So you think your novel will sell a million copies?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
It might not sell anywhere near as many copies as you think:
About that million seller... - MacGregor Literary

Uh-huh. Everybody thinks they’re going to sell a million copies. They hear about Fifty Shades of Gray and Hunger Games, and they think, “My book is just as good as those!”

Want a dose of reality? The 2015 sales reports are out. Take a look at how many books actually sold a million copies last year…

The answer? 14 fiction novels sold more than a million print and ebook editions in 2015. 6 if you count only print.

"Uh-huh. Everybody thinks they’re going to sell a million copies. They hear about Fifty Shades of Gray and Hunger Games, and they think, “My book is just as good as those!”

Concerning the books mentioned, I don't doubt their books ARE as good. -snicker- Unfortunately, it isn't often about how good your book is.

"Want a dose of reality? The 2015 sales reports are out. Take a look at how many books actually sold a million copies last year."

Hmmm....mine isn't listed... well, I was a few short (about 999, 630 short).

Hi,

Aah that's the joy of Kindle Unlimited. One month I had more than two million pages read last year from one book. OK in real world maths that was about the equivalent of two and a half thousand copies borrowed and read through - but by gosh do those seven figure numbers look good on a balance sheet!

Cheers, Greg.