal, she found herself on an apparently sun-less, deserted planet, where she came across a pool of water and an alien life form inhabiting it, allowing her to sustain herself until she met stranded astronaut Will Daniels. Daniels had traveled through the portal with a team of scientists in 2001, when the monolith was in the possession of NASA, but over time they had been driven mad by the planet and an evil entity upon it, each eventually dying. Simmons realized that the opening of the portal can be predicted by studying the stars and alignment of the planet's moons, and over months they were able to anticipate the next opening of the portal. When they missed it, Simmons lost hope, but found solace with Daniels and fell in love with him. When they saw Fitz's flare, Simmons was able to make it to him while Daniels distracted the entity. Now, Simmons wants to reopen the portal so they can return to save Daniels, which Fitz agrees to help with.

I have to admi this episode didn't grab me - but I was the only one in the family who felt that way.

To me it felt like there was a lack of scale, either in plot, stakes, or mystery. That the "evil entity" was just some figure wandering around, but not actually doing anything, I found too much of a leap of faith. IMO Simmon's idea that everyone went mad because of isolation and lack of hope made more sense!

And Simmons fell in love in her despair? That was unexpected.

But otherwise, an entire episode dedicated to Simmons's predicament lacked any real sense of predicament for me, and I couldn't help feel that it could have been better done. As I said, I was in the minority, though. :)

I felt the same way about Simmons' explanation. Would have found it more disturbing/intriguing if the fellow had gone insane and killed the people he was supposed to protect.

Poor Fitz. Simmons got sent across the galaxy, and he became trapped in the Friendzone.