I fear I might be considered a liar.

Ronald T.

First off – none of what you read hear is based on any actual feedback. It’s entirely due to the subtle fears caused by an ever uncertain mind. So please, let me explain how my often demented yet always busy mind works. If nothing else, by the time I’ve finished this post, it’s likely you’ll have concluded one of two things: either I’m telling the truth, or I truly am a pathological liar. In the end, that conclusion is up to you.

After reading the generous compliments about my determination to read all the threads on this particular forum, it occurred to me last night as I lie awake prior to falling asleep, that it’s very possible for people to think me a liar. The thought kept me awake far longer than I would’ve liked.

It was still with me when I awoke, and I’m having a bit of trouble shaking it off. At first, I was going to ignore it. But I don’t think that would be beneficial to anyone.

If I’m thought of as a liar, how can any of you as readers of this forum wish to read anything else I post from here on? And how does it serve me to ignore such a misconception? I don’t think my ego is completely out of control, but I’ll openly admit to having one that can be bruised at times. The sad part is, that bruising is often self-inflicted, just as it might be in this instance.

Now, I’m going to compound the danger that I might be considered a liar by stating another simple fact: I not only read the entire SFF CRONICLES “General Writing Discussion” forum, I did the same thing at a different site, one created by someone similar to our own inspired leader, Brian Turner. I researched both of these sites at the same time. And I will admit, I was a lot of work.

But as you get to know me, you’ll find I have no fear of taking on a difficult or long-term challenge if what I want to know or achieve is backed by my strong desire to learn or complete something. I spent more than four years building our dream home, taking no more than three or four days off each year. I did at least 90% of the work myself. So I suppose I should change the term “strong desire” to the more accurate term “fanatical desire”. If you doubt my terminology, you have only to query Jane, my beloved wife of 46 years. I feel quite certain she’ll set your mind at ease.

I’m sure this is merely a self-serving exercise, and I’ll admit that. I only posted this as a way to sooth my own unmanaged insecurities. But I’ve never believed that turning a blind eye to a real or imagined problem is the best way to deal with it. I’d rather face it straight on – face to face. After that, I can feel secure that I’ve done all I could do, personally.

I hope I haven’t bored you. If so, I apologize. But, at least now I can move on without my uncertainty festering into something unhealthier than an uncertain mind. And I thank you all for listening.

As always, my best to you all,

-- The Hermit in the Woods --

In all honesty, RT, it literally never crossed my mind that you hadn't done what you said you had done, in the other thread...so, the possibility that you hadn't read each of those threads never dawned in my wee mind. I would guess the same might be true for the vast majority of the folks here.
Now, I will mention that I was very surprised you'd take the time to read them all...I would never have gotten through them. :)
I'd say don't worry! I think we try to take things at face value here. CC

I also didn't consider for a moment that you'd fibbed about reading all the threads. And I'm a cynic by nature and by training.

I think if you had come in and your very first post was to announce you'd read everything, there might have been one or two suspicions , though as CC says, by and large we accept what people say until they give us cause to doubt. But the posts you've made in the last 6 months have all shown evidence of a good deal of thought on the particular subject, and consideration for others' feelings, as well as a kind of old-school gentility, all of which suggested truthfulness and honesty.

So, stop worrying!

Hey Hermit in the woods*

Personally it is a pleasure to read your words and that's really all that matters, and as Cat's Cradle states - whether you have literally read every word in the general writing discussion forum, is neither here or there. Most of my posts were forgettable anyway, I hope you discarded them :D

However talking about falsehoods, Pedantus my onboard annoying micro-personality tells me that it is odd that you are a 'hermit in the woods' and also simultaneously in a happy marriage....

...but Paradoxus, the implant the Goddess Eris sneaked in when I was born, is very tickled with the juxtaposition. Very good. :)

------------------------------------------------------------

* Mmmmm.... I have a character in my WiP that fits that description...

Hmmm lies are best hidden in the hyperbole; the false is friend to the improbable. I dispute your claim, dishonorable gentleman!

Kidding. Nobody here is that mistrustful. Remember this is Eden, protected from the chaos and evil of the rest of the internet.

I was rather impressed with your dedication ;) I thought you'd read them all (I tried once, and gave up - but do flick through them from time to time). I have done similar in some of the smaller author threads (I won't name names in case they think I'm a stalkery dragon) and I do jump on the new threads and read most of them (though I'm woefully behind on Playroom threads - those eat days! Days of fun that you don't realise you have lost mind you). So to add my voice to the many already gathered here, the thought that you hadn't read them never even entered my mind. :)

I say hugs all round to squash the worry monsters for everyone! :D

Hi,

Like the others it never occurred to me that you hadn't read the threads either here or at Mythic Scribes. I tend to take things at face value.

