What Are Your Favorite Weird Tales or Stories that Fit That Category?

It is, Cathbad. It's like an early, dry (*cough*) run for later Lovecraft stories, with maybe a touch of Robert E. Howard Southern atmosphere thrown in for good measure.

Randy M.

It's a terrific story:)

Just bought a big fat used paperback in good condition, costing the princely sum of 50 pence, its a collection of Henry S. Whitehead's horror short stories!
Read "Jumbee" years ago, this is included in the collection, he's a pretty decent writer, I think a fair few of the stories take place on the American Virgin Islands in the Caribbean, interestingly according to the author these once belonged to I think Danmark!

And, God help me! the Damned Thing is of such a colour!

Fitz James O' Brien: "What Was It? A Mystery."

Those two strike me as soulmates, similar premises; see also, de Maupassant's "The Horla".

Randy M.

Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure I've read that, but I don't remember it, or not much. I think there was a protagonist. ; )

Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure I've read that, but I don't remember it, or not much. I think there was a protagonist. ; )

An aline space ship comes to Earth with an intent of Colonization and exploration and finds some disaster complete wiped out Humanity long ago of which the cant find records , though they note that before then came there was a evidence of retreat in technical development on Earth prior to this disaster The aliens have a machine wthat is capable of resurrecting the dead which, they use to find get conclusive answer as to what happened to humanity . They make a number a number of missteps doing this and finally, one of the resurrected tells them that earths population got taken out by a vast radiation storm and thye could escape it . Unfortunately for the aliens the person who informed them of what happened I turned out to be a hyper evolved human. who proved more the match for them and their weapons technology and he wanted their resurrection machine to bring back mankind.

REF: Baylor.
Yes I read "Resurrection" in the very dim and very distant past, it's one of A. E. Van Vogt's better ones as it's stuck with me all these years!

REF: Baylor.
Yes I read "Resurrection" in the very dim and very distant past, it's one of A. E. Van Vogt's better ones as it's stuck with me all these years!

It was one of the first stories I read by him . I think in the anthology Destination Universe .

I remember reading a 2000AD strip about a slovenly woman who threw her trash without care into some kind of portal. The portal ended up being a hole in time to her future self and she ended up drowning in her own filth. The whole strip was written in the form of a rhyming poem and it really impressed me.

I must try and dig the collection out, but It was either Tharg's Future Shock or Alan Moore's Twisted Times.

Last edited: