If You Could Change History Which Events Would You Change ?

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
If you could change history, set things on a new course and timeline what events and things would you change? And how would you accomplish it ?

And what do you suppose would be the likely consequences and outcomes of those changes to the timeline?

Thoughts? :)

Ajid

Only Saltwater Fish Drink
WOW, well none, any single one could effect the pressent in ways I couldn't predict. However let us ignore the grandfather paradox and imagine we could change an event create a new timeline and return to our own. Personaly I'd love to know what would happen if there had been no Cambrian-Ordovician extinction. What would life look like? There would have been a greater pool of species to evolve into... Well what? Would in time another species have evolved to a position like ours, does convergent evolution mean that one large brained species will uktimatley evolve from any breading stock. Imagine the questions this might answer.

The other events I would have thought I would change are personal ones. And as romantic as it seems to see what old loves continued may have been or choices that may have made me rich would have done I wouldn't even want to explore them.

If there was one thing I think may entirely change our modern world it would be to stop the crusades. I wonder what difference that may have made.

What a wonderfull question.

bedlamite

Expert; giant catcher; queller of uprisings;
I'm assuming that you could repeatedly visit a spot to investigate what happened. The main thing I am learning about myself in this thought exercise is that I am really, really nosey. Also, the fact that stopping certain things from happening, eg JFK being assassinated, would require someone with much more of a brass neck than me. I won't even ask a waiter to bring condiments. I would need to take my wife.

Also, you run the risk of making things even worse. Imagine if you somehow stopped Stalin. You have created a vacuum, but what fills that vacuum? It's a bit like Groundhog Day.

But, to give an answer, I would like to go to Antikythera a few hundred years approximately BC, ransack a certain ship, and remove from the cargo a certain mechanism, and make sure that said mechanism got to its intended destination safely. The mechanism, later found in a shipwreck in 1901, has recently been worked out to be an analogue computer which accurately predicts astronomical positions, eclipses etc. This whole technology and knowledge was lost for centuries, so I think we might be better off for having kept it out of the water. Maybe.

Ajid

I think I know of the mechanism of which you speak, i wonder what the result of such a mechanism, a computer would have been in a less enlightened age. It may have been good or bad but I wonder if like the human brain history requires these periods of discovery relaxation and rediscovery. Seems like there's a steam punk book in your idea somewhere, not my genre but I'd love to read it.

Jaxx

Present
I would stop the human race from bringing the Fae races to the brink of destruction, leading them to use henge portals to leave our realm. I would work on integrating them viably into our society and our dimension plane, changing mankinds base fear of things that aren't familiar or things they can't control or understand.

Simply so I can watch herds of Unicorn gambol across the prairie, Minotaur joust for territories in sun dappled, wooded glades and create cunning assault courses for the teeth fairies to conquer before they aquire my milky gnashers.

WaylanderToo

WOW, well none, any single one could effect the pressent in ways I couldn't predict. However let us ignore the grandfather paradox and imagine we could change an event create a new timeline and return to our own. Personaly I'd love to know what would happen if there had been no Cambrian-Ordovician extinction. What would life look like? There would have been a greater pool of species to evolve into... Well what? Would in time another species have evolved to a position like ours, does convergent evolution mean that one large brained species will uktimatley evolve from any breading stock. Imagine the questions this might answer.

The other events I would have thought I would change are personal ones. And as romantic as it seems to see what old loves continued may have been or choices that may have made me rich would have done I wouldn't even want to explore them.

If there was one thing I think may entirely change our modern world it would be to stop the crusades. I wonder what difference that may have made.

What a wonderfull question.

actually just as interesting would be if the crusades had succeeded.

what if Alex the G hadn't died aged 32?

if the Battle of Vienna had been lost?

Attila the Hun had either not been born or not died early?

Mad Alice

From Earth; Mad House of the Universe
I would cruise the Atlantic with two dozen tugboats meeting up with the titanic outside the ice flow, and trailing her in.
Result. That ten percent of the worlds premier financiers wouldn't have perished, the stock market wouldn't have crashed, the rise of the Nazi party would have been safely limited without that economic impetus.
Scurrying ahead, without the twin weights of thee depression and the war england would have continued its economic climb becoming the tech innovator.. Imperialism would reign in the threats of the religious uprisings in the middle east as Egypt is vaulted into the growth that Singapore knows now.
Without the constant wars between upstart forces in the African congo, famine doesn't have a chance to take hold.
The space race is never abandoned as a last ditch finance attempt for the Vietnam war, e which never happened, and mars and Venus both have outposts, as does two of Saturn's moons ..
Most wars are settled by the queen mum inviting the other country's royals over for tea and crumpets, and marrying off one of her grandchildren into the family.
The queen inherited because king Edward never had an heir and stepped down.
But punk rock was invented by the Japanese, which gave it a weird samurai tradition of dress.

Jaxx

Present
I would cruise the Atlantic with two dozen tugboats meeting up with the titanic outside the ice flow, and trailing her in.
Result. That ten percent of the worlds premier financiers wouldn't have perished, the stock market wouldn't have crashed, the rise of the Nazi party would have been safely limited without that economic impetus.
Scurrying ahead, without the twin weights of thee depression and the war england would have continued its economic climb becoming the tech innovator.. Imperialism would reign in the threats of the religious uprisings in the middle east as Egypt is vaulted into the growth that Singapore knows now.
Without the constant wars between upstart forces in the African congo, famine doesn't have a chance to take hold.
The space race is never abandoned as a last ditch finance attempt for the Vietnam war, e which never happened, and mars and Venus both have outposts, as does two of Saturn's moons ..
Most wars are settled by the queen mum inviting the other country's royals over for tea and crumpets, and marrying off one of her grandchildren into the family.
The queen inherited because king Edward never had an heir and stepped down.
But punk rock was invented by the Japanese, which gave it a weird samurai tradition of dress.
Well thought out. Sadly I would go back and scupper all your plans in a cackling, hand wringing and nefarious way, because you would prevent . . .

The Ace

Scottish Roman.
Prevent Malcolm Canmore from raising an army and invading Scotland.

It'd be interesting to see how the descendants of Lulach the Fool (murdered in 1058, the year after his predecessor and step-father Macbeth) panned out. It's not as if they could've done a worse job than the House of Dunkeld and the Stuarts.

Ajid

Prevent Malcolm Canmore from raising an army and invading Scotland.

It'd be interesting to see how the descendants of Lulach the Fool (murdered in 1058, the year after his predecessor and step-father Macbeth) panned out. It's not as if they could've done a worse job than the House of Dunkeld and the Stuarts.
Wait a minute, ancestry has me attached to the Dunkeld family. And you're right, if I was ruling Scotland my priority would not be in the interest of Scotland, or the rest of the west to be fair.

Mad Alice

Oh
Well thought out. Sadly I would go back and scupper all your plans in a cackling, hand wringing and nefarious way, because you would prevent . . .

That still happened ... The movie, that is. Only now its about the first starship that got caught In a meteor storm, with all the crew taking to escape stasis pods. But jacks worked and hers didn't. So he put her in .. Them together. Then she slept, and dreamed of him while he exited, so she could escape and live, he stayed aboard the ghost ship forever circling Saturn's rings. The flying Dutchman of the new millienium.
And on clear nights romantic fools look through telescopes together, and watch the sparkle of the capsule in its never ending voyage, glinting its promise of love eternal from its endless trip among the stars.

The Ace

Scottish Roman.
Wait a minute, ancestry has me attached to the Dunkeld family. And you're right, if I was ruling Scotland my priority would not be in the interest of Scotland, or the rest of the west to be fair.
Ancestry has me connected to the Stuarts, but I try to forget that. Robert I based his claim to the throne on David I (Canmore's youngest son) being his fourth-great grandfather and having a big sword (although he's better remembered for judicious use of a dirk and a battleaxe).

BAYLOR

I would warn Jacques de Moley Templar and Templasr about about what King Phillip The IV has in store for them. I would also advise him to protect Pope Boniface the VIII from Phillip as well.

BAYLOR

I would make sure that Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife Sophia make it out Sarajevo alive on that June 28 day in 1914. They were both good people and didn't deserve do die . Saving them might have staved off WWI for a few more years , might have saved some lives. :(

BAYLOR

I'd save the library at Alexandria from destruction.
When Julius Caesar burned Ptolemy's fleet he set part of the library on fire setting back civilization 1000 years

I'll go further and also save Hypatia the Librarian of Alexandria from being murdered by the followers St Cyril's follower.

Mirannan

There are a few obvious ones (someone with a good sniper rifle, and the skill to use it, at the Battle of Badr for example) but there is a less obvious one; go back to 1963 and arrange for Project Orion to continue. There would be bases on Saturn's moons by now. :cry:

Mad Alice

I would make sure that Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife Sophia make it out Sarajevo alive on that June 28 day in 1914. They were both good people and didn't deserve do die . Saving them might have staved off WWI for a few more years , might have saved some lives. :(
That was actually they fifth attempt to embroil the major powers in a war.

WaylanderToo

When Julius Caesar burned Ptolemy's fleet he set part of the library on fire setting back civilization 1000 years

I'll go further and also save Hypatia the Librarian of Alexandria from being murdered by the followers St Cyril's follower.

Two different events about 500 years apart old chap (and apparently the faction responsible for the death of Hypatia is still hotly disputed)