I did worry that you might have a problem though because I couldn't think why anyone would read every thread. I assumed most people would be like me and simply read the ones that interest them.

Cheers, Greg.

Sorry! I just noticed I can't even spell the word "here". Clearly, this issue bothered me more than I realized. I actually do know the difference. I guess that's what a sound edit is for.

And I thank you all for your expressions of trust. You don't know how deeply that touches me. I've had to stop more than once to dry my eyes and blow my nose. And that's the truth as well. If you hadn't noticed, unfortunately, I'm a man a bit too in-touch with his emotions. It's been a curse that has followed me throughout my life. At times, it's an affliction that has proved embarrassing while out in public.

And, Ven B, I'm amused by your reference to my "hermitishness" while still having shared a long and loving relationship with my sweetheart, Jane. But I was lucky. I met her in high school, and she's the only girl I've ever dated. But she was the right girl for me then, and she still is, 46 years later.

As far as my tendency toward a hermit's life, there are instances when I don't leave our property for more than three months at a time. Usually nothing but a dental or doctor's appointment can drag me away. And if it wasn't for Jane's influence, I might not see friends and family more than once or twice a year. Like I said, I get deeply involved in what I need to learn. And when I'm not doing research, I spend a huge amount of time writing. But it's what I enjoy. So, basically, I consider that as being a bit on the "hermitish" side.

And once again, my thanks to you all.

-- RON --

AKA...The Hermit in the Woods.

Last edited:
One more thing, to make this completely accurate. This is primarily as a response to phychotick's last response. I have no wish to mislead. When I say I read every entry, what I mean is that I've opened every thread by every original poster and read their initial thoughts on every thread. And I read the first two or three responses to that thread. There were times when I didn't read every post on a particular issue. But if I was hooked by what was being said, I would read every response, even if there were 50 or 60 of them. If I misled, then I apologize.

-- Ron --

Aren't all good fiction writer's liars? Isn't that, in a way the test of a writer? One who spins tales, sometimes tall-tales and lies, for the purpose of entertainment?
That's what I thought this thread was going to be about.
Hmm....
Actual mundane liar? I never thought you were.

I really can't see the problem.

I'm an habitual liar and everyone I know knows it. (especially on this forum). Hence some of my more incredible claims about running semi-naked from the hospital and stealing clothes off a washing line in order to escape from the 'Bird Flu" isolation ward. (Sorry readers, that was actually not how I escaped. What I actually had to do was sow myself into the skin of a dead patient and hack myself out of the coffin just before they lit the gas. But I hid the truth at the time to avoid prosecution for interfering with the legal disposal of a body. I can reveal the truth now, because the statute of limitations on that crime is only three years)

My personal view it that to be a writer a healthy ability to lie convincingly is a positive asset. Else you're bound to wallow in a pit of boring factual biographies or writing for Wikipedia :rolleyes:

Now if I were inclined to think badly of someone in regard to their factual reporting in a post I hardly think you're assertion to have read or not read anything is likely to ring my alarm bells. I mean it's not exactly the crime of the centaury is it.

Unless you're using it as an alibi in some criminal investigation where you claim you couldn't have robbed the Bank of England because you were on line at the time reading the "The Life of Brian" on the SSF website.

On another note :- If you are inclined to long sessions of thread reading could I recommend the SFF comfy chair catalogue. these fine examples of semi-custom made bedroom/lounge furniture are guaranteed to provide the user with everything they desire in the lonely moonlit hours when most posters are asleep (the undedicated ones - we know who they are, the go to bed at ten o'clock and wake at nine types that have never heard the clock strike 2.00 am - Pah - lightweights)

Most of the versions naturally have the in-built infusion bag holders and come with a variety of add-ons from feeding tubes to vibratory foot massagers and waste disposal options. (at extra cost).

Discounts are available for 'chronic' cases.

If you would like a catalogue please let me know.

Last edited:
My thanks to you all. I'm deeply relieved by your considerate responses. I will do my best not to let such apparent non-issues worry me in the future.

And I appreciate your various insertions of humor. They were well received.

And to TheEndIsNigh -- you, my friend, have an unbelievable sense of humor. I smiled and laughed through your entire post.

However, I would like to make a point here. I have no problem with creative lying. As you all say, and I certainly recognize, it's part of the business.

It is in our heartfelt personal communications that I wish to be truthful. I'll always strive for that goal. But I am now a bit wiser as to the sentiment on these forums, and I can clearly take myself much less seriously. I will strive for that goal as well. Because, as you've probably discovered, I tend to be slightly on the serious side even when seriousness is not necessarily called for. It is an unhelpful trait I'll do my best to soften.

As I said at the beginning, my thanks to you all. You've put my heart at ease.