Hugh Howey | So you want to be a writer...

That's a really great post, underlining the point that success takes a lot of hard work.

Some choice quotes:

I cut out videogames, mindless web-surfing, and TV, and I was amazed at how much time this freed up.
Want to write science fiction? Read crime thrillers and romance novels. Learn how to unspool a mystery and how to inject love into your stories.
Look at any professional athlete and all the sacrifices they made, all the mornings getting up early to hit the gym. That has to be you. No excuses.
stop stressing over the flowery sentences and trying to sound like a writer and come up with a story that, even told simply, is riveting.
What the hell is your voice? It’s how you write when you aren’t aware that you’re writing.

Last edited:
I liked this article. It made it seem possible to get somewhere in this business. Other articles (and many author success stories) made it seem like pure fluke, or having someone on the inside was the only way in. One author we had come in to uni told us that she got a 2 book deal without writing a single word as she was the book reviewer of a popular woman's magazine! Not terribly helpful!!

Yeah, good article, and some interesting comments.

While success as a writer is harder than it was a few years ago ('just write anything, and price it at $0.99, it'll sell!') ultimately, it all comes down to:

Write. Make each book better than the last one. Repeat.

Eventually you'll find the people who want to read the kind of books you write.

He did a talk for our local writers group last year, and he engages his audience so well. So many great insights!

Hi,

Two points stick out to me. First plot trumps prose. Can't agree enough. I'd rather read the worst written book about something happening that interests me then the best written book about paint drying.

And second writers groups and critiques. Invaluable.

Cheers, Greg.

But thinking about your writing while driving is a very bad idea.