How Lee Child Writes His Mysteries

The way Lee Child pilloried David Balducci for ripping off his character is hilarious. Writing in the character and author as a series of moronic cannon fodder throwaway characters is pure vindictive genius.

Made me laugh too. John Puller. It would be sad if it wasnt so funny.

That was funny. :D

He obviously doesn't believe in distractions; his office is practically bare, did you see the photo of his shelves?
I was quite chagrined to see its utter sparcity.
I immediantly got out the dust mop and recycle bin and started purging...crating up the back files, and chasing out the dust bunnies picnicing under my desk. It's still a clean in progress, but if minimalisation equals maximum productivity and quality, I am getting onboard.

I was quite chagrined to see its utter sparcity.
I immediantly got out the dust mop and recycle bin and started purging...crating up the back files, and chasing out the dust bunnies picnicing under my desk. It's still a clean in progress, but if minimalisation equals maximum productivity and quality, I am getting onboard.

But what if all the cleaning distracts you from the writing? ;)

The way Lee Child pilloried David Balducci for ripping off his character is hilarious. Writing in the character and author as a series of moronic cannon fodder throwaway characters is pure vindictive genius.
Reminds me of a slightly less subtle line from Leslie Charteris in one of the Saint books. Simon Templar asks a woman if she would like to go to the movies and says there was a Falcon movie on, the woman replies "why would you want to watch a bargain basement copy of yourself," Charteris later sued RKO.

And now I want to be Lee Child... Second drafts? Who needs those?:)

Lee Child has an INSANE amount of confidence in his writing and his character :) I can't think of anyone else who'd write just a single draft. I wonder if he counts going back and checking for typos/grammar as part of the one and only draft?

It gets better. Well, depending on where you are geographically it may get better. Lee Child and Professor Andy Martin (the guy from the article) are appearing at this year's Cambridge Literary Festival (formerly Wordfest) - the one in England rather than Massachusetts - on 14th April
Details are here:
Cambridge Literary Festival | Literature Festival – Lee Child & Andy Martin
Other events can be found in the full listing for those interested:
Cambridge Literary Festival | Literature Festival – What’s On

Plus, for added incentive, I'll be there. Probably saying something inappropriate like "I'm your number one fan" [cue the Misery montage]

Back