Three-Legged Improv

Joshua Jones

(Never done Noir before, but why not give it a go...)

Rain poured on the wicked city like confetti for a morbid parade.

The mourners, soaked to the bone, carried the casket of the last schmuck to cross the Horizon Corporation down Main Street.

A gun rested under my trencher, and bullets in my fedora; I had been hired to ensure this was the last parade of tears in Paradise City.

Now, for my attempt at breaking the thread...
Vegetable, scientist, Mil SF

Last edited:

Randy M.

Rats. You beat me by moments but I'm sending it anyway!

----
Down the mean city streets, labyrinthine between towering sky scrappers the dead men marched, stepping high and slow, some dropping an arm and some a leg and a few just a toe.

The mayor sneered, "That'll keep the living joes and jills in line for a while."

The necromancer, pocketing his fee, smiled.
---

Vegetable? Scientist? Mil SF? Hoo, boy ...

Joshua Jones

Rats. You beat me by moments but I'm sending it anyway!

----
Down the mean city streets, labyrinthine between towering sky scrappers the dead men marched, stepping high and slow, some dropping an arm and some a leg and a few just a toe.

The mayor sneered, "That'll keep the living joes and jills in line for a while."

The necromancer, pocketing his fee, smiled.
---

Vegetable? Scientist? Mil SF? Hoo, boy ...
Well, if we don't get any takers for that, we could use what you would have picked as an alternate. I definitely enjoyed your blend of Noir and urban fantasy.

chrispenycate

resident pedantissimo
Staff member
Supporter
The troops retreated before the latest invaders - accelerated triffids, any fraction of which rerooted, and grew.

There only hope was to slow them until the maddest scientist (he who had produced the mutaion in the first place) could develop an effective weedkiller.

Meanwhile civilisation was torn apart and fields hunted their own fertiliser.

Nanotechnology, brachiation, dieselpunk :D

Dig this, dude, the blacksmith's back, repairing pot-holed chassis.

No software fix, no GPS,

No horse dung neither - classy.

No one had thought that society's best intentions, its most sacred efforts, would be what brought the apocalypse in the end.

The trees, enhanced at the molecular level, grew many kilometres tall and covered the Earth - Herman and the other rare survivors, too lost in the ever climbing jungles to breed, cared little for the species now.
They merely swing between the branches, hunting steampunk lemurs and whichever else of the animals can survive the ever climbing woods of... The Tree-cherous Earth.

I couldn't help it, puns are my weakness xD
The whole thing wasn't just a setup for that joke, honest.
_____

Damascus Steel, Dragon tamer, Deepest ocean

chrispenycate

resident pedantissimo
Staff member
Supporter
Damascus steel, case hardened with the watermarked blade, was originally invented as a particularly nasty means of execution - a yellow hot sword blade was quenched in the victim. They then discovered that the sword itself was more flexible, while the edge was harder and would sharpen more. As their first (not over scientific) theory was that the spirit of the executee ended up in the blade, there were a lot of executions to supply the market, but fortunately, before depopulating the city they discovered that several blades could be case hardened in one criminal, that it didn't matter whether he was alive or dead (as long as he hadn't been dead too long) and that a sheep or dog could give identical results.

Dragon hunters like long spears, but you can treat the steel heads the same way, if you can stop the shaft from catching on fire - and you don't even need the forge fire, if you can get the beast angry enough.

But a wooden shaft is too easy to burn through, while a metal shaft was too heavy for any rapid movement, so ultimately the remaining pike-length spears were traded off to the mermen, for disposing of irritating krakens.

Post-armageddon aristocracy, angler, housekeeping.

Joshua Jones

Post Armageddon Aristocracy? I thought I was evil... :devilish:;)

Just to make sure I know the rules, do the actual words need to be said, or just the ideas, and do they need to be in order? Also, are there any limits to how many sentences can be used? I have an idea, but I want to make sure it is within the rules.

nixie

pixie druid
Staff member
Supporter
Post Armageddon Aristocracy? I thought I was evil... :devilish:;)

Just to make sure I know the rules, do the actual words need to be said, or just the ideas, and do they need to be in order? Also, are there any limits to how many sentences can be used? I have an idea, but I want to make sure it is within the rules.
Ill revive the thread by answering @Joshua Jones question.

I. You can use the idea instead of the actual words.
2. No they don't have to be in order.
3. Three sentences only.

Graymalkin

I like Amphiboles, me.
Post-armageddon aristocracy, angler, housekeeping

"Rad darling - I've caught the Mrs. Beetons - and it's mostly intact," said Inertia, as she unhooked the weedy mass from father's favourite Royal Wulff.

Both siblings climbed the river bank to stare hopefully towards the sprawling, teetering, crumbling, irradiated and exhausted ancestral home - smashed as it was, beneath the lurid streaks of ionising sky.

With the servants long gone before the first strike and Rad soon to go gloriously insane, couldn't they still keep busy and pretend it was nothing more than a doll's house and that they were children once more?

Taxi rank, Witch, birthday

Joshua Jones

Alright, let's give this a go...

"Well, looks like the planetary survey was wrong..." Jessica said as she looked out over the waves of sand standing in place of ocean waves, adding, "not much work for a swim instructor here, I suppose."

The villager shook his head and said, "Bad luck, Miss; my wife and I will make you some dinner."

As she walked out of the transport, the villager pulled out his communicator and said, "Honey, clean out the fridge; we'll have a big harvest tonight, and two more tomorrow!"

Let's do an easy one and see if we can get participation up...
Military officer, gas giant, space fighter